Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2020, 05:54 AM   #1

Occasional low temps 20-30 overnight?

We are looking to relocate to SC or North FL with a 21 40IP... What precautions should we take to reduce the risk to the coach, basement and wet bay safe from freezing in their occasional "freezing" temperatures. Would Portable heaters, or "shop lights" work? Covered or in-side storage... I assume that it depends on the temperature and length of time below 32 deg. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...
JimLuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 06:51 AM   #2

Are you going to be living in it during the freezing times?

If you are going to be storing it, to be absolutely safe, I would simply winterize it and not worry any longer. Problem with providing supplemental heat to keep the wetbay above freezing, like a light bulb or heater, is if the electricity was to go off. Heated storage would have the same concerns.

Living in it makes the question easier to answer. Carefully heat the wet bay with a incandescent type light bulb and monitor the bay temperatures using a indoor/outdoor remote thermometer. If you do lose power, you can always start the generator.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 07:50 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
You mentioned inside storage so if you are storing it you can use the coach heat for occasional freezing temps. I haven't winterized mine since new and we get the occasional 20 degree and even down into the teens nights. I set the furnaces at 45 degrees and add a small cube 200 watt heater to the wet bay. That's protected it even down to 15 degrees for a couple of nights with no problem. I have a multi sensor thermometer that I can monitor while away and the temps have stayed well above freezing.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:13 PM   #4

Same here as Lt Dan except I use a brooder light in the wet bay if needed.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:11 PM   #5

inside storage

we have been in 20's this week...
camper stays in an enclosed metal building...

bought a 45? dollar electric heater and put it near the wet bay set on 40 degrees. if temp drops to 40 it is supposed to come on...

bought a $13 dollar thermometer and humidity checker at walmart.. it tracks temperature for the last 12 hours showing high and low... for that time period...
outside got to 27-28 2 nights this week... temp in building only got to 50 -52.

builder put his white insulation next to metal siding.... i came back and added framing and fiberglass insulation to walls... roll up door has a thin ? reflectix type insulation on it...

no concerns.
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:19 PM   #6

How do you monitor the thermometer when you are away?
Grsfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:32 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I use a little product called temp stick to monitor my temperature when away from the Coach.

It measures every few minutes and runs on WiFi.

You can set low and high alerts.

It does require WiFi to use. I run it off a jet pack.

It does not use much data.

Temp Stick is handy when you are using your RV and away for the day as well. Especially if you have a pet in the RV.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 03:34 AM   #8

we don't monitor thermometer when we are away...

however...
1. this barn and a couple of other structures are on their own meter... just contracted to have a small solar system installed with battery that would cover all needs including some refrigerators and freezers. (rest of that story is that installer is having listening and honesty issues show up before he started so i'm finding someone else and asking for my $$ deposit back!)

2. we have a security system and cameras at the house... but not on the barn.
adding the above solar system would have given me the added security of constant electricity and made adding a small camera system more secure..

-----------
hmm. i'm not technically up to date... getting a little behind times... i need more info on the "jet packs" or someway to have reasonable cost internet for the barn? maybe the next time the kids come home!
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:31 PM   #9

As a Newbe... I hope this gets to this post... THANK YOU TO EVERYONE regarding low temp protection ideas... My major take away is to do everything that makes sense when its warm. Like adding wifi temp sensors throughout the storage areas, insulating exposed pipes, store a spare water pump, adding local heat generators where needed, setting a reasonable low temp on the rig heating system. If I forgot anything feel free to add.
JimLuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:00 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsfed View Post
How do you monitor the thermometer when you are away?

I use the LaCrosse system. It works well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	App Screen.PNG
Views:	23
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	310271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sensor and Probe.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	328.9 KB
ID:	310272  

Larry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 12:03 AM   #11

I don’t know who makes the 40IP but in my rig this not an issue since the bays are heated. I do keep a remote temp sensor in the water bays to monitor the temps from Walmart but have never had an issue. Got to love Newmars.