Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2021, 12:20 PM   #1

OTA antenna conversion

I have a 2014 Allegro 36LA originally furnished with a Mini-State HD 360 OTA antenna which no longer is operational
I bit the bullet and purchased the latest Triple Vision Omni Directional antenna from Tiffin and made an adaptor plate for the mounting conversion to the original mounts
I did not want to drill new holes in the roof for a new mount
I wanted to go with a Winegard but their latest antenna requires 12 vdc at the antenna and I did not trust the small wires used on the HD 360 to power the Winegard
Purchased a 1/4 in x 6 in x 6 in aluminum plate from McMaster Car
you have to remove the HD 360 control box but it's a minor issue
Here are the photos and I can provide more info if others want to make the conversion
new antenna bringing in 28 channels and I have a garage blocking many signals
so far so good
this way wife can watch OTA antennas in rear bedroom and I can watch DISH satellite channels in living area TV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ant 1.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	349116   Click image for larger version

Name:	ant 3.jpeg
Views:	13
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	349117  

Name:	ant 5.jpeg
Views:	17
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	349118  
cobia6620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2021, 09:12 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I have the same brackets on my 2011 Bus and used an aftermarket omin-directional antenna. Was this the Tiffin #5048609?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-11-18 at 10.11.14 AM.png
Views:	18
Size:	800.7 KB
ID:	349212  
DiddyPnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:49 AM   #3

yes that is the one
don't need to use mounting base or wall plate if you have a std winegard amplifier plate in the compartment behind the bedroom tv
cobia6620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:38 PM   #4

OTAAntenna

So…my omnivision antenna seems to also have quit
Looking around, the Triplevision is $583.00
I see listings for other Omni-directional antennas for significantly less $$$$
Why are they so “cheap” vs the Triplevision??
BEACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:01 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
For less than $400 you can get the Rayzar Automatic which will work better than the Omni directional. It will automatically search and find the strongest signal and is powered through the coax so it doesn't require a separate power line.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
For less than $400 you can get the Rayzar Automatic which will work better than the Omni directional. It will automatically search and find the strongest signal and is powered through the coax so it doesn't require a separate power line.

That’s what I went with. I bought the mount, which is pricey, to utilize the mounting brackets that are already on the roof. What I did was remove the old antenna, set the Razar mounting bracket on top of the two brackets from the old antenna and then see how much I needed to cut into the blob of sealer under the rear leg. Once I cut the sealer, which you only skim off a layer so it isn’t removed to the actual roof, I figured out that a small piece of plywood would land the front two legs on the roof (note the legs can be bent a bit). I screwed the plywood to the bottom of the front two legs. Since I was bolting the mounting bracket to the old brackets (requires drilling 8 holes or less), I figured the three legs would provide additional stability simply by applying sealer to them and I didn’t drill into the roof at all since the wire runs under the fiberglass are right in that area. I then covered the legs with the Tiffin silicone to lock them in place.

After the bracket was mounted, I was concerned about the bolt heads breaking the bottom of the antenna, so I bought a piece of polyethylene to use as a full support spacer.

https://www.amazon.com/Density-Polye...strial&sr=1-10

I made a template out of cardboard and then cut the spacer. Once that was on, the rest was easy. I did watch a few guys install the antenna online, but they seemed to just drill into the roof willy nilly and Tiffin warned me about drilling that in that particular area so I did all I could to keep from putting any more holes in the roof.

Name:	P1090262_2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	350991

Name:	P1090293_2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	498.2 KB
ID:	350992

Name:	P1090300_2.jpg