Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2014, 09:57 AM   #1

Needing some ethical advice, please.

Here's my story... Started looking at Tiffins late last fall. Became very interested in a 2014 Allegro 31SA, due to color and floor plan. While looking this unit over, the main entry door was closed and then got stuck. I went around and got in through the driver's side door, and pushed against the main door several times with no luck in it opening. Finally the salesman was able to pull it open from the outside.

The salesman assured us that it was an adjustment issue, and wanting to trust this large, reputable dealership, we went ahead and struck a deal on this unit and our trade-in. Prior to doing this we made a list of several other minor problems we noticed with the unit (dents in the reefer door, scratches on the wood trim, damage to a fan blade over the bed, a chipped floor tile, a scuffed dinette seat pull out drawer, and of course, the issue with the door).

We had camera and slide-out issues with our trade-in that were scheduled to be fixed before we would trade our class C in on the Tiffin, this gave the dealer about a month to fix the issues on our list. I was in frequent contact with the salesman and expressed to him that we expected the Tiffin to be in 'brand new' condition when we travelled there to make the purchase.

We set the date and prepared our trade-in to get the new Tiffin. While going through the unit on the delivery walk-through, we noticed that the dinette pull-out drawer had been replaced with another, equally damaged drawer. And the issue with the main entry door had not yet been addressed.

Spending money on gas (140 miles round trip), and a truck wash on our trade-in, and not wanting to have to return home with our old camper which would then sit in the driveway until spring, (not to mention we had signed a purchase agreement), we decided to go ahead with the purchase, making certain to document the issues we still had and take pictures and get assurance that they would be fixed. We now have a standing appointment to have it serviced as soon as there is a window in the weather to get it there.

Here is my ethical question: Should the dealer reimburse us for the price of gas used to take our new Tiffin in to be fixed, or should we have left it and refused to take delivery since it still had issues?

I would like to pursue a reimbursement, but not sure if I am right in doing so, after all, I bought the unit knowing it had problems...
JustJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2014, 10:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Buying a new rig... or dealing with dealers in general, can be a really frustrating experience.

I think I would approach them with a request to either reimburse you for the gas you used on a "wasted trip" because they hadn't done what they promised to do. If he won't go for a cash reimbursement, maybe reducing the price of a service, accessories, etc?

I don't think you have any "legal" right to be paid for your travel expenses but it doesn't hurt to ask.

FWIW, I don't think you necessarily did the wrong thing by taking the coach when you did.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:44 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

Dealers will not reimburse you for your costs to go back and forth or whatever you may have to do to get the problems solved.

One thing I would have done is with a punch list like you had I would not have purchased that Coach. I would have ordered one like the one you looked at or gone to another dealer. There is no excuse for a dealer to show a coach in that shape and not fix it before you purchased it.

Now that you have the coach then I would take a ride to Red Bay, Al and let them at the factory repair you problems and yes there will be an expense but you will probably have piece of mind that it is repaired correctly.

Good Luck!

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You might ask the dealer, Nicely, if they are willing to knock off a bit due to the hassle of dealing with the fixes they should have done before you picked it up.. But do not insist.

You did have an option.. And this is basically what wife and I did

When I took the trailer in,,, I came home with the tow vehicle, which eventually became the towed vehicle, till it died of old age.

Now I have a new towed.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
It never hurts to ask. I doubt they'll reimburse you for the gas, so be prepared to make them a counter offer for accessories or future service for a reasonable, if not equal to the gas cost amount as Rick suggested. Impart your disappointment with them but don't demand. Never hurts to throw in you belong to an RV-ing forum with lots of members who will read about your experience with this dealer & will share w/them the dealership name if asked.

Since the dealer didn't have the items fixed (there was a written list both you & they signed off on, right?) prior to pick up as you had requested them to do, it would be proper customer service for them to appease you somehow, but it is ultimately up to them to do what we consider the right thing by you.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:56 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice friends. So right RickO, dealing with dealers IS frustrating since you are trying to get the most for your vehicle while getting the best deal for the new rig. All this while trying to remain civil with the sales people, but not get 'taken' in the deal.

I guess we should have just walked away from that rig and ordered a new one like Tom-NC said. Many emotional reasons for going forward with the deal on that particular one. This is the Midwest's largest dealer and I guess I just didn't want to believe that they would treat us like the rinky-dink dealer in our town had with our first purchase.

Well, like many of you said, it doesn't hurt to ask for a reimbursement. And make an alternative offer if shot down. Time to call the salesman and start there..... I'll report back.
JustJude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:03 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
JustJude - check your PM's.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:42 PM   #8

Sounds like you need to go by Red Bay, AL in the near future. RV dealers will promise more than used car dealers to close a sale. Dave
Old 03-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Actually, our dealer - LaMesa, Albuquerque, NM - did reimburse us for two trips made to get little issues fixed. The first time, I asked. The second time, they volunteered. Good people!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #10

I don't think it could hurt for you to make a phone call to red Bay and explain your concerns. They might authorize your dealer or another of your choice to "make it right." Could save you a trip to Alabama
Jus sayin
Jeff
La-Z-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:08 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
MMMM 2 RVs at the lot we would stay in the old RV until the new one was correct.
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:03 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ethical Advice

I agree with Lazyboy, I would call Red Bay, they are terrific people, and are fairly strict with their dealers, they may step up here. But I also agree with those that said I would not have taken it, the possible loss of the sale would surly have trumped coming all the way back. We all get excited about the new item, but the dealer only wants the money!
denbob4369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:02 AM   #13

Of course you should ask AND insist - and lodge a formal complaint about the inaction of the salesman.

Reading the posts here, it is no wonder the RV industry thinks it can get away with poor service. We would complain bitterly if the fries at Maccas were cold, yet spend huge dollars on a motorhome and meekly accept whatever is served up.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I look at it this way. When you bought the rig the dealer had a list if items and a time line to make repairs. This is a contract. You arrived and the repairs were not made therefore the dealer did not full fill the contract. Your options to refuse which is your right due to breach. You took possession with new terms or an am ended contract. Options now are if they do not fulfil the terms if the new contract you are entitled to be made whole either through $$$$ if they are willing to do so. Sounds like something if they do not fulfil the contract it might be time for court.

Shaz
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice