Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #1

Outside TV Replacement

We have a 2014 Allegro RED. The outside TV (Panasonic) has a problem where a wide white vertical bar covers about 1/4 of the picture continuously, although the bar moves around a little. My guess is that this is a TV problem, and it probably needs replacement. But who knows, it could be a connection problem too.
  1. Has anyone had this problem? Did you find a solution?
  2. The TV on the outside has a special mount. Tiffin Service says these Panasonics are no longer made and therefore the mount won't work with other TVs. Does anyone have experience replacing this TV?
  3. If so, will any brand of TV work with the Panasonic VEGA Blu-ray controller, or do I need to buy a Panasonic?
  4. Has anyone found a standard mount that is not too deep for the TV compartment with TV attached? There isn't much depth in my compartment.
EVO-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO-Bob View Post
We have a 2014 Allegro RED. The outside TV (Panasonic) has a problem where a wide white vertical bar covers about 1/4 of the picture continuously, although the bar moves around a little. My guess is that this is a TV problem, and it probably needs replacement. But who knows, it could be a connection problem too.
  1. Has anyone had this problem? Did you find a solution?
  2. The TV on the outside has a special mount. Tiffin Service says these Panasonics are no longer made and therefore the mount won't work with other TVs. Does anyone have experience replacing this TV?
  3. If so, will any brand of TV work with the Panasonic VEGA Blu-ray controller, or do I need to buy a Panasonic?
  4. Has anyone found a standard mount that is not too deep for the TV compartment with TV attached? There isn't much depth in my compartment.
I replaced my TV outside with an Insignia. However I have a 2006 and it is in the basement. I took a look at your TV bay and it appears that just about any model would work as long as it will fit in the space. I am sure with a little finesse you can modify the mount with parts from Home Depot or Lowes. The connections should all be the same. And you might find that the bolt pattern on the back is the same as the Panasonic. The first thing is to take out the TV and see what you have, but most mounts are the same so that they fit the wall mounts produced by third parties.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:58 PM   #3

I just measured the depth of the outside TV compartment from the back plate to the front gasket. It's only 2". I can't even find a 32" TV that's only 2" deep, never mind the TV plus mount (which are typically at least 1.4" alone). How does a standard TV fit in there?
Old 01-23-2017, 07:05 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Seems like the last Samsung I bought is less than 2" thick. It's a 32" diagonal one.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:00 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Seems like the last Samsung I bought is less than 2" thick. It's a 32" diagonal one.
Can you please tell me what model you have? All my TVs at home (at least 3) are Samsung and none are less than 2", even a 22".
Old 01-24-2017, 05:59 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Bob...We have a 2016 Allegro Red 38 QRA...Our outside tv is a LG 32" LF5600. looks like its about 2 1/4" thick from the back plate to the front edge. Specs list it at 2.2 "
RodneyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:24 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Can't the Panasonic bracket be modified to fit Samsung or another brand?

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlturner View Post
Can't the Panasonic bracket be modified to fit Samsung or another brand?

I haven't taken it apart yet to see how the bracket works. But Tiffin Service says it's a special design for the original TV.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:49 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Maybe find one of that model on Amazon?

jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:01 AM   #10

Thor, under warranty, replaced my outside tv last year, a 'Continu.us' brand, which had some picture issues, with a LG model. Now why Thor does not have the exact size and model that came with the unit itself, as they continue to manufacture this exact same Model floorplan, I'm not sure, but the LG model required them to do a little 'retrofitting' on the mounting plate to get it to fit the same opening.

Apparently, even the factory itself can't find the same depth tv!

oh, and I like the LG model much better... so, it was worth it.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:50 AM   #11

If anyone is interested, I figured this out. Turns out the original outside TV is bad and had to be replaced (good thing it wasn't wiring or some hidden component). The bracket mount on the Allegro is non-standard. The holes are 200 mm (horizontal) x 100 mm (vertical), whereas a standard TV VESA mount is 200x200. I had to drill new holes in the bracket to make it fit, but the bracket just barely fit that larger dimension (edge to edge vertically). Installing a new VESA mount wouldn't work because there's no real structure behind the TV, just paneling for the sofa wall. Also, there is an HVAC duct directly behind it that would get in the way.

The only 32" TV brand that would seem to fit are Samsungs, because their VESA mounting surface is 2" deep, and the max depth of the TV compartment is 2.25". Vizio, Sony and others are deeper. The deeper bottom part of the TV actually gets recessed into the compartment hole.

That's a quick summary. Let me know if anyone wants more detailed information. This process has taken me a while to work through.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:30 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO-Bob View Post
If anyone is interested, I figured this out. Turns out the original outside TV is bad and had to be replaced (good thing it wasn't wiring or some hidden component). The bracket mount on the Allegro is non-standard. The holes are 200 mm (horizontal) x 100 mm (vertical), whereas a standard TV VESA mount is 200x200. I had to drill new holes in the bracket to make it fit, but the bracket just barely fit that larger dimension (edge to edge vertically). Installing a new VESA mount wouldn't work because there's no real structure behind the TV, just paneling for the sofa wall. Also, there is an HVAC duct directly behind it that would get in the way.

The only 32" TV brand that would seem to fit are Samsungs, because their VESA mounting surface is 2" deep, and the max depth of the TV compartment is 2.25". Vizio, Sony and others are deeper. The deeper bottom part of the TV actually gets recessed into the compartment hole.

That's a quick summary. Let me know if anyone wants more detailed information. This process has taken me a while to work through.
Bob, I'm very interested in more details. I have a 2014 Allegro 36LA and the outside TV needs replacing. What model of Samsung did you end up installing? Thanks! Jim
DreamCatcherVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:26 AM   #13

Outside TV Replacement

I ended up buying an inexpensive smart TV from Costco. It has a model # UN32J525DAF. But it looks like all the models sold by different distributors (eg Amazon) with model #s starting UN32J52? are the same size. Find the best deal and check size to be sure the VESA mount surface on the TV is no deeper than 2" from the front of the TV. I was able to actually measure it at Costco. But it is very close regardless. I had to even put small foam pads on the front of the TV to make sure the outside door doesn't hit when closed.

The two main problems encountered were - (1) drilling new holes in the existing TV mounting bracket to match 200x200, and (2) measuring and drilling new holes into the RV baseplate wall to accommodate the mount for the slightly different TV size, neither being a huge problem. The deeper bottom of the TV will essentially rest and protrude back into the TV opening in the baseplate.

The old foam gasket attached to the old TV really doesn't fit the new TV although I reapplied it anyway where the TV might come close to the baseplate to protect it from vibration.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:43 AM   #14

Also be aware that the TV mounting screws on the old Panasonic are narrower diameter than needed on the Samsung. You'll have to buy four #8 metric screws (as I recall) and drill larger holes in the mounting bracket.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement