Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2020, 10:34 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
New RED option - Nav

Looking at ordering a new 2021 RED 37BA. One option is for the Nav system. I’ve heard many people say that one shouldn’t waste the money for this option. One dealer I spoke to suggested that the audio portion of this unit is better than the system you get when you settle for the standard radio. I would prefer to read about the two units before making up my mind.

So... for any of you out there that have a 2021/2020 Red, if you have the Nav system what is the make and model? If you have the “plain” radio, what is your make and model?

Thanks for the assist.
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2020, 11:15 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not a fan of the built in Nav systems. Can soon become a problem for updates availability. Mounted down in the dash takes your eyes off the road.

I use a 8" tablet with nav app mounted on the dash.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:48 AM   #3

Ordered 2020 37BA , picked up in December. We skipped the NAV and bought Garmin. Our sound is very good in the Kenwood, we play CD's and listen to XM on my phone blue toothed to the radio.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 05:54 AM   #4

I am not a fan of built in navigation systems either. For example, I have a Highlander with built-in nav. First, they want a couple hundred bucks to update the maps (you have to buy a new micro SD card and plug it in). Second, the usability is, to be kind, terrible. It's like they looked at every Garmin and Magellen unit ever made, and picked the worst usability features from both manufacturers in combination. Third, I tend to keep cars for a long time, and I suspect they will stop updating the maps long before I get something newer. I didn't want the nav but the option package I did want included it and there's no option to delete it. I mostly just ignore it. (Current models have, I understand, dumped the useless nav in favor of Android Auto and its Apple equivalent.)

Likewise, there is a Windows XP computer built into our Tiffin that has nav. At some point between 2006 and 2020, Tiffin stopped providing map updates for it. We can still use it, but new roads and changed clearances and weight limits are of course not represented in its map set. I just use the display for the rear view camera and rarely if ever boot up the computer.

What I did do was replace the original head unit in our coach with one that supports Android Auto. Since it uses the phone, it has easy to use voice recognition that works to set or reset a destination. I generally use Google Maps, but you can also use Waze, and the Apple equivalent of Android Auto is also supported. Of course, these apps DO NOT avoid bad RV routes, so you have to be aware of where they are routing you and act accordingly. For that, we have a Magellan GPS and a trucker's atlas. We use those when it's not obvious that we'll be on roads we don't have to worry about.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:17 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post
Ordered 2020 37BA , picked up in December. We skipped the NAV and bought Garmin. Our sound is very good in the Kenwood, we play CD's and listen to XM on my phone blue toothed to the radio.
Can you please post the model of your Kenwood? Thanks
Old 07-15-2020, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I'm not a fan of the built in Nav systems. Can soon become a problem for updates availability. Mounted down in the dash takes your eyes off the road.

I use a 8" tablet with nav app mounted on the dash.

Pic? Does it shake?

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacwest View Post
can you please post the model of your kenwood? Thanks
dpx5938t
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:21 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
We had the Nav system in our Allegro RED since it was bought off the lot. When we ordered our Phaeton, I did not want the Nav. We found it was basically useless since you can't pre-program routes and the maps get outdated. I have a Garmin RV760LMT I've been using for five years and love it. Lifetime maps updates and traffic warnings. I find the Kenwood radio that came with the Phaeton is very nice with Satellite, USB, CD, AM/FM, etc. I'm not an audiophile but an avid music listener and it sounds great to me.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 12:48 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with Dan, don’t waste your money. The Nav system will probably need an update by the time you get the MH. They are expensive and cumbersome to install if the software needs update as well.
Our Nav system just brought us down a dead end road the other day. Had to unhook toad and back up a ways. :(
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post
dpx5938t
Thanks!
Old 07-15-2020, 03:50 PM   #11

The nav screens make for a great place to stick your Garmin to, otherwise useless.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:32 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for all your answers to my original post. Got the answer I needed. Just needed to see if the standard radio was sufficient for our needs and it is.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Just for another opinion. We picked up our 2020 RED 37BA in May, with the NAV.
It is a Kenwood DNS775RVS with Garmin GPS.
I like this unit. It works great. The view in the dash location is fine as I don't need to stair at it while driving.
I also like that it is Garmin GPS, since I am already familiar with the Garmin UI.
It allows you to program in the dimensions and weight of your coach, supposedly to be used in selecting routes.
I already owned a Garmin with lifetime maps that I don't need anymore for my car. So, I will let my DW use this so she can search for fuel, food etc, while I drive, and we will get to compare routes selected by the two Garmins.
As far as map updates, I did not see any notice of charges for downloading updates on the website. But, I will see for sure soon, when I do my first update. I believe they are free, or at least appear to be. Along with the software updates.
To each, their own.
JohnCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 01:16 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
JohnCZ:
We had a unit similar to yours on our previous coach. While it provided good audio options etc, the nav portion was rarely used as our primary gps. My main gps is a Garmin dezl 769LMT which I mounted on the side window using a suction cup mount. I preferred this location as it was easy to reference without taking my eye totaling off the road. The one feature we really liked, was the ability to view the gps screen on the forward tv screen while driving. My wife used that screen as reference. Not sure if this is a capability with your Tiffin but it was on our 2013 Entegra.