Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2014, 12:55 PM   #1

Newbie Making 1st Cold Weather Trip

We are real Newbies. Just picked up our 36LA at the end of September. We are located in Miami, FL and have made several trips to the Keys and Central Fla. We are thinking of making our first cold weather trip to Gatlinburg, TN at the end of December. Please give me advice on what we should do to avoid any freezing problems while driving and while camping. We will be on shore power at the campground. Thank you in advance for any help. (Remember, we are really new at this so it is more like Cold Weather Camping for Dummies)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #2

We took a quick trip to myrtle beach this past weekend. it was cold! even though I have 2 co2 detectors, I'm still Leary about running the gas furnaces while asleep.
Make sure you have an electric blanket!!
Old 11-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
You should have a Wireless remoter thermometer or two to monitor temps in wet bay and other areas:

AcuRite Digital Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer - Walmart.com

If you have a ceramic or other small electric heater, you might wish to pack it along. Just remember if your wet bay is heated by your furnace it might get cold if you use the electric heater more than the furnace.

A trouble light or some other lamp to plug in to add heat to the wet bay.

Extension cords.

Other than that, enjoy the Smokies! We were at Yellowstone last September when it dropped to the 20º and 4" of snow, and have also done other cold weather trips. No issues, and we freely use the furnace when needed, while traveling or stopped. It's designed to vent exhaust to the outside, just don't open the window that's right above the furnace exhaust!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:28 AM   #4

What I would be concerned with is possible ice and snow from Atlanta to Knoxville. It appears that this winter will be similar to last winter. Dave
Old 11-21-2014, 06:01 AM   #5

weather

have you looked at weather apps like this to see what's predicted
Joliet Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for IL 60432
just click in box to change city and use extended or monthly
Old 11-21-2014, 06:56 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
You need to run the heat in the back of the MH where the water tanks are to keep them from freezing. The remote temp sensor is a great idea, i use them, gives me peace of mind that I'm OK. Most troublesome problem I've faced is the new style tankless water heater. Instructions say to turn it off when traveling, don't want it coming on and flaming out. OK, so, if you're driving and it's cold, that spiral copper tube with water in it will freeze. I run potable anti freeze up the hot water line before I run in cold weather. Try not to run when the roads are sloppy and salted. Really makes a mess of all the "stuff" exposed underneath. Power steps, leveling jacks, LP tank etc are all exposed. I don't think folks in Red Bay have any idea what a real winter looks like. When you are camping, fill your water tank, disconnect and drain your water line and run off the tank. Refill as needed. Do the same with your waste lines, dump, close valves and disconnect and drain lines. Night time temps will likely be cold enough to freeze outside water lines.
Old 11-21-2014, 07:09 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to winter camping, that's one of the subjects in this link plus it also has winter travels.
You need to have a full LP tank to start and fresh water tank full in case you cannot use your water hose, but there are ways around that also.
Running your furnace will jeep everything warm and toasty including you.
We have camped in 1* temps for several days so you can do it also.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:47 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heated water hose

You can also buy a heated fresh water hose like this one, if you want to stay connected to the CG's fresh water supply. They come in several lengths.

25 ft. PIRIT Heated Hose - Sykes Hollow Innovations Dba P PWL-02-25 - Hoses, Reels & Fittings - Camping World

In addition to CW, you can find them at Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, & hardware stores.
ceemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:54 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Wow, $109 for a heated hose? What's wrong with filling the tank and using the on board pump? At CG I've visited in cold weather, they won't let you leave a hose (heated or not) connected. The hydrant can freeze when left full of water.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:03 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgman50 View Post
We took a quick trip to myrtle beach this past weekend. it was cold! even though I have 2 co2 detectors, I'm still Leary about running the gas furnaces while asleep.
Make sure you have an electric blanket!!
Everyone has their own degree of comfort. I spent the winter in my MH last year in Oklahoma while the wife was doing some contract work. We saw 6 below zero for a few days and single digit temps quite a bit. We used our furnace and never thought anything about it.

I cannot agree strong enough with the posters that say to get the remote thermometer and put it in the wet bay area. It is a great peace of mind to look at that thermometer and know what the temp is in there. I also use a small inexpensive electric heater from Walmart ( get one with knobs to control temps not digital. If power goes off you will still have temp set when it comes back on) Other advice is right on the money. When freezing temps are expected disconnect fresh water hose from campground connection and run off of tank. Camgrounds often have freeze proof faucets they cannot work with hoses attached. We use electric heaters to conserve propane but you have to be careful where you plug them in. I only have a couple of non inverter receptacles and they will trip the inverter if I try to plug into it.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 09:56 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The best advice I can think of is to leave the coach in Miami. The risks of freezing temps and icy roads aren't worth taking the coach to Gatlinburg at the end of December.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #12

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I appreciate all your help.

Tags
cold weather, newbie