Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2022, 04:18 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Newbie Requesting Tiffin Phaeton Research for Purchase Advice

I'm excited as a newbie to this forum!

We have decided upon the eventual purchase of a "used" Tiffin Phaeton 40 OH class-A for my wife and I in retirement to see America or Snow-bird away from the East coast.

I truely am in need of your suggestions on what I may want to consider during my research phase in the purchase of a Class-A (never owned class-A) i.e. extended warranties, must have option(s), negative on-the road expenses to expect, etc., etc.
Happenindad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2022, 04:27 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Get out there and kick some tires!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 06:52 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks MSHappyCampers!
Happenindad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:44 AM   #4

Research--research--research. There are several Tiffin forums on Facebook to monitor for lots of good info.
Find a floorplan you like--OH? already done this step. Suggest you watch the used market and look at as many as you can. When you find a potential buy, locate an RVIA certified inspector to look at it, this $6-700 will save you a lot and probably point out some price bargaining items. Extended warranties? Probably best to put money aside and use it as needed/add to it regularly. Keeping up with the fine print on these warranty companies requires a lawyer...
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:05 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sounds like you've already picked your floor plan. Congrats! That's hard to do. Once you've located "the one" get a good inspection. You can skip the extended warranty. They're generally not worth the paper that they're printed on. Put that money away in a savings account and use it for any repairs. You'll come out ahead. In my opinion, anything they try to up sell you on isn't worth it.

Options are up to you. It all depends on what you like and how you'll use it. Just about anything you can get from the dealer you'll be able to add later if you decide you want it. Take a look around at other RVs at a show or on the lot and see what options they have. Some will be great and you'll want them right away like a washer and dryer and some will look great but will find no place in your camping time. We initially signed up for satellite TV, for example, and never found a reason to watch it. A lot of people want to setup a car to tow behind their rig right away. See if you can get the dealer to throw it in or give you a discount if you do it at time of purchase. Good luck!
Old 05-16-2022, 12:38 PM   #6

Ditto on all the advice above. We previously had a 2016 phaeton of the exact model you are looking at. Loved the floor plan. Get it inspected, do your research, and know what you’re willing to pay. RV prices are still inflated and just know unless you are incredibly maintenance and electrical savvy, nothing cheap to fix. RVs are expensive to maintain but truly enjoyable to own. Get out and use it and safe travels.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:21 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum. Good choice on coaches. Do have it inspected by someone you hire.

You are joining a good group of friends here with good information to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up or add information if you can.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 07:10 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Many really see service contracts in a bad light. I just consider it insurance for the first several years if your coach has no warranty. Pick a good one and you may or may not get your money back. But, can you afford a 5 or 10 or 30 thousand dollar repair? It gave me great peace of mind for three years. I got most of the money back. I did not extend when it expired and than had a $4,500 repair in the 4 Th year. After having it a couple of years I felt I could accept the risk. I have a 2013 purchased in 2016. I have had major Cummins engine and coach repairs. Mostly after the extended warranty. I say that just to remind you that there can be many expensive repairs. Some have had better luck or worse luck than I have had. I would buy it again but, they are money pits that bring great experiences.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:47 AM   #9

Answer depends on how old a rig you're looking at

Partially because the bus and phaeton are pretty similar; on the used market you have the option of buying a year or two older bus and getting the independent front suspension and side mounted radiator, better engine brake (you'll use it in the mountains) plus (depending on model year) additional upgrades.

Depends on how old the rigs are. I might rather have a one year old Phaeton than a three year old bus, I guess; but would way rather have a 14 year old bus than a 12 year old phaeton by a wide margin

Get one with aquahot, which is absolute bliss if you plan on spending much time on the rig

I would suggest three inspections:

1. Yours, in which you run every system you can get your hands on, make sure everything is working during the test drive (lights, wipers, dash AC, cruise control, engine brake, everything), make sure the shocks aren't too bouncy, take down the tire codes (so you can figure out how old they are -- tires are expensive and you have to swap em about every five years regardless of tread depth) and call the Tiffin factory to see if all the recalls are up to date (they are super super nice and will be excited you're joining the family, so just call em). Do the smell test; that's critical. No matter how old the rig, it should smell of fine oiled hardwood and that's about it
2. Normal pre-purchase inspection by an RV tech. They will come to the rig. They will double check systems, make sure there's no water damage, make sure the toilet works, check the awnings and stuff like that. Get one who understands electricity and have em check your batteries (there's a bunch of em), switch and invertere/charger if it's an older unit.
3. Have a diesel mechanic look it over, and go ahead and drop the bucks on a detailed inspection. Oil analysis at a minimum. Me, I'd have them drop the pan, crawl around under there and check the air system, check the brakes. Get an estimate for a proper annual (not just an oil change, everything.

Diesels are not indestructible, they have to be maintained properly and even then they need rebuilding from time to time, at intervals (I would submit) that are kind of unpredictable for motorhomes. And there's no such thing as an in-frame rebuild on a Tiffin, you're looking at a factory reman when it gets to be rebuild time, and when that time comes is partially how the po ran and maintained the thing, and partially luck of the draw (note, I wouldn't rule out a factory reman if the price is right, but that's a rather unpleasant surprise scenario, believe me when I say these things). Have somebody who knows what they are doing look it over in detail. Yes, it's expensive. You'll get used to opening up your checkbook at the big rig shop, that's just a reality of life.

Tiffins don't stay on the market very long, don't be surprised if you find yourself doing a nationwide search for the right rig.
Old 05-24-2022, 05:11 PM   #10

Welcome and we have a 2017 44OH and just love it. We aren’t full timers and several years away from retirement so enjoy every moment. A lot of good advice already and the advantage of buying used is the former owner worked out all (hopefully) the bugs for you. We bought ours new which was our 2nd new motorhome when we replaced our Newmar Canyon Star Toy Hauler gasser. We had a lot of quality control issues with our Newmar that should have been fixed before it was sold off the dealers lot which required multiple trips to Newmar. Thankfully our Tiffin was much better prepared but none of the new coaches seem to ever be delivered without needing at least 1 trip back to the factory for service. Ours only required one and the service department at Tiffin in Red Bay was fantastic. My guess is with fuel prices where they are and other travel options opened up there will soon be a large supply if not a glut of used coaches to choose from. Having said that all used Tiffins seem to go quickly and the 44OH floor plan is pretty difficult to find. If you buy from a dealer get in writing everything you want fixed or adjusted before signing and stay a night or two at the dealer or a close by campground again with the understanding your dealer will make the adjustments needed that you might find during your first 1-2 nights stay in your new coach. All decent dealers should be agreeable to that and walk away if they aren’t. They are making their highest profits in years on used coach sales so again they should accommodate you fairly. Good luck finding your new rig!
dvredc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2022, 07:14 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happenindad View Post

I'm excited as a newbie to this forum!

We have decided upon the eventual purchase of a "used" Tiffin Phaeton 40 OH class-A for my wife and I in retirement to see America or Snow-bird away from the East coast.

I truely am in need of your suggestions on what I may want to consider during my research phase in the purchase of a Class-A (never owned class-A) i.e. extended warranties, must have option(s), negative on-the road expenses to expect, etc., etc.
Hi, we have just listed our Phaeton 40 IH for sale. We too were newbies when we bought last July. If you would like mire information on our listing PM me. Thanks.

Kevin
Mr. Banker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:19 AM   #12

Relax

Use an NRVIA certified inspector. I have inspected many Tiffins and find them generally in better condition.

Usually this is because when I show up the owner has a folder 3 inches thick with maintenance records.

The bounder folder is half inch thick....not so much...f it can be found.
ddavep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:58 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Maybe selling ours 2019 Phaeton IH at end of summer. Keep my contact info and check with me mid August,if interested.
trdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 05:17 PM   #14

Obviously you have gotten some good advise here and this forum is always open for more questions. Having said that here is my first question in looking for a used coach. " do you have all of the service and maintenance and any recall documents available" ? if the answer is no I thank them and move on. Some will not agree with that but I have seen far to many owners make what is a very expensive investment because they fell in love with how clean it looked, then find out so many things were never serviced, up to including losing a 600 hp Cummins diesel engine. Don't be in a hurry, do your home work and save yourself what could be possible grief !

Tags
advice, newbie, phaeton, purchase, tiffin