Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2021, 02:45 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
New Alcoa Wheels for my 2018 Tiffin Wayfarer

So after fighting with replacing the rubber valve stems for steel ones, new valve extenders, jury-rigged extender stabilizers for the wheel simulators, etc. I bit the bullet and decided to upgrade to a 16x5.5 Alcoa Sprinter 3500 Dura-Bright Evo 6 Wheel package.

My first issue was finding the wheels. Most tire shops I talked with wanted to sell me only 4 wheels (most not even specific to the Sprinter) claiming the inside duals had to remain steel as aluminum wheels wouldn't fit as the wheel lugs were too short for the wider wheel profiles. Seems they were not aware that Alcoa had introduced new hub-centered wheels specifically for the Sprinter chassis hubs a couple of years ago that had thinner surfaces which exactly matched the thickness of the steel wheels, allowing aluminum for both the inside and outside duals. Then I ran into them saying that because the wheels are discontinued they cannot be found anywhere.

Bottom line is I found a great set at BuyTruckWheels.com (https://buytruckwheels.com/products/...ight-6-package), said a prayer before pressing submit with my credit card info, and lucked out. Within a week and a half I had received all 6 wheels, hub covers, lug nut covers, and a great valve extender kit for the duals. Came in 4 shipments (2 via FedEx from Las Vegas and 2 via UPS from Ohio). The wheels were all double boxed for extra protection. They also have a great YouTube video online about this specific set for the Sprinter 3500HD chassis if you are curious!

I took them to my local Les Schwab today and for less that $290 they mounted and balanced all the tires, mounted them on the vehicle, installed the hub covers & wheel nut caps, and installed the extenders for the duals.

Looks great and I've dropped weight! I also have the piece of mind knowing I'm not going to lose air out the valve stems or extenders on my next trip...

Best,
-Mark
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2021, 03:21 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pictures Please!
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:58 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Pictures Please!
Grabbed some pics yesterday while out exercising the generator.

Look ma, no crazy extensions, strange homemade grommets for the simulators, or overspray!

Best,
-Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211204_104442.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	373.4 KB
ID:	350651   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211204_104517.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	350652  

Name:	20211204_104526.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	260.5 KB
ID:	350653   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211204_104529.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	302.0 KB
ID:	350654  

Old 12-05-2021, 11:02 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
That looks great! Well done, all to often the wheels make the vehicle.
Old 12-05-2021, 04:41 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
That looks great. Keep 'em shiny with White Diamond polish.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 04:47 PM   #6

What is the advantage of having all six chrome as opposed to 4? Just weight?
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:53 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
What is the advantage of having all six chrome as opposed to 4? Just weight?
Weight is one, but for me the primary objective was to go with a much better valve stem extender setup on the longer steel valve stems on the inside duals for better reliability. With the steel rims the rubber valve stems need to go (they are both under rated for the recommended tire pressure and they flex and eventually break off). Even if you get after market steel valve stems installed to replace the rubber ones the steel wheel rim design is so narrow at the stem it is difficult for extenders to be mounted properly. Now I have a setup that is both very simple and quite reliable.

Best,
-Mark
MarkMaxPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 08:44 PM   #8

Congrats on the new wheels! They sure do look great! But, I donít understand the comments about lower weight. Itís true that the overall weight of the vehicle has decreased. However, it doesnít help the issue with the low OCCC, does it (since the wheels arenít supported by the axles, frame of suspension)?
Old 12-09-2021, 08:46 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerJake View Post
Congrats on the new wheels! They sure do look great! But, I donít understand the comments about lower weight. Itís true that the overall weight of the vehicle has decreased. However, it doesnít help the issue with the low OCCC, does it (since the wheels arenít supported by the axles, frame of suspension)?
Some articles that talk about sprung weight, unsprung weight, rotaional mass and their impact on drive trains, braking, acceleration. ..

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...f-wheel-weight

https://www.fitmentindustries.com/bl...-weight-matter

And yes, the feds include the weight of the wheels n the calcs for OCCC for these reasons.

Best,
-Mark
Old 12-10-2021, 08:39 AM   #10

They look real nice. When I bought my 2011 a year ago the wheels were in terrible shape and took me almost a whole day and a container of aircraft aluminum polish recommended by some Airstreamers to bring them back. Since then I have only had to clean them with Windex and paper towels. What I do is after washing my rig, I do all the glass with Windex and paper towels and as they get wet and dirty I finish them up on the wheels.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	front.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	309.3 KB
ID:	351112   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	351113  

bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 08:47 AM   #11

They all look great. I have 22.5 rims on my rig with 8 bolt hubs. Aluminum wheels are very expensive and very hard to find.
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 12:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrin View Post
They all look great. I have 22.5 rims on my rig with 8 bolt hubs. Aluminum wheels are very expensive and very hard to find.

Not hard to find. Yes expensive.

https://buytruckwheels.com/collectio...olish-aluminum
Rob_M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 10:37 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMaxPayne View Post
Some articles that talk about sprung weight, unsprung weight, rotaional mass and their impact on drive trains, braking, acceleration. ..

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...f-wheel-weight

https://www.fitmentindustries.com/bl...-weight-matter

And yes, the feds include the weight of the wheels n the calcs for OCCC for these reasons.

Best,
-Mark
Thanks for the articles! You learn something new everyday! For some reason, I was only thinking about the weight on the suspension. But (obviously) the less weight you need to accelerate (and decelerate) will help with gas mileage and braking distance.
Most of the articles are written about high performance cars and they seem concerned about 0-60mph times! Obviously that's not our concern, but the same principles apply. I certainly never thought about how the lower inertia has an effect on acceleration. Not sure how much it will help overall acceleration, but every little bit counts! Plus you're sporting some great looking wheels!
Old 12-14-2021, 11:54 PM   #14

New aluminum wheels

They look awesome!!!! Momcat

Tags
tiffin