Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #1

New Owner can't figure battery

I just bought a 1987 30 ft Alegro and cant find the specs or where the other batteries would go. Also cant figure out generator. Failed smog so this may be short lived retirement lol.
Unratedxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2019, 08:27 PM   #2

Congratulation on the new acquisition. Having owned, several older coaches, there are some things I learned. Figure out who made the chassis, Ford, Chevy, etc... From that information, you can search for information on that chassis for the running parts of the coach. Any nearby parts store can likely help if you give them the model and chassis number from the chassis.

Coach parts are mostly standard across the industry. Take the generator for example if it is a 3000W Onan, you can search for the Onan model number followed by manual to find information about the generator. Luckily on the older units the controls are simple, unlike the newer units. Perhaps no more than one small panel with a volt meter and a start button.

Another resource is the Tiffin factory. They still have some old folks there that remember how the old units were assembled so a call to them may net you a manual or other help.

As for where the batteries were located, you can start tracing wires and looking in compartments, in cabinets, under beds, etc. There will be big cables from the generator to the battery location for starting, just as there are big cables from the engine to the engine batteries. That is one place to start. It is possible that there was only on set of batteries instead of two like the newer units have. My first rig only had one set of batteries. If you left the lights on at night you could not crank in the morning.

It is likely that all the lights and other equipment inside runs on 12 volts as some of then did not have inverters. This place has lots of useful parts https://www.etrailer.com/maindept-RVandCamper.aspx

I hope you find what you need. Fixing up the older units is a lot of fun and very rewarding.
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:16 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
You have two groups of batteries - chassis and house. The chassis battery for a gas engine coach is mounted under the hood in the front of the coach. The house batteries (either 2 6V or 2 12V) are generally mounted under the entry steps. Look for a latch on the top step and remove the top step to access the batteries.

Battery charging is done either by the engine alternator or the converter (charger). All batteries are charged by the alternator when the engine is running but only the house batteries are charged by the converter when plugged into shore power or when the generator is running.

The coach gets 120V power from either shore power (plugged in) or the generator. Since you only want power from one source at a time, a transfer switch controls which source powers the coach.

That's the basics; do you have specific questions?
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The older coaches I have come across don’t have a transfer switch. The generator must plugged in. The outlet is usually in the genset compartment.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #5

The house and chassis batteries could both be located under the hood. On my 77 the house and starting batteries were just mounted above the fenders. On my 93 the house and starting batteries were located behind the front bumper.

Tags
battery