Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
OTA HD Antenna

My over the air antenna controller has gone out and I'm looking to replace the factory version with something newer. Has anyone had the same experience? I'm looking at the Winegard Rayzar Auto - would appreciate comments on this particular unit and suggestions on other options.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2017, 02:07 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Saying an antenna is HD is just advertising hype. All the OTA antennas will receive HD programming, but some are better at it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:25 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the same MH as you do so I am assuming you have the OTA antenna that can rotate to find the strongest signal. Mine went bad also. FYI Tiffin no longer uses that antenna. They now install a omnidirectional OTA antenna on the newer MHs. I had the omnidirectional installed when I was in Red Bay. Cost was $205 and 1 hour labor.
Actually have not been out in the boonies to test the antenna. However other Tiffin owners state they have received TV channels that other MHs with a older antenna cannot so based on their input I bought the new antenna.

Simple process to replace the old antenna. New antenna mounts on the old antenna tripod and just connect it to the coax, cut off the wiring for the rotating antenna and use a coax connector to bypass the old antenna controller.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:17 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
If you're a member of the Tiffin RV Network (TRVN), you might want to do a search of Razar Auto over there. Seems like many users are experiencing "E3" errors after installing Razar Autos, and some are having the same problem with the warranty replacements (I know the antenna is not uniquely Tiffin, but that where I've seen a lot of the complaints). I wanted one in the beginning, but after reading the complaints, I've settled in my heart that I will get the Wingard RS 3000 (Winegard RoadStar RS-3000 RV TV Antenna) when, not if, my HD360 fails.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:04 AM   #5

if you have a bat wing antenna with the wingman component you have the best antenna you can have. Install the new Sensar Pro controller.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:24 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes I have installed the Winegard Razar Auto to replace the ministat. Yes I like it very much. Yes I did get the E3 error. Thanks to reading about it here, on trvn, and others made it a 'no problem' as I found it before hard mount. Winegard stepped right up and took care of it. YES I would do it again.

If this is the way you go, let me know and will try to help with loose ends.

jim
viewfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:41 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Jim - I'm having my dealer install the Rayzar Auto for me. Any "pre-install" tips you could forward to me would be great! Thanks -
Old 04-21-2017, 03:31 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I removed the old one and placed the Razar in the same location on the roof. On the 36LA the Razar has the clearance from ac etc. suggested by Winegard. No need to lift it up on this model. Others may be different. Your new Auto comes with about a 20 foot cable, which I used to test for the E3. I ran it from the roof , thru the bedroom window to the new amp. If good, switch to the installed cable. I have mentioned before that behind the plate is a rats nest of wires. Open it up. The HDMI amps and switches are also in there.

Let us know how you make out

jim
viewfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:45 AM   #9

My coach came with the Rayzar. After 6months it stopped searching and Winegard sent me a new antenna. It works well, but it's like so many rv technologies that are designed for the RV industry as a whole, therefore not top end products. When the motorhome manufacturers produce less than 10,000 units per year compared to over 300,000 towables, it is hard to source good reliable RV products. JMO
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna