Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2023, 02:05 PM   #1

OnTheGo Water Softener - mount in AB wet bay?

About to take delivery of a new to us Allegro Bus 35CP. I'd like to use the On The Go water softener system and would prefer to not have it displayed outside the coach for security reasons. I don't have the coach yet so I'm not sure if I will have the clearance to mount this scuba tank looking thing.

I can go with the small version that is 6.75" diameter and 22" tall, or the double size is 9.5" diameter and also 22" tall. If the depth between the water bay wall and the basement door will allow it, I could leave it unmounted and set it out on the ground when I need to operate the dump valves.

Anybody try this? Pictures would be great. Thanks.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2023, 02:14 PM   #2

Tronadora-

First off, welcome to iRV2!

Second, you should add a "signature" to your profile. It contains whatever info you want; most people put info about their coach there, so they don't have to type it into each message. Instructions for adding a signature are here.

Re: Moving the water softener to operate the dump valves. I wouldn't plan on that. An empty softener tank is heavy enough, and a full one... no way I could lift my OnTheGo double out of the bay with the water in it.

If you don't have room in the wet bay for a permanent mount, perhaps in an adjacent compartment. This is what "Dutch Start Don" has done (link with picture here).

My post (link here) immediately follows Don's on that thread. I carried the softener in the toad when not in use and put it outside, under the bumper of the coach, when in use. I didn't have any "security" concerns about having the softener outside the coach.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:20 PM   #3

I mounted mine in the bay in front of the wet bay. I’ll post pictures tomorrow.
Old 03-17-2023, 07:16 AM   #4

I have a 2022 35CP and there is no room in the wet bay for a softener.
bsedor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 07:27 AM   #5

I didn’t bother mounting mine and just set it on the ground with no security issues. I use Blue Technology and their softener has a nice handle on the top which makes carrying it convenient.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	87573854-4603-4D03-BD02-502B87178A1F.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	388344  
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 07:51 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I don't see how you could permanent-mount it, as you need to recharge it frequently and occsionally need to empty it by turning it upside down. All this involves a lot of water flowing all over the place. How could you do all this if it were permanently mounted in your basement?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 08:22 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
1. Go with the smaller unit, the larger is quite heavy. 2. No room to permanently mount in the wet bay, I install ours near the pedestal (short hose) and have never had a problem. The unit travels in the wet bay. 3. If you plan to camp in the winter months, even in AZ & NM, buy a heated hose or heat tape & pipe insulation. 4. Buy a pressure regulator with integral gauge. 5. Buy quick disconnects for inlet & outlet connections.
PLColman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 06:54 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Tarzan Send a message via AIM to Tarzan Send a message via Yahoo to Tarzan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
About to take delivery of a new to us Allegro Bus 35CP. I'd like to use the On The Go water softener system and would prefer to not have it displayed outside the coach for security reasons. I don't have the coach yet so I'm not sure if I will have the clearance to mount this scuba tank looking thing.

I can go with the small version that is 6.75" diameter and 22" tall, or the double size is 9.5" diameter and also 22" tall. If the depth between the water bay wall and the basement door will allow it, I could leave it unmounted and set it out on the ground when I need to operate the dump valves.

Anybody try this? Pictures would be great. Thanks.
If you are on Face Book, check out the "Tiffin Motorhomes Technical Forum." Do a search for what you are wanting to know and 90% of the time you will get your answer, it is an awesome resource, and I know that there are several posts about folks doing this.
Tarzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 02:28 PM   #9

Thanks to all for the input.

I did go ahead and order the double size OnTheGo and will let you know how it goes. I'm also adding the DI tank of same size and plan to store them both in the smallest PS bay. Might end up using one of those folding hand carts to assist w/ getting them around to the other side of the coach.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 02:44 PM   #10

I said that I would post a picture or two of my install. I ran pex tubing over through the partition wall to the bay in front of the wet bay. I installed some valves to isolate and bypass the softener if need be. I also have a valve to flush the unit as per the recharge instructions. I don’t have to remove it to recharge. All I have to do is remove the cap and add the salt. I used some e track and anchors along with a ratchet strap to fasten the softener and my propane tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	718F5B75-80B5-4D07-8755-A139AB2037C8.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	388671   Click image for larger version

Name:	A6ADA507-3107-41C5-9CF1-7884F33E5349.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	286.0 KB
ID:	388672  

Old 03-22-2023, 02:48 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Nicely done! Could you provide us with a diagram of your connections?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 09:00 PM   #12

I will put a diagram together on paper for you. I just recharged it today. It was very simple. I turned off the water, relieved the pressure, removed the cap and added the salt. Then turned the valves the slowly flush the system for 25-30 minuets. Then did the fast rinse for 5 minutes. opened the valves closed the drain valve and did a strip test of the water OK.
Old 03-22-2023, 09:05 PM   #13

You have to dump a lot of water to add salt. You’re going to need a pump or a hose to suck on
Old 03-23-2023, 03:14 PM   #14

I just installed an on the go double in my 22’ Tiffin Phaeton 40 IH. The single would have fit in the wet bay after removing the electric hose reel. I chose to keep the hose reel and go with the double. I like you did not want it outside on the ground. I mounted it on the passenger side one bay behind the wet bay and ran the plumbing above the tanks behind the wet bay. I built a manifold with a normal, bypass, regen and backwash function so as not to have to remove the unit, just change the valve settings. I was going to post pictures but the requirements of this site, after jumping through all their hoops just to post this prohibits me from doing so.
The Hoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water