Originally Posted by jkorn
I have the same problem..
I have had this issue with 50 and 20 amp GFI outlets. At home I have to find a outlet that is not a GFI. There just do NOT work together.
Friend had a 50 amp GFI at his site that I could not connect to either. He finally swapped it to a non GFI and all good.
Jeff, have you and your friend verified that you do not actually have a ground fault condition on your rig?
The GFI receptacle tripping is designed to tell you that you have a ground fault. The subsequent steps that would confirm or dispel this symptom would be to systematically test for a ground fault. If you don't, the next indication would be when you experience the electrical shock. There is typically no other advance warning, because these ground faults, while large enough to injure or kill you or your loved one, they are not large enough to trip the actual circuit breaker, or cause any heating or odor. Your 15-20-30-50 amp circuit breakers are designed to protect the conductors that make up your electrical circuits and prevent them overheating and causing fires. They do not protect people from electrocution. Serious injury and death can result from very small currents, much smaller than what would be needed to trip your circuit breaker. That is what the GFI is for.
Changing to a non-GFI receptacle silenced the alarm that was telling you that you had a potentially lethal condition, but it did not make the condition go away.
Sometimes a GFI receptacle is faulty and needs to be replaced. That happens. But it's not a safe bet to assume the GFI is at fault.
And beware when people say "certain rigs don't play well with GFCI's." That (IMHO) is a copout for not taking the time or having the understanding to actually trace the fault. That also is not a safe bet for you and your loved ones.
Test your rigs electrical systems. It takes a little time but it's not that difficult.