Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2020, 08:49 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
pacwest,
Wow! Being able to view the GPS maps on the overhead TV, for the co-pilot, sounds cool.
I don't know if that is possible on my coach. I'm thinking it is not as I have seen nothing in the instructions about projecting to another screen.
Does anyone else know for sure?
JohnCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2020, 12:00 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
As I remember, this feature was one of those many undocumented capabilities. The original intention of the wiring may have been to allow you to use the CD/DVD capability of the dash unit and direct it to the front TV rather than watching only on the dash. When we did the PMI on our Entegra, the tech showed us how to use it.
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 11:51 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
I like the built in unit on our bus. It knows you are a RV and warns you of grades, tight turns and narrow roads. It does not have real-time traffic. Driving thru metro areas we use Waze on one of our iPhones. It’s the best. And free. We occasionally see what Waze says vs the dash unit. Jeff
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:30 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
My new Tiffin (10 days old) is equipped with dash Nav, a Kenwood DNX775RVS. It has an enormous number of features beyond the Nav capability. Overall it is OK and does the job. I believe you must pay for map updates but probably not often as the roads don't change much. If you own a Garmin the Kenwood will be familiar to you. I am somewhat concerned with its placement as you have to take your eyes off the road and the display is a little small for me. I have yet to figure out how to get the Nav voice to come on although I'm sure it's my unfamiliarity with it. It does support Apple Car Play and Android. I also have yet to figure out how to update the maps. The instructions seem to call for a software button that does not exist or at least I haven't found it. I believe their is no charge for the first map update. It also has a trucker option. I used it when the RV option wanted to send me home on the Blue Ridge Parkway despite the almost 13 foot height of my RV. My backup plan is to use my Iphone map feature, an Iphone to HDMI adapter (about $10.00), and a 15 inch POS (point of sale) display and place it on the dashboard. I have an HDMI adapter and tested it with my home TV and it works great. Hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:17 AM   #19

From a previous post that I responded to. I just updated mine within the last 6 months I think. It was actually a 3-year update on the maps. I updated the operating system first and then the maps. You have to follow the instructions carefully and it works fine.

"NP. Here is the link to the update site for the Kenwood and the Garmin maps. It's a 2-step process.

https://kenwood.garmin.com/kenwood/s...igin=mapUpdate

Remember to update the head unit to latest vs 1.5.x if not already installed.

The current map version is North America NT 2019.

A few new features on the Kenwood since vs. 1.3.x that I had.

I accessed the bundled up USB cable on the back of the Kenwood unit. Last year I couldn't get the thing to update using the SD slot on the front so I gave up. Turns out, operating system has to be updated before the Garvin/maps.

Popped the cover and there was the USB cable. Updated Kenwood system version to 1.5.0 with thumb drive via the USB cable then updated the maps with the SD card in the front to 2019 vs. Went smooth as silk.

I had the previous 2016 vs of maps so there were definitely updates. Funny, the 2019 found addresses that have been around since the 90's that the 2016 version didn't.

I paid $69.99 for the map update. The Kenwood head unit software update is free."

Paul
2023 Ford Expedition 4WD; M&G 2.0/Blue Ox Avail
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:15 PM   #20

hwy 22 or i 22 leaves b'ham going toward red bay...

this road was not on my 18 open road....
nor on my 19 open road...

hard to believe the main drag from the south of tiffin wasn't on their in dash nav systems.
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:44 PM   #21

Check your map version. My 2018 had 2016 map version on it and it couldn't find much older addresses. When I did the Garmin upgrade they showed up.

Also, Hwy 60 which goes clear across Florida...and has since Prohibition...wasn't on the maps. I think it was a setting that I found in the set up for level of roads/hwys on routes to show. Or, it appeared when I upgraded. At any rate, it is there now with the NT 2019 map version.

Paul
Old 07-20-2020, 07:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjon View Post
I have yet to figure out how to get the Nav voice to come on although I'm sure it's my unfamiliarity with it. It does support Apple Car Play and Android. .
I had some Garmin voice issues when I paired with my iPhone. Touch the lower left corner of your screen for one second and a different setup menu will come up with screen brightness and other settings for each function. the voice interface may be there also. This particular screen on mine doesn't come up through the setup menu. I think it is designed to come up with a touch of the corner so you can adjust on the fly.

Paul
Old 07-21-2020, 08:19 AM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Mixed on in-dash GPS

I like the convenience of an in-dash unit, but the map update is a royal PITA. Any GPS without free map updates costs way too much. I prefer Garmin (I've owned them for years). They generally do the right thing. My last RV didn't have in-dash so I used the RV760. Really like it. Now the wife uses it in the passenger seat. Putting the map on the front TV is a plus, and makes it easy for the wife to compare routes, etc.

The radio is a Kenwood DNX571TR and has decent audio. We listen to Sirius XM and CDs mostly. I replaced the radio and speakers in my last RV... made a world of difference is quality.
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:01 PM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
The Kenwood is a great head unit. The speakers that Tiffin supply not so much. I updated the speakers, deleted the one behind the wood louvers and added two down near the floor in the drivers footwell and facing the passenger seat. Added a small amp connected to the RCA jacks on the back of the head unit and added a powered Sub hidden in the dash in front of the passenger seat. Sounds GREAT.

On the new 2021 bus we have on order, that Kenwood unit can be controlled with a tablet. I would check to see if yours can also. Our 2014 could not.. Jeff
Old 07-28-2020, 05:11 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Just FYI, while the new JBL system being offered for additional $$ has a larger screen size. It does NOT offer apple car play, which we use a lot. Jeff
Old 07-30-2020, 12:09 PM   #26

New Red Option - Nav

I have a 2020 Allegro Red that I ordered with Navigation built into the radio. It is a Kenwood radio, model DNX775RVS, that is now the standard radio if you want the navigation system, which by the way, is provided by Garmin. The radio first became available for Tiffin in April of 2019, on a limited basis for some 2019 models, but is offered as the go to radio in 2020 and beyond if you want navigation in your Allegro Red. So anyone that has a radio with navigation in their coach that is older than a late 2019 model year does not have the DNX775RVS radio/navigation system.

I like the navigation system. It has many features beyond navigation, such as the ability to program in the weight and dimensions of you motorhome so that you are not directed down a road or over a bridge or under a bridge that won't accommodate your motorhome. It also shows what is at the next exit in the way of services, shows truck stops for fuel and repairs, rest stops, dump stations, campgrounds in the surrounding area, as well as numerous other information you may be interested. It is also programable to fit your wants and needs.

My all time favorite thing about this radio is the built in Blue Tooth which allows the co-pilot to use a tablet with the Android operating system to mirror exactly what the pilot sees on the DNX775RVS radio/navigation system. It also allows the co-pilot to make changes from their tablet to the radio/navigation system. This feature allows the pilot to keep their eyes on the road instead of the navigation system. My wife now does all the navigation on her ten inch tablet.

Pacwest, if you have any questions regarding the DNX775RVS system I suggest you call Tripple H Electronics in Red Bay, Alabama at 1-256-356-9671 and ask for Dallas. Tripple H Electronics supplies the radios and navigation systems for Tiffin motorhomes. Dallas is the owner of Tripple H Electronics and is extremely knowledgeable. Like you, I had questions about the navigation system before I ordered. He answered all my questions and I haven't regretted ordering the coach with the DNX775RVS radio with navigation.

Good luck, and happy camping!
skitcharoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:15 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Skitcharoo - Any special trick for imaging your Kenwood DNX775RVS on an Android tablet? Kenwood app required?
JohnCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 07:22 AM   #28

JohnCZ

No special trick. Just download the app and follow the simple instructions in the owners manual. It took me about two minutes to download the app and then sync it to the Kenwood radio. The radio has it's own Bluetooth but the signal only carries a short distance so you have to be inside the coach for it to connect to the Android tablet. A word of warning though, the Android operating system has to be OS7.0 or newer for the tablet to work with the radio.
skitcharoo is offline   Reply With Quote