Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2020, 12:25 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Paper has always been our "night before" go to for the big picture on the kitchen table. Sometimes we write notes in the margins at the end of the day.
So yes, we use the paper atlas in conjunction with gps all the time.

While electronic maps are great for quick references, We also like the paper maps and atlases much better, particularly for route planning. Its much easier to flip between maps and go back to a previous one when necessary.

We also have a Rand McNally RV7ND which works very well for us. Of course its not infallible, but situational awareness will cover most problems.

For the poster who had problems with his RV7ND, I highly suspect that some basic settings and parameters may not have been set correctly if at all, as well as route programming issues.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2020, 04:26 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
While electronic maps are great for quick references, We also like the paper maps and atlases much better, particularly for route planning. Its much easier to flip between maps and go back to a previous one when necessary.

We also have a Rand McNally RV7ND which works very well for us. Of course its not infallible, but situational awareness will cover most problems.

For the poster who had problems with his RV7ND, I highly suspect that some basic settings and parameters may not have been set correctly if at all, as well as route programming issues.
we like the truckers atlas for basic route planning as we prefer to be off the interstates. We find it quick and easy. We then use google maps while we are actually on the road to check lane changes and such and if google wants to take us on a different road we verify it with the truckers atlas before we go on it. whichever of us is the passenger sits with the truckers atlas open and watches google maps as well while the driver drives.

There are several low clearance apps available, we use The Allstays app for finding campgrounds. It has realtime tracking and shows clearances as well. We use it sometimes for the last few miles getting to the CG.
Old 11-05-2020, 08:41 AM   #17

We use google maps for rout planning. Proble with this is wife would follow route blindly. I review listed highways with paper atlas in the morning. Saves me making a zillion turns that don’t save me any time. Driving 62 means it’s all about total miles not time.

Enjoy the journey
Old 11-05-2020, 09:02 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
??

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
What do you do to avoid weight or height restricted routes if you're using Google Maps?

I don't use back roads. Besides, if it can't calculate a straight line route on a major interstate why would I trust it to know where the low clearances are?
guitarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:09 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy View Post
I don't use back roads. Besides, if it can't calculate a straight line route on a major interstate why would I trust it to know where the low clearances are?
Not really what I was asking. Doesn't matter to me why you don't trust the GPS units, my question was how do you avoid height or weight restrictions if you're using a mapping source which doesn't include these features?

Don't use back roads? Not possible. Unless you live on a freeway and only stay at campgrounds on the freeway you're going to be on back roads or surface roads. And not all "freeways" or "turnpikes" are safe for motor homes either.

There was recently a situation where a bus driver using a GPS ended up on a turnpike on Long Island with low clearance over passes. The driver was apparently using a GPS unit which was not designed for commercial/large vehicles, and so it didn't warn him about the upcoming danger. And yes, the driver also ignored multiple signs stating no commercial vehicles and low clearance.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...red/498114002/

My point is that it's imperative that all drivers of vehicles like a motor home use a current and accurate resource when route planning to ensure that they stay on appropriate routes. Google Maps is not going to help in this regard, which is why I asked what you use to do your route planning to avoid problems.
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:34 PM   #20

Thanks to all! This is a great forum... As a rookie we really appreciate the time you all spend responding with advice and information!
JimLuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:30 PM   #21

We use our built in GPS and phones/computers for most of our primary routing, but last year while on the way to Jackson California we were on a rural road that ended up being closed due to an accident. Trying to use the GPS to reroute was a pain and internet access on the phone was miserable. What saved us was a good old road atlas that allowed us to plan an alternate route that got us to our destination. It is not our go to, but it’s a cheap backup to have tucked away when needed.
Newmar2856 is offline   Reply With Quote