Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #1

No more Coach Proxy

I had an email from Coach-Proxy stating that after current inventories are depleted they will no longer offer the product but will support existing units. First thought is not to buy one but would like to hear other opinions. Also, not sure it would be worth the extra cost to get it up and running since I don't have WiFi or MiFi.
dennish2024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennish2024 View Post
I had an email from Coach-Proxy stating that after current inventories are depleted they will no longer offer the product but will support existing units. First thought is not to buy one but would like to hear other opinions. Also, not sure it would be worth the extra cost to get it up and running since I don't have WiFi or MiFi.
Just my preference since I've been using CoachProxy since the beta testing days but I would get one while they last. You don't have to have WiFi to use it since you can connect directly to its built in WiFi from your phone, computer or tablet.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:54 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
Just my preference since I've been using CoachProxy since the beta testing days but I would get one while they last. You don't have to have WiFi to use it since you can connect directly to its built in WiFi from your phone, computer or tablet.
Agree. When in or near your rig the built in WiFi connection is great for phone/tablet use. External wifi works for monitoring things (or turning off that light you left on) remotely.

Best,
-Mark
MarkMaxPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:00 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We got it just in case a Spyder panel went out but I find that I use it frequently to control some of the shades. The Spyder panel in ours doesn’t give you that option.....like the night shades, on one side it’s all or nothing
garykk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:07 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. I'm about ready to buy one. The only nagging question that I have and it's probably silly but in a 25' coach is being able to use an iPhone or laptop that much more convenient in a small space? Hopefully I am missing something.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm about ready to buy one. The only nagging question that I have and it's probably silly but in a 25' coach is being able to use an iPhone or laptop that much more convenient in a small space? Hopefully I am missing something.
If you are in bed? Yes. If you are outside under the awning? Yes. If you are sitting in the dining chair behind the table? Yes. At home and want to check your tank levels or make sure the lights are off? Yes. In the bathroom and want to check tank levels? Yes.

I have a Wayfarer and love mine.

Best,
-Mark
Old 02-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #7

Well my decision was made for me. Mike at CP emailed saying he was sorry but the last one was sold this morning.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:33 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajohn2019 View Post
Hi man . It depends for what propose you usually use proxy. Definitely you can save some money and use free proxy and VPN services. I use proxy just to unblock Youtube videos and another sites .It make me really confused when some sites have been banned my local IP and they become unavailable for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigurdAlj View Post
Why not VPN?
CoachProxy has nothing to do with VPNs or Proxy servers. It's a control module designed to plug into the Spyder multiplex system on Tiffin coaches allowing external browser based control of lights, climate, etc.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:36 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Well my decision was made for me. Mike at CP emailed saying he was sorry but the last one was sold this morning.
Hi, if you are still interested in the coach proxy and aren't put off by a little hardware/software work, let me know. Mike Fischer has posted some of his coach proxy code in an open source format. I was able to take that and adapt it to some off the shelf hardware.

I have an Entegra Aspire with a Firefly G6 panel and I'm now controlling all my lights, the aquahot and locks. It even works with Alexa but that requires an internet connection. In any case my current test unit has the ability to create it's own wifi so internet is not required, you just wouldn't be able to use voice commands and would be limited to smart phone or tablet control.

Fair warning this is not plug and play at the moment and you will need to do some work but it's free except for the hardware and you might consider it to be a fun project. Hardware involves a Raspberry Pi with a CAN board (about $150) plus some cable and a connector.

Email me if you're interested.

Rob
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #10

Hi Rob,
Thanks for the thought I appreciate it. I don't think a job like this is in my skill set. I can plug and play and that's about all.

Again, thanks.

Dennis
Old 08-06-2019, 08:03 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Hi Rob,
Thanks for the thought I appreciate it. I don't think a job like this is in my skill set. I can plug and play and that's about all.

Again, thanks.

Dennis
OK Dennis, but check back with me occasionally, there's a group of us playing with this now, so I think eventually something more plug and play will emerge.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:21 PM   #12

Excellent! Thanks again.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:09 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
OK Dennis, but check back with me occasionally, there's a group of us playing with this now, so I think eventually something more plug and play will emerge.
Thanks for trying to keep this tech alive. It is a great system. Wish you the best in your efforts with it.

Best,
-Mark
Old 09-20-2019, 06:02 AM   #14

Coach Proxy Open Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Rob, Where can one find the open source code base for CoachProxy. Would love to know a little more about it. Know how to code not so much hardware.
Jimjensen3 is offline   Reply With Quote