Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2021, 02:39 PM   #1

Parts!

My bedroom slide (Schwintek) is inoperable and we've been waiting 6 weeks for the parts ordered by the repair shop. A couple days ago I called Tiffin to see why the parts haven't shipped and what could be done to expedite. They couldn't find the order, so I ordered the parts myself. I specifically asked if the parts were in stock and was told they were and would ship the next day. I emailed the next day to see if they could give me tracking info. No response. Today I called to try to get tracking info and now I was told the parts are on backorder and they have no idea when they'll get them. I was told the person who told me the parts were in stock is new and didn't know what she was doing.

What kind of utter BS is that? Is this the first class Tiffin service everyone raves about? By the time our coach gets repaired the whole season will be over. Would they be pulling this garbage if we went to Red Bay? I have to say my opinion of Tiffin is getting lower as time goes on and I read the massive number of problems people report here and on other Tiffin sites/Facebook pages.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2021, 07:14 PM   #2

Have you tried contacting Lippert directly?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:16 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't mean to give you a rise but what do you think they are doing? Do you think they are lying to you about the parts and they do have them in stock? I can tell you first hand that across all industries there is a huge issue with parts supply, shortage, stock, everything. In fact, I am of the opinion it is going to get a lot worse before it is better.

Do hope you find the parts and get it going. One thing you might try is a rv salvage company. Might get you on the road quicker than waiting on new parts.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I don't mean to give you a rise but what do you think they are doing? Do you think they are lying to you about the parts and they do have them in stock? I can tell you first hand that across all industries there is a huge issue with parts supply, shortage, stock, everything. In fact, I am of the opinion it is going to get a lot worse before it is better.

Do hope you find the parts and get it going. One thing you might try is a rv salvage company. Might get you on the road quicker than waiting on new parts.
To be fair, I think the OP is upset about the apparent lack of honest, open communication and getting the run around.

First, no record of the order after six weeks. Then, told parts were in stock but got no response from a next day email requesting tracking information. Finally, called and was told of backorder while laying blame on a new employee.

How simple it would have been if the original order by the shop was identified as backordered. How simple if when he called he was told it was back ordered. If the employee did make an error, how simple to answer his email and explain a backorder.

Everything described can be seen as incompetence, at best, or purposeful obscurity, at worst.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 08:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
To be fair, I think the OP is upset about the apparent lack of honest, open communication and getting the run around.

First, no record of the order after six weeks. Then, told parts were in stock but got no response from a next day email requesting tracking information. Finally, called and was told of backorder while laying blame on a new employee.

How simple it would have been if the original order by the shop was identified as backordered. How simple if when he called he was told it was back ordered. If the employee did make an error, how simple to answer his email and explain a backorder.

Everything described can be seen as incompetence, at best, or purposeful obscurity, at worst.
That's pretty much my complaint. I know there is a parts supply chain issue. I can read it here almost daily, especially those who need DEF sensors, etc.

If Tiffin had been honest and told me it was still on backorder I would have understood. However, I was told the parts were in stock and would ship the next day. During my phone call to ask about the parts I asked twice if they were in stock specifically because the repair shop has been told the parts were on backorder. Then Tiffin didn't inform me when I emailed to try to get the tracking info the next day. I still would be thinking the parts were on their way if I hadn't called to try to get the tracking info.

I guess I'm also frustrated. I read here daily, and on other Tiffin forums, about the many problems people have. It makes me somewhat nervous about using the coach as we intended over the thoughts of having to deal with poorly designed and constructed systems. Do people just hope karma is with them and they can get successfully through a trip with no major issues?
Old 06-25-2021, 05:30 AM   #6

The majority of the posts that you read here and on other forums are people who are having negative experiences in one way or another. In my opinion the vast majority of people who own Tiffin motorhomes are not having issues, hence they don't write posts.

I am on my eighth motorhome and my first Tiffin. I've had nothing but positive interactions with Tiffin.

Best of luck getting your parts. We have been waiting for a dishwasher for our new home that was ordered 8 months ago. Now we are being told that the model has been discontinued.
bsedor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 06:49 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I can certainty commiserate with your frustration. Our MH was (and still is until next week) in the shop for an extra 6 weeks waiting for a common part from Tiffin. But in contrast, I'm still waiting since the first of April for my Coleman Mach 8 heat pump!

Tiffin parts is probably scrambling as fast as possible to hire workers to keep up with the increase in sales. But all companies are struggling to get workers. Plus all the supply chain issues.

Maybe Dickens was right: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

It sure does sound like the RV business right now!
Old 06-25-2021, 07:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Have you tried contacting Lippert directly?
I do think the OP should consider calling Lippert as suggested.
After getting the run around with several parts houses on a leveling jack, I called them and have one on the way in 7 to 10 days. They were very helpful and nice on the phone. Call them at 574-537-8900.
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:38 AM   #9

No luck contacting Lippert.

However, the repair shop called this morning and said Tiffin told them the parts were being shipped. They didn't have tracking info though so hopefully Tiffin was giving accurate info. Maybe by this time next week the parts will have arrived at the repair shop.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:41 PM   #10

Commercial Member

Parts

Just for our information what are the parts that failed? Motor? Electronic Control? Gear drive?

I also have Schwintek slide and maybe I need to do close inspection. Getting ready for 3 week trip Ohio > WY > CO > Ohio. I can get along without using the slide as it's better if it fails with the slide in on my Class-C.
Old 06-29-2021, 03:57 PM   #11

athene - do not consider this annuity company.

i have had good luck with tiffin in getting a response and parts... we are on our third open road and did not consider another brand when we ordered. ...
but the story about telling the truth sure rings a bell.

we moved a portion of retirement funds to athene... they arbitrarily quit paying the money in september 2020... finally, today, 9 months and 10 payments later the funds have arrived...after a huge number of communications. they have given false information over and over again... then act haughty when i realize the error of their statements... management will not return calls at all.

the lie is becoming so common... the customer service rep just wants to get off the phone... at my last employer, another insurance company. the member service folks were rewarded for answering quickly and "solving" the question quickly. but the employees learned to give caller a quick answer and hang up or learned to transfer the call to another dept... which cut off their timer...
sorry for the rant, but i sure have learned to watch for false information...
ask for a name and or a "desk code" ask rep "what day is this "is this june 29 or 28? tell them they have sure been helpful . bragging on them helps insure they leave their recorder turned on. repeat back their promise in clear language... when the rep says "the funds will be released in 2 to 3 days." ask
so does released mean a check will be sent by friday? or what does released mean? when worker says the slide motor will be shipped out tomorrow. ask, what shipper do you use? usps or ups or ?
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 04:05 PM   #12

Call Lippert directly....

I too had a possible Schwintek issue and went directly to Lippert. All I can say is they provided some of the best service I have ever encountered. Their service center in Goshen is first class and staffed with knowledgable techs who know the product. Thier phone support for Schwintek was also first rate....
FlNewmarBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 04:18 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
We had the same problem a couple years ago. A little research and I found there is a controller box in the electric bay (at least for the Allegro Open Road 36la). It is close to the shore line box in the bay. It is about 3" x 4" by 1". Wires run to the bedroom slide. It has an override function that can be used to open and close the bedroom slide. It also has a troubleshoot mode to isolate if the problem is the motors or the control box. It kept us on the road for two weeks. This was pre-Covid so there was no issue getting a replacement. The service company was able to facilitate the warranty replacement but to busy to schedule a timely appointment. I replaced it myself.
emoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:03 PM   #14
mgg

Call Lippert directly

They are still having issues getting up to speed, but you might as well eliminate all the in-between!
mgg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts