Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2021, 05:17 PM   #1

PA EZPass

All my Pennsylvania Tiffin peeps...

We have had an EZPass transponder for our cars for many years.

From what we're reading, it appears that we may need a separate one for the Tiffin because of it's weight.

Any PA owners have some insight?

Thanks! Kip
CaptainKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2021, 05:33 PM   #2

We were in PA recently and used the pay by tag option. It appears that they charge by weight and number of axels.
BRodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:05 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have a dedicated ezPass for my coach. Go through ezdrivema.com which is Massachusetts and it does not cost you anything except to put some money in escrow.
Ohio44718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:40 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
All you need to do is go on the pa ez pass website and add your coach to the list of vehicles on that transponder. THAT SIMPLE! anywhere EZ-PASS is excepted your GOOD but not all states ALSO it you are towing make sure the transponder is in the coach and none in the car, you avoid multi fees I used mine as far south as Virgina. with NO PROBLEMS
tjvogtiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:52 PM   #5

I have PA EZPass and yes you need a different transponder.
Old 12-01-2021, 08:17 AM   #6

OK... the "Correct" answer is that any motorhome over 15,000 lbs is required to open a "commercial" non-commercial MOTORH account and use a separate transponder.

In reality, it seems many users just add their coach to their existing account and keep using the transponder they have.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Kip
Old 12-01-2021, 05:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKip View Post
All my Pennsylvania Tiffin peeps...

We have had an EZPass transponder for our cars for many years.

From what we're reading, it appears that we may need a separate one for the Tiffin because of it's weight.

Any PA owners have some insight?

Thanks! Kip
I have been using my PA standard EZPass in my MH with no issues in PA and many other states. The online billing is for the actual weight class & axles of the coach & toad.

When I had my class C I had a weight specific license plate mounted transponder. I had a 50% read rate, it was a PIA. When I went to the class A I just moved the EZPass I had since PA adopted EZPass to the coach and cancelled the license plate mounted transponder. No issues and 100% read rate.

If you contact PA they will tell you you must setup a commercial account for anything over 16,000#.

Use what you have you will be fine, at least from my experience over the last 17 months.

Edit to add:
You might want to consider upping your replenishment amount above the minimum so that you don't have too many in one month, they frown upon more than 2 replenishments per month. Mine is set at $70.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 05:48 PM   #8

Get the UNI pass from Florida.

I got away with using my regular ezpass for about a year until they suspended it, then had to get a separate one for the RV.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
Get the UNI pass from Florida.

I got away with using my regular ezpass for about a year until they suspended it, then had to get a separate one for the RV.
So why was your EZ Pass account suspended ?
Old 12-02-2021, 06:27 AM   #10

Good info in this article.

https://rvnstyle.com/best-toll-pass-...coast-updated/
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 06:37 AM   #11
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKip
OK... the "Correct" answer is that any motorhome over 15,000 lbs is required to open a "commercial" non-commercial MOTORH account and use a separate account.

That's another PA money grab. You do not have to buy the transponder from the state where you live. I live in Ohio and have had the E-ZPass from Delaware in all the cars. I now have a Uni in the motorhome.

Ohio had a similar money grab by charging a monthly fee if you did not use the transponder often so I went with Delaware.

I just wish one of them had the HOV switch for when we drive in the DC metro area.

Ray
Old 12-07-2021, 03:51 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
We reside in NC and have the NC Quick Pass…never had an issue with other states…good in every EZPass state and Florida
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 03:57 PM   #13

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKip View Post
OK... the "Correct" answer is that any motorhome over 15,000 lbs is required to open a "commercial" non-commercial MOTORH account and use a separate transponder.
In reality, it seems many users just add their coach to their existing account and keep using the transponder they have.
Thanks for the replies everyone!
Kip

Do some research on-line. Some states charge a monthly fee to have a transponder some do not. Check the "class" associated with different weights and number of axles, Also height.

Since you can use EZPass transponder in any EZPass state you might find that this research can save you $$$ every year.

I believe that PA currently has the most expensive toll road based on $/Mi in the country
Old 12-07-2021, 04:16 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I had an RV EZ Pass from PA. It is good for up to 26 or 27k pounds. I had to go the non-commercial commercial one for my current MH which is over the weight limit for the RV pass. I would suggest do as others have said and get one from another state or inquire about the RV pass.

I have used EZ Pass in many northern states and also all of FL toll roads. The FL turnpike is a recent addition, other toll roads in the state accepted EZ Pass for a few years.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote