Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2017, 06:02 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Thumbs down On Demand Water Heater

I am considering a on demand water heater for our 2000 Allegro Bus 35 R. I would like to hear some pro and con about the generic topic as well as specific models. Thanks Richard
Rkesselus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2017, 08:01 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Surprised you want to go this route - on demand heaters are 3X as expensive as a tank heater and each seems to have problems in the RV environment. A good old Suburban 10 gal DSI heater can heat a lot of water.

If you really want a demand system, look at the Truma brand water heaters. They have been designed for RV use and will fit in the same space as a regular RV water heater.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 12:48 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Surprised you want to go this route - on demand heaters are 3X as expensive as a tank heater and each seems to have problems in the RV environment. A good old Suburban 10 gal DSI heater can heat a lot of water.

If you really want a demand system, look at the Truma brand water heaters. They have been designed for RV use and will fit in the same space as a regular RV water heater.
Thanks Just thinking ahead. The unit is going on 17 years old. I have looked at some advertisements for different models and want to have an educated opinion of what to do when the time comes.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:00 PM   #4

I had considered an on demand to replace my 10 gal Suburban but when I started adding up numbers, age of my coach, how long I plan to keep it, I decided to go with a new 12gal Suburban instead. The ID dimensions from 6 to 12 gallon are identical. Only the depth changes so to go from 10 to 12 was simple. (2" longer).
If I were going to go on demand, I think it would likely be a Truma. All the reviews I've read on this one are good.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
I am considering a on demand water heater for our 2000 Allegro Bus 35 R. I would like to hear some pro and con about the generic topic as well as specific models. Thanks Richard
If you use only LP gas to heat water, then it is worth looking into an on demand water heater. They have both benefits and liabilities. However, if you camp a lot and use an electric heating element in your water heater to reduce propane consumption, stick with a tank style gas/electric heater. Even if you find an RV on demand heater with an electric element, you would use every bit of your 50 amps to get a trickle of hot water flowing. Residential units can easily take 100 amps just to get a 4 gallon per minute flow.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
gorwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 11:15 PM   #6

We have a Precision Temp 500 in our 2012 Phaeton. Other than replacing two thermistors after purchasing it used in 2013, we have not had any problems with it.

The pros are endless hot water. We can use the clothes washer, dishwasher and take a shower at the same time and never run out of hot water.

The cons, can't think of any.

There is a newer Precision Temp 550 that seems to perform even better.
CrossCountryNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:14 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I replaced the tank unit with an RV500 in our last coach several years ago. It worked flawless for the 7 years we had that coach, saved us on propane also. Be careful, everyone seems to be producing these now and you get what you pay for, it wasn't made by Precision Temp I personally wouldn't purchase it. I have read the forums on the others, no thanks!
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:51 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleamo1 View Post
I replaced the tank unit with an RV500 in our last coach several years ago. It worked flawless for the 7 years we had that coach, saved us on propane also. Be careful, everyone seems to be producing these now and you get what you pay for, it wasn't made by Precision Temp I personally wouldn't purchase it. I have read the forums on the others, no thanks!
I have looked at the good reports on the Precision units but have also seen some good reports on Girard units any comments vs the two?
Old 03-14-2017, 03:12 PM   #9
Commercial Member

we have the girard tankless water heater in our coach. we've use it in outside temps of 115 degrees, to 10 below degrees. ive never had a problem with this heater. with the thermostat set in degrees, you just set it at whatever temp you want, turn the faucet all the way to hot and let it go. you dont use the cold side at all.
if you are on city water, theres never had a problem. if you are boondooking, your pump needs to provide at least 40 lbs pressure constantly for it to work correctly.
i put a flojet variable speed pump in to handle the pressure.
ive never had it freeze up in the coldest weather. it has a built in protection for that.
im well satisfied with it.
the cons are the cost of the heater. and the learning curve. beyond that, im a happy camper.
i do not work for girard. i work for hwh corp, and we live in our coach about 6 months of the year. and travel in all parts of the country regardless of cold weather.
azpete is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater