Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2021, 05:59 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Outside air entering around the fridge

I have discovered outside air entering my RV through the 1/2" gap between the fridge and the cabinetry surrounding the fridge. Looking into the gap I can see daylight probably from the fridge vent on the sidewall. There should be some kind of insulation / gasket etc to prevent this. Do others have this problem?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2021, 06:08 PM   #2

Is this on an RV fridge or residential ?

An RV fridge; because of the combustion gas related to use on propane , HAS to be sealed to the cabinet to prevent CO from entering the passenger compartment of the RV. Not to mention cold air and dust .
Old 01-24-2021, 09:32 PM   #3

It's probably a residential fridge, which is what mine is in a 2018 Open Road 32SA, and I have the same problem as the OP. My intention is to take the outside vent cover off and install some insulation, but just have not taken the time to do so. I have taken it off to check it out and seems like an easy project to insulate it.
Thanks,
2018 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 32SA
High Road Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:22 PM   #4

I’m guessing a gas/electric fridge as I have never seen a rig with a residential fridge have outside vents unless it was converted from a gas/electric. Recently I had my Norcold 1210 out while doing a JC Refrigeration HVAC conversion on our Norcold. We had ways noticed a lot of cold coming from the fridge cabinet and around the fridge front trim and knew it was coming from the outside vents. When I pulled it out, I was shocked at the lack of insulation....just one strip glued down each side hat didn’t even come close to falling the gap as you can see in he first pic. I also didn’t like the bare plywood base that was already water stained so the first thing I applied 2 coats of sealer to the plywood, then cut a piece of .030 aluminum, screwed in place and then caulked every seam inside the whole cabinet. Then I filled each side and ceiling area with 3” rock wool sound proofing insulation, then covered with 1” foil faced foam insulation board and foil taped all the seams. The fridge slid in with about 1/4” space on the sides and top and then around the flange of the fridge I installed a soft neoprene seal that would provide a good seal around the cabinet instead of the open cell foam pad from the factory. It took some work but now we don’t feel any coldness coming in around the fridge or off the fridge cabinet walls like before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	19BBCE8A-0E5F-47C0-991E-591DD57898AF.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	315678   Click image for larger version

Name:	2767667E-3273-436F-8D8C-F3510F66BFB5.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	315679  

Click image for larger version

Name:	5FDCE11B-7BBB-4236-9820-3C0388C9813B.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	267.4 KB
ID:	315680  
BMGM37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 11:23 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Outside Air leak

Yes it is a residential fridge and yes it has an outside vent, I don't know why. I will be returning to Tiffin service for a few items as I am under warranty and ask why the severe air leak. My MH was built during the early days of the Covid pandemic and I think inexperienced folks may have done the build. At any rate it is a simple thing to stuff some insulation in the gaps and solve the problem. Thanks to all for their input.
Old 01-25-2021, 12:28 AM   #6

Important to check the fridge manual for venting requirements .
Even residential fridges require cooling air flow ; usually up the back the out across the top ; the out side venting on the RV may be in place because the airflow requirements of the fridge cannot be met any other way .

Even so cold air coming under, the fridge into the passenger area, should have been dealt with at the time of installation.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:28 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We have the same issue with our 2021 Allegro Red 340 33AL. The residential fridge has a 1/4" to 3/8" gap all around the fridge to the wood frame. Plus it has 2 large outside vents like used with RV refrigerators, one high and one low. Causes quite a draft on sides and under fridge.
AZCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:14 AM   #8

Very poor craftsmanship. The existing unit was retrofitted with a residential fridge that does not require outside venting, never bothering to add some insulation and cover up the vents. So typical of rv manufacturers. On a side note, when I retro fitted a residential fridge in my 5th wheel, I added Styrofoam to both side panels, which were simply 1/8 thick ply ribbed with 3/4 pine strips, and took out the vents and spray foamed them and covered the back wall with 1 inch of styrofoam still leaving a 1 inch air space around all the fridge. What a difference in comfortable temps and I can’t even hear the new ridge running now. I also noted a huge patch of charring inside where my old never cold used to reside. I’m lucky that thing never caught fire. I even took out the ceiling above the fridge and added spray foam there too before covering it up with 1/8 luan ply.

In my working life, I built custom houses and found the thermal break that spray foam provided a great way to prevent cold but more importantly stops air movement within wall cavities that contributes to warm air hitting cold air that forms condensation and mold. Think of a styrofoam cup 1/8 inch thick with an r value of perhaps .9 that prevents that scalding hot coffee from burning your skin. Now fill that same cup with ice water. Does it sweat at all outside? Not at all. Any other cup material will condensate. I dislike fiberglass insulation that does nothing to prevent air movement. Paul R. Haller
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:17 PM   #9

Same issue here. I used aluminum tape to cover the holes on the inside of the 2 vent covers. Have not had any issues with the refrigerator.

David
Old 01-25-2021, 10:37 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Wow, thanks for the great reply. My fridge is a new factory installed LG. I noticed that behind the RV sidewall access panel is a second panel which is part the LG. Inside there is a fan assembly so I am assuming an outside vent is needed. If the factory will not cover this under warranty work I will insulate using your guidance. Thx again.
Old 01-26-2021, 06:38 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Outside air entering around the fridge

Is it possible the gas fridge vents are just put in all models even if an all electric refrigerator is used ? That seems wasteful but likely. If so then seal them both off . Residential refrigerators normally vent compressor heat from the bottom in and out the front , not the top. While there is some warmth on the sides there is nothing like the gas fire heat that needs to be vented ( is your home fridge in a cabinet vented ? No. )
I sealed my conversion in a Winnie with no adverse effects to the refrigerator and no more drafts.
Old 01-26-2021, 02:25 PM   #12

Why don't you call Tiffin service and ask what's going on?
256 356-8661

They are usually very good about returning calls.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:36 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Does the exterior vent have louvers in it? If so, that's something new. Both our 2015 Allegro RED and our Phaeton had/have a solid plate in that vent opening which are painted to match. They may have done that to allow ventilation for the fridge.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:31 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
All the campers I have had with RV fridges only have one vent on the side wall. Popup are the only exception with 2 vents on the because the wall does not go to the roof

On most camper with propane fridges, except popups there is a roof vent and a bottom vent. The idea is to have the most rise of the warm air and having the vent on the roof allowed the the best exhaust of the burnt propane if the wind was against the wall with the vent/s.

Could the 2 vents be a requirement from the residential fridge manufacture?
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, fridge