Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 PM   #1

new rv owner

just purchased my 1st mh. it is an 1999 allegro bay 34' with slide. has the v10 and i believe the 18,000 gvwr chassis. man...just drove it 8 hours home from dallas with a 2 hour traffic stop in austin. learning how to drive this thing and then, wham..night driving. do any of you have any suggestions on how to improve ride and handling of this unit? i drove maybe 10 other gas units and 2 diesel pushers before we bought this one. shoulda never drove those dp's....maybe on the next one. they all drove about the same. just wondering abiut how to tighten up the handling and swaying of this when tooling down the highway at 65. thanks for any help with this. this forum has given me lots of info...sometimes i feel too much to digest, but good info non the less.
r00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #2

If you've been lurking for a while , you know first thing to check on handling is weights and tire pressures. If you picked it up and ran empty on this trip I'll bet the tires were inflated to way to way to high a pressure.
Please take a few mins. to fill out a signature line in your " User CP" putting your RV's info on that line will add it to the bottom of your posts so you won't have to type it in with every question.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #3

Just a small suggestion.....slow down. One, you will get better gas milage and two, it is safer. We pull a toad and even on highways where the speed limit is 70 or 80 we rarely go above 60. Even when we had our 96' Damon Intruder we never went over 60. Our current RV is a 2003 Allegro Bus 40DP and it would willingly do 65 or more, but we keep her reigned in....55 is our average. :-)
ladybostons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On our DSDP my VMSpc shows better mileage at just under 65 than it does at 55 and it doesn't downshift at every hill either. That could be due to having the Banks kit though as the torque curve is much higher/wider than stock. Anyway, I keep it at 60 since it is less stressful on me.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #5

Pretty sure one of my problems is worn out shocks. Just read thru all the service records...was like an reading an encyclopedia. Lots of things changed over the years. The previous owner kept records of everything. But the shocks are still original, 14 years old and 96,000 miles. Now comes the million dollar question. What type of shocks would you guys recommend?
r00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #6

r00ster, you probably know that Ancira RV in Boerne is the Tiffin dealer in this area. Good folks. Call service writer Tim for shock info and pricing. They do good work. Good folks.

Next time you go to Dallas try 281 to Burnet then 29 to IH35. Bypassing Austin....always bad traffic... enjoy your RV.
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #7

Forgot about the 281 route. So used to taking the toll roads and flying at 90+ in the wife's Mazda 5. Decided to go thru Austin because I wasn't going to try and be Mario Andretti in a motor home. I will surely remember the 281 route. Camping world in new braunfels has my motor home ATM. Getting them to do their 45 point inspection to find out if anything needs fixing or replacing. I know how to fix most things on a car, but this rv thing is something I need just learn what I can do and what I can't. Thanks again for the route info. Just wanted to make sure there were no safety issues that I needed to fix before I let my kids or wife ride in this land yacht.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #8

45 points? I might have them beat by double
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:17 AM   #9

Well, the main reason I got them to do the inspection was for them to try and find things that needed fixing. That way I will get a punch down list of things that I need to do. Also of there is any safety concerns I could immediately fix those. Thanks to everyone. Nice to not see haters lurking about on these forums.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #10

Just put koni shocks on my 2002 allegro bay feels and drives like a new one. I had the swaying problem
ixtapamayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #11

I am going to put koni fsb shocks as my 1st mod after the chf fix. Think I can do most of the work myself. Just going to have to buy a good impact drive to get those 14 year old shock mounts loose.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #12

I found brazel rv to be the cheapest place to get konis on line very nice people to deal with they have answers to just about any problem you have.
ixtapamayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #13

Thanks, I will check on them.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by r00ster View Post
Well, the main reason I got them to do the inspection was for them to try and find things that needed fixing. That way I will get a punch down list of things that I need to do. Also of there is any safety concerns I could immediately fix those. Thanks to everyone. Nice to not see haters lurking about on these forums.
Nice to see people can take a joke
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote