Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2021, 05:47 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Open Road Owners Question

Iím considering purchasing either a 2019 or 2020 34pa. My question is: With the residential refrigerator, are there four house batteries? I canít imagine trying to manage with only two batteries! We do a lot dry camping.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2021, 05:49 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 2020 36LA. I think they went hand in hand. Order the fridge and you have to get the 2000W inverter and 4 batteries.
Old 08-23-2021, 05:55 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Just to be clear, 4 6 volt batteries. Two sets of two wired in series to give you 2 “12 volt” batteries which are then wired in parallel to double the capacity.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 07:24 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Thanks guys, I donít want to have to add batteries.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:17 PM   #5

It should have four batteries in the PS rear compartment. Monitor the water level in the batteries to maintain optimum performance. We have two solar panels, 200W, which has kept the batteries charged exceptionally well when not on shore power.
Dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 12:13 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you do a lot of dry camping moving to lithium batteries is something to consider.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 07:15 AM   #7

A 2019 or 2020 will have 4 6 volt golf cart style batteries in the passenger side rear storage compartment. They provide about 400 amp-hours of raw capacity. Thatís about 200 usable before you begin to discharge below 50%. I have a 2021 34PA with the same setup. The batteries are typically at 12.3v in the morning after 12 hours of powering the rig. The 2021 has an LG refrigerator that may be more, or less, efficient than the Whirlpool found in Ď19 and Ď20 models.
Shadow5501 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 11:43 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
2020 34 pa

I have a 2020 Tiffin 34PA. It has 4 of the 6-volt batteries, a residential refrigerator, and 200 watts of solar panels.

My previous coach with 2 6-volt batteries, no solar, and a residential refrigerator would struggle just going overnight without being plugged in.

The new Tiffin is much better. When boondocking, we run the generator for a couple of hours in the morning and evening and have no trouble in between.

Tony
A4r4s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 07:35 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by A4r4s4 View Post
I have a 2020 Tiffin 34PA. It has 4 of the 6-volt batteries, a residential refrigerator, and 200 watts of solar panels.

My previous coach with 2 6-volt batteries, no solar, and a residential refrigerator would struggle just going overnight without being plugged in.

The new Tiffin is much better. When boondocking, we run the generator for a couple of hours in the morning and evening and have no trouble in between.

Tony

I have a 2021 34PA with 200 watts of solar ,4 6-volt batteries, 5500 gen and 1200 watt inverter

Before going to bed the average voltage is 12.7-12.8, in the morning I too average 12.2 to 12.3 after a night of dry camping until i turn on the heater in the morning and the voltage drops to 11.9-12.1.
At 8:00 in the morning the AGS starts the gen and it runs for 2.5 hours and that all.
The temp outside was in the low 30 so I dont believe the refrig even turned on so what took the voltage from 12.7 down to 12.2?
The only thing on was the Spider Panel lights.
TIFFIN34PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 08:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIFFIN34PA View Post
I have a 2021 34PA with 200 watts of solar ,4 6-volt batteries, 5500 gen and 1200 watt inverter

Before going to bed the average voltage is 12.7-12.8, in the morning I too average 12.2 to 12.3 after a night of dry camping until i turn on the heater in the morning and the voltage drops to 11.9-12.1.
At 8:00 in the morning the AGS starts the gen and it runs for 2.5 hours and that all.
The temp outside was in the low 30 so I dont believe the refrig even turned on so what took the voltage from 12.7 down to 12.2?
The only thing on was the Spider Panel lights.
I have a 2021 34PA and see roughly the same battery voltage after a night of dry camping. I have the optional inverter, but with nothing much plugged into the extra live outlets the difference in power draw will be minimal.

So a couple of thoughts. I expect your fridge did run overbite, probably quite a bit. If it was warmer than 38F in the coach, then the refrigerator needed cooling. Same for the freezer if it was warmer than 0F in the coach. Is your ice maker on and making ice? That runs room temperature water into the freezer, warming it up.

All the TVs and entertainment equipment is powered up and consuming electricity all night. Less than when it’s switched on, but not zero either.

In addition you have the ongoing 12 volt draws - the CO/propane alarm, all the USB sockets, the TV antenna amplifier etc.

Second, it’s quite normal for the voltage to drop when you fire up the furnace due to a phenomenon known as voltage sag. When you draw power out of a battery the voltage drops. The more power you draw, the more the voltage drops. You’ve intuitively seen this - think how a cars headlights dim when you turn the key to crank the starter. The furnace blower draws quite a bit of electricity - all fans do because it takes a lot of energy to move air around. So what you’re seeing when the battery drops to 11.9 is voltage sag from the blower motor. You need to look at the resting voltage of the battery to get an idea of the state of charge.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:20 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5501 View Post
I have a 2021 34PA and see roughly the same battery voltage after a night of dry camping. I have the optional inverter, but with nothing much plugged into the extra live outlets the difference in power draw will be minimal.

So a couple of thoughts. I expect your fridge did run overbite, probably quite a bit. If it was warmer than 38F in the coach, then the refrigerator needed cooling. Same for the freezer if it was warmer than 0F in the coach. Is your ice maker on and making ice? That runs room temperature water into the freezer, warming it up.

All the TVs and entertainment equipment is powered up and consuming electricity all night. Less than when itís switched on, but not zero either.

In addition you have the ongoing 12 volt draws - the CO/propane alarm, all the USB sockets, the TV antenna amplifier etc.

Second, itís quite normal for the voltage to drop when you fire up the furnace due to a phenomenon known as voltage sag. When you draw power out of a battery the voltage drops. The more power you draw, the more the voltage drops. Youíve intuitively seen this - think how a cars headlights dim when you turn the key to crank the starter. The furnace blower draws quite a bit of electricity - all fans do because it takes a lot of energy to move air around. So what youíre seeing when the battery drops to 11.9 is voltage sag from the blower motor. You need to look at the resting voltage of the battery to get an idea of the state of charge.

Actually our first night the temp inside @ 7:00am was in the 20's and each morning after low 30's. Freezer may have cycled, ice maker was turned off.
Problem is if I needed to run the heater during the night I am pretty sure the batteries would have been close to dead in the morning. My 2006 Georgetown XL did not have a res frig and in the same conditions the heater would cycle on and off through the night without running the 2 batteries dead.
I thought that the new MH with 4 batteries and a res frig on a inverter would be close to the same.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIFFIN34PA View Post
Actually our first night the temp inside @ 7:00am was in the 20's and each morning after low 30's. Freezer may have cycled, ice maker was turned off.
Problem is if I needed to run the heater during the night I am pretty sure the batteries would have been close to dead in the morning. My 2006 Georgetown XL did not have a res frig and in the same conditions the heater would cycle on and off through the night without running the 2 batteries dead.
I thought that the new MH with 4 batteries and a res frig on a inverter would be close to the same.
Dang, your blood is thicker than mine. Why donít you go ahead and try running the heater at night and see what happens?
Old 10-13-2021, 10:12 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5501 View Post
Dang, your blood is thicker than mine. Why donít you go ahead and try running the heater at night and see what happens?

When plugged in we do run the heater, my next dry camp will be Thanksgiving and I will try the Heater then.
Old 10-13-2021, 01:02 PM   #14

The 2019, 32SA we had came with 4, 6V batteries and a 2000W pure sine wave inverter. Even with that, we still had to run the generator several times a day to keep the house batteries charged when boondocking
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote