Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #1

Not completely happy with Allegro and Tiffin

Just picked up a 2012 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA after reading a lot of positive reviews on their products.
Overall this is a very nice coach, but I'm very disappointed with Tiffin's customer service and also some of the choices made in the general usability given some of the things we were used to from our 1999 Itasca Suncruiser.
1.- The plastic molding around the bottom of the windshield is warped and cracked in many places. It was clearly torqued down way too much. Replacement cost is $400 for a part that should cost $40 and Tiffin is not willing to give any discount, nor are any supervisors returning email of phone calls. That is highway robbery.
2.- What's the deal with the switch locations? Water pump and light in the kitchen are right where one leans against to get things out of cabinet. Bathroom light switch is too far from the door and again right next to the water pump switch.
3.- No light to show if water pump is on or off. Same for water heater.
4.- Only interior generator switch is on the left of the driver. Suncruiser had this on the right of the driver and another in the kitchen. Much easier to get to.
5.- The bedroom is way too dark (but I knew this before purchase). Why not a window on the back wall?
6.- The coach sleeps 7, but seats 4 skinny people at the dinette.
7.- I miss the powerline monitor that allowed me to run on 30A and monitor my current draw. Might have to add that sometime.

Improvements so far:
1.- Hight adjustable shower head
2.- Curtains for the bunks
3.- Switch to disengage side cameras when turn signals are activated. Need rear camera to see size of hole when changing lanes, especially when towing.
4.- Added tire pressure monitors
5.- Added vent covers
6.- Replaced entry door gas shock with longer one so door will open past 90 degrees but not hit awning.
7.- Added drink holders by driver and passenger outboard wall
8.- Added pressure tank to water system
f18sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2016, 01:52 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't mean this to be sarcastic, but why did you buy this MH if all these things are not what you like or want? I am assuming you did not buy this sight unseen..
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:15 PM   #3

Simple answer, if you don't like it get something else. No perfect RV's. Dave
Old 05-02-2016, 03:53 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
If you search you will find a couple of threads about adding pump on lights.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:46 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Sounds like switch type and locations are poorly thought out.

Our '07 Open Road had the dash cover/pad replaced twice for something similar to what you describe. The second replacement was clearly made of a different type of plastic and we had no further problems.

RV dining tables that will seat more than 4 are rare, thus the ole "cocktails for 6, dinner for 4..." I've seen one, somewhere, that the table had an extension that might allow you to seat 6 very friendly people around it. Don't recall what or where.

I like a bedroom window for ventilation, but don't understand why people are so excited about windows for light in a bedroom. When I'm using the bedroom I want it dark, regardless of the time of day I'm using it.

There were no truer words than, "there's no perfect coach".
2020 Jeep Wrangler toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
I don't mean this to be sarcastic, but why did you buy this MH if all these things are not what you like or want? I am assuming you did not buy this sight unseen..
Of course I'm nit-picking and overall this is a very nice coach. Some of the stuff you don't notice until you use it. I just don't get the choices made since they would be quite simple to do right the first time with a bit of benchmarking and customer input. Nothing I can't fix going forward.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:50 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Why don't you visit a dealer and see how a new coach is equipped? Your coach is 4 model years removed from the current offering and many things have changed in that product line over the past 4 years.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Why don't you visit a dealer and see how a new coach is equipped? Your coach is 4 model years removed from the current offering and many things have changed in that product line over the past 4 years.
Already have. Much of the electrical system is run via a central bus with remote switch panels on the new coaches. To retrofit this would be very difficult since wiring is is quite inaccessible.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:33 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Sounds as though you have a nice coach that can help you enjoy life.

My advice .... take a big swig of some koolaid and relax. Plan and take some trips. Get used to your new toy and enjoy life.

You're going to have fun!
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:04 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by f18sailor View Post
Already have. Much of the electrical system is run via a central bus with remote switch panels on the new coaches. To retrofit this would be very difficult since wiring is is quite inaccessible.
I didn't suggest you would want to retrofit. My point was you are complaining about something that was designed years ago and built 4 model years previously and most of your complaints were addressed and corrected with the latest designs.

You looked at what you have, you bought it, and it's time to enjoy it. Now you will know what to look for when you buy your next coach.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
I didn't suggest you would want to retrofit. My point was you are complaining about something that was designed years ago and built 4 model years previously and most of your complaints were addressed and corrected with the latest designs.

You looked at what you have, you bought it, and it's time to enjoy it. Now you will know what to look for when you buy your next coach.
Of course we will enjoy it until we retire in 10+ years. Until then I will improve all the minor annoyances. Maybe some owners have had the same issues and found good ways to improve. Now the $400 for a basic plastic moulding is just exceptionally poor customer service.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by f18sailor View Post
Of course we will enjoy it until we retire in 10+ years. Until then I will improve all the minor annoyances. Maybe some owners have had the same issues and found good ways to improve. Now the $400 for a basic plastic moulding is just exceptionally poor customer service.
That's the part I don't get, is why you think that they should replace a piece of trim that is 4 years old, and you are not the even original purchaser. All the things you complain about, you knew when you bought it, or should have. To complain that you are unhappy with the design or condition of your MH after the fact, is no fault of Tiffin, and not really a fair comment. They make a great MH and we very much considered buying the same model when we bought ours.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:02 PM   #13
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
That's the part I don't get, is why you think that they should replace a piece of trim that is 4 years old, and you are not the even original purchaser.
I don't think he is trying to get the part replaced for FREE. He just thinks that $400 for a piece of trim is very expensive. He mentioned $40 as an alternative price. Unfortunately, supply-and-demand is probably dictating the price. Also, the "cost" of a replacement part is a lot more than just the materials. All of the handling, shipping, and warehousing for a 4-year old part adds up.

What about the possibility of a RV salvage yard to find a replacement piece of trim? It is probably a long shot though.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 02:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
I don't think he is trying to get the part replaced for FREE. He just thinks that $400 for a piece of trim is very expensive. He mentioned $40 as an alternative price. Unfortunately, supply-and-demand is probably dictating the price. Also, the "cost" of a replacement part is a lot more than just the materials. All of the handling, shipping, and warehousing for a 4-year old part adds up.

What about the possibility of a RV salvage yard to find a replacement piece of trim? It is probably a long shot though.
That still isn't Tiffin Customer Service's problem or responsibility, or a reason to not be happy with Tiffin. If he wanted a MH with all the benefits of a new one then he should have bought a new one, then he would have a legitimate issue with Tiffin. It's threads like this that make others doubt a manufacturer when there is absolutely no merit to the complaint. Just my opinion.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tiffin