Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2021, 07:08 AM   #1

New Coach Damage Dilemma

Tossing this out to see if there’s anything which I’m failing to take into consideration.

I ordered an Open Road 34PA in October. On January 23rd the delivery driver was ferrying it from the factory to the dealer and had an accident. The accident occurred in Dallas, 600 miles from the factory. The driver returned to the factory where the damage is being repaired.

From the photos I’ve been sent all damage appears to be cosmetic. The driver caught the passenger corner of the front cap on an object. Damage extends back to the passenger side front tire. The cap needs paint work only, but the fiberglass bodywork in front of the tire was torn. The center cap on the wheel was dented, but I don’t see any sign of damage to the wheel or tire. The repair estimate from Tiffin is about $4k.

I can accept the repaired coach, and Tiffin/the dealer will discount it by the repair $ amount. Alternatively, I can reject it and Tiffin will rebuild, but the replacement will be a 2022 model delivered in July. No discussion yet whether the negotiated price would hold or if I would get (significantly higher) 2022 pricing.

I am inclined to accept the repaired motorhome because I don’t want to miss out on my summer 2021 travel plans. Downsides/risks I’ve identified are 1) The rig will have about 2,200 miles on it rather than the 1,000 I was expecting. 2) that much less life out of the tires, brakes, etc. 3) Risk of unknown mechanical damage/issues. 4) Repair quality - not sure if Tiffin is replacing the panel or doing fiberglass repair to the existing panel. 5) Paint match/quality over time.

Is there anything that I am not thinking of here? My gut feel is the discount makes up for the extra miles, but that’s about it. Assuming the repair work is of good quality.

Alternatives would be to purchase another coach from stocK or find a used 34PA. In stock coaches are very thin on the ground, as you would expect, and I don’t think I could match my original price. Used 2019/2020/2021 34PA coaches are mostly asking more than my contracted price, and of course I give up full control of colors, options, etc.

Can you think of anything I’m missing here?
Shadow5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2021, 07:17 AM   #2

Things to consider:

I believe we have a 5 or 10 year warranty already on the body/fiberglass. You could ask for additional considerations there.

I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage depending on what your usage plans are. I'm lucky to put 6-7k/yr on mine so time is a bigger factor for me than mileage.

If I didnt have travel plans I would opt for the new coach all things being equal.

The thing I would be most concerned about is whether or not the VIN now has an accident with damage attached to it for future resale/trade in value.

On the other hand, it doesn't sound that serious and could be subject to your final inspection or that of an independent professional.

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:19 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have pictures you can post?

My biggest concern would be of unknown damage, was it a slow impact incident?

I would think that they would be able to repair the coach so that you would never even know it was damaged. Fiberglass is forgiving and the paint technology now almost guarantees a perfect match.
Tires age out long before they wear out unless you were planning to really drive it. My tires look like new but I need to replace due to age.

I wonder if this will show up on any type of auto accident check?

Only other thing is loss of use at the present time but not be a big issue right now.

If you can negotiate some sort of offset for the inconvenience I'd be inclined to go for it.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:25 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I would let Tiffin repair it, accept the discount, and enjoy my summer. It sounds like the damage is mostly cosmetic (paint and some fiberglass). Paint matching, at the factory using the original paint, is not an issue. Any wear/tear on the chassis, brakes, and tires is pretty minimal (1200 miles Dallas and back). Think of this as some extra break in time.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:01 AM   #5

Pictures attached below.

No car fax or other note of damage on the coach. No other vehicles involved, no police repot, no insurance claim. So it should maintain a clean report.

I have plans to spend the entire summer in the rig escaping the Texas heat. Waiting for a 2022 build would require me to cancel those plans, which I am unwilling to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D040BEFB-44E2-474D-9A14-715681DF6956.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	315792   Click image for larger version

Name:	B9E9F675-57D1-4CD1-BCE3-1E017BAD8D04.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	315793  

Old 01-26-2021, 08:09 AM   #6

Maybe ask them to also pay for an alignment? The wheel did get hit after all. And I don't know about Tiffin, but many motorhomes come out new needing an alignment.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:11 AM   #7

Given what your stated reasons and the photos you just showed. I'd take the money and take the current coach assuming the repairs meet your liking.

Mileage is irrelevant, the damage appears cosmetic. Ask for an alignment to be sure there is no wheel messiness. And enjoy your summer.
Driveby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:22 AM   #8

Not familiar with your particular rig but suspect the entire fender panel could be replaced with new and repainted--no fiberglass work....only concern for me would be any underlying damage to the axle and suspension/steering components--harder to discover and correct those....only immediate steering issues or eventual tire wear will tell the full story.....guess I would like some sort of written assurance that these kinds of potential issues will be addressed to your satisfaction????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:55 AM   #9

Shadow: I've seen much worse damage done by a tire blowout, and I am confident Tiffin can repair that damage and buff out the slight scrape on the front cap. I would take the money and enjoy your plans for the summer. I do think getting Tiffin to put something in writing that provides an UNLIMITED time period warranty on the area of fiberglass they repair and repaint. Sadly, Bob won't be there in the future to make good on verbal promises.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:01 AM   #10

A fiberglass repair in that spot is going to easy to see from the inside thus causing you to have to explain it to future buyers who will factor it into their offer.
RonLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:52 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I doubt Tiffin will repair, but rather replace the panel. Much easier for them and less labor. I would take the Mh and discount.
There should not be any accident report as it’s not an insurance claim.
The extra mileage is not important in the scheme of things. You’ll age out the tires before you wear them out.
garykk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:13 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
That repair is nothing. The wheel well panel is a screw on replacement. Minor scratches, the rest is remove and replace with the paint being the most expensive. Take the $4,000. and be happy.

There are more scratches repaired during manufacturing than people are probably aware of.

For others mentioning Carfax. It has never been registered, nothing to file against. It is still in manufacturing until delivery is accepted.

As for the 4,000 miles....one of my earlier coaches had over 4,000 return miles to the manufacture. It sold for higher than book value 4 years later. For my trouble the manufacture gave me a $2,500 fuel card, I was tickled to death and my coach was returned perfect.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:59 PM   #13

OP here. Thanks to all for sharing your thoughts. I didn’t think this was a big deal but wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing any downsides. Will move forward with the purchase so long as the appearance is acceptable when it arrives - which is no different than any other PDI.
Old 03-13-2021, 03:07 PM   #14

Was reading through your post, have you received your coach and how did it turn out? I have a stress crack in my passenger side under the tv. I was thinking about running it back to Red Bay for repair. Cheaper than having local dealer repair.
rlavender is offline   Reply With Quote