Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2019, 10:05 PM   #1

Ordering new 2020 Allegro 36LA looking for advice on options

I am pricing out a 2020 Allegro and have questions about what some of the following options are and if others are worthwhile.

1) in motion satellite $1450.00. Is it worth it and what does it do?
2) pre-wire for traveler satellite $254.00. Is it worth it and what does it do? Will I ever use it?
3) WiFi ranger $1015.00. Seems expensive is it worth it or are there better options?
4) CB antenna $181.00. Am I missing something? Is there a reason to have a CB?
5) Solar prep and 1-solar panel $254.00 & $870.00 Is this worth it?

Most coaches on the lots have many of these but are any worth the money?

Is there a good basic antenna on the coach for over the air channels?

At our home we have DISH so I should ask if how can we take DISH on the road cost effectively? What do I need for equipment?

I am hoping for help and advice from your years of experience. Thanks
IowaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2019, 05:21 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
We just traded in our 2016 36LA for a Phaeton. Our 36LA was loaded, so I will let you know what we liked.

1) We rarely used the in-motion satellite. It contains a small, very weak dish. We were pre-wired for the Traveler and had one installed for $1,800. The traveler is bigger, more powerful. It has 3 LNB's and gets great Hi-Def.
2) WiFi Ranger - We love it. All of our devices and the smart tv's are all tuned to the transmitter. It is quick and easy to use a phone or tablet to find a local wifi source and set the wifi ranger to rebroadcast that signal.
3) CB pre-wire. I have had this on both coaches and so far have yet to connect a CB. I talked to Nick Brewer (Tiffin electronic's) about the CB. He said they do not preform to well because the fiberglass RV body's do not have a good grounding plane. It is a fairly cheap add on, so I would still go for it.
4) Solar Prep: Worth it. I installed my own panels and a controller for under $400. For me it was worth it since I leave my RV in a lot, not plugged in, when not in use. The Solar keeps my batteries topped off.

Other must have options.
1) Progressive Surge Protector.
2) Tire Minder - Tire pressure sensors.
3) Memory Foam mattress: The standard mattress was not very comfortable to us.
Brianb131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:50 AM   #3

I am also considering this model along with the Newmar Canyon Star 3710. Will b following this thread .
F350ms38rssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:59 PM   #4

Definitely get the prewire for the Traveler satellite dish. In the 36LA, the mid tv is so large and so close, it needs HD to be clear. HD is available on the smaller sats with DISH but with Direct TV you need the Traveler.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:01 PM   #5

I have dish at home and when we leave on a trip, I put the receiver in the coach connected to the traveler dish. Works great.

Ask for the upgraded solar prewire and install your own panels and charger.

Most people have switched from CB to FRS.

Lloyd and Jann
Winger22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:11 PM   #6

My 2 cents:

I bought mine off the lot two days after it arrived....already heavily optioned.

I like the pull down bed over the cab area. Not for sleep, I use it as a staging area for load in/load out.

I don’t use the L-shaped sofa but my wife uses it as a lounge and loves it. Fits her perfectly.

I use it a week or 4-day weekend at a time so I don’t need the washer/dryer. Mine has the space for a combo washer/dryer. That gives us twice the counter space in the rear bath and more cabinet storage since we didnt install the combo unit. A big plus. Consider that if you don’t want the w/d. The stacked w/d takes a full height cabinet space and you loose the countertop space.

I yield to others on the different types of satellite dish setups but, mine has in-motion and I added the Dish Network Wally on the pay as you go plan. I dont have Dish at home. I mainly use the dish at state parks or other areas that don’t have cable. If you already have Dish network at home, you can add the Wally for about ten bucks a month plus plus to your account. I also use Blueray and streaming so the surround sound system is nice. Not the best programming but I’m surprised at the number of channels I sometimes get with the HD antenna.

I think all 36LA’s are wired for w/d so it has the 7kW generator. If that’s not the case, get the 7kW if its an option. Bigger is always better.

Mine didn’t come with any suspension upgrades. I drove about 400 miles, recognized some of the chassis symptoms and took it back to the selling dealer and for $4,200 added Sumo Springs on all four corners, rear track bar, and Safety Steer. No piece mill, all at once, and very pleased with the results. Liquid springs looks like next level stuff but not sure it’s worth it....that’s up to you.

Regarding the Chassis, 30,000 lbs is the max combined gross RV and toad weight. If you go with 26k you cut into the 30,000 leaving you with 4,000 toad weight. Mine is the standard 24k and I tow a Jeep Wrangler. I don’t full time, I weigh on Cat scales so I’m not overloaded on the RV or the toad. There may actually be a 500 lb buffer there since with 26k I think you are actually getting an upgrade of 1500 lbs on the rear leaf springs only.

I agree with the comment above regarding the Progressive Industries 50amp surge protector.

Mine has the fireplace and one 15MBTUH heat pump. I haven’t turned the furnace on yet with that combo.

Hope this helps.....good luck!

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:14 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally, I'd forego every option you mentioned BUT- there is one that is available this year and that is the Liquid Spring suspension upgrade. It's more $ than all the options you listed put together but if you're going to be driving a lot- no other upgrade would be more important. The option has to be ordered with the coach order but could be added later too.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:44 PM   #8

Although I am ordering a RED, the only option the OP listed I am ordering is the prewire for the Traveler. I also spec'ed out a 36LA before opting for the RED, with the liquid springs, and the MSRP came around $198k. Read multiple articles on the liquid spring, including one where they retrofitted a 35' 2008 Winnie Adventurer and the reviews were very good.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:25 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner View Post
Although I am ordering a RED, the only option the OP listed I am ordering is the prewire for the Traveler. I also spec'ed out a 36LA before opting for the RED, with the liquid springs, and the MSRP came around $198k. Read multiple articles on the liquid spring, including one where they retrofitted a 35' 2008 Winnie Adventurer and the reviews were very good.

I would also look hard at the Liquid Springs option. That eliminates the Sumo springs, track bar at the rear axles. All reviews I have read so far they are supposed to be great but not a cheap upgrade. Dont forget Ford is supposed to be coming out with their new gas engine in 2020. Don't know when it will hit the RV market.

Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 07:56 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Will add my 2 cents

1) in motion satellite $1450.00. Is it worth it and what does it do?
Had one in our Tiffin and like it so much, we added it to our current RV so the DW can watch TV while we are moving. The are times when we just use the small dish and do not put up the Traveler. If you have both - the wiring should put them on each end of the RV - so if trees block one - the other could still work.

2) pre-wire for traveler satellite $254.00. Is it worth it and what does it do? Will I ever use it?
100% get this - If you want to install a traveler later, it makes the job a DIY

3) WiFi ranger $1015.00. Seems expensive is it worth it or are there better options?
Have one but have only used it once because most CG internet are worthless. We carry two unlimited HotSpots & two standalone router if i need to connect to some other wifi "spent about $150 for both.

4) CB antenna $181.00. Am I missing something? Is there a reason to have a CB?
Have it on both - never connected a CB to it, but the antenna is good for finding low hanging branches.

5) Solar prep and 1-solar panel $254.00 & $870.00 Is this worth it?
Check the wire specs they are using - depending you could have to run new wire anyway if you expand the system. Have 2 panels on the current - It's like a trickle charger when in storage.

Liquid Springs - If this is your first Class A - Somehow get a demo ride with this option. The 36LA is great - but the ride is why I don't have it anymore - I knew 6 mts in that we would be getting a DP just because of the ride & brakes.
mike625 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:14 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
Definitely get the prewire for the Traveler satellite dish. In the 36LA, the mid tv is so large and so close, it needs HD to be clear. HD is available on the smaller sats with DISH but with Direct TV you need the Traveler.
Just to add some info - Direct TV is changing at some point so the smaller disk will pick up HD - when will that happen "no guess at this point" - was to be completed by April 2019
mike625 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:19 PM   #12

If you can take a test ride in a Open Road with the LiquidSpring upgrade, my wife said wow on the first turn, no more rock and roll.
Ragsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:17 AM   #13

The liquid Springs option is pretty pricy at $13.5, from Tiffin. For about half that price, maybe a bit more, you can pretty much do a full suspension upgrade that will be close to the Liquid Springs option. The ride and control is vastly improved. Our unit came pretty well upgraded"

Drop down bunk - don't use, see no time that we would use it as it is just the two of us

Sumo Springs - nice upgrade, but doesn't solve suspension roll, sway, bounce issues (we have the F53 24K chassis) We added quad Koni FSD Shocks, replaced front anti sway bar, added rear trac bar, and two additional rear forward facing anti sway bars and Say-T-Plus steering stabilizer - problem solved)

Upgraded counter is very nice

Central vacuum, we use all the time

The L shaped sofa is very nice and comfortable

Memory foam King bed is quite comfortable

Domestic's frig with 200 watt Pure sine inverter with 4 batteries

Overhead fan in bedroom keeps air circulating quite well

Hope this helps you in deciding,
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, allegro