Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #1

Peeling decals

My decals have started peeling off. Can I buy new ones, or will they peel off in a couple years? Rig is parked outside. Thanks for any help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #2

You can definitely replace them but they will be expensive. If you can't find OEM ones, then you'll have to have them custom made or find a premade set that you like. If they look really bad why not remove them. With a heat gun, a razor blade, goo gone, and some patience you can remove them. Even better on a really hot day.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The UV rays of the sun dries, fractures and eats decals. The problem escalates as you travel southward into areas like AZ and TX. Storage under cover slows the process. If the decals are removed, you will see a shadow of where the decal was.
It comes down to co$t, individual preference and personal pride in your RV. Some replace the decals with identical ones or cover the shadows with custom made decals every 3-6 years. Others like me chose to cover the shadows with a custom paint job. A partial paint can cost $10K and a full RV body paint begins around $30K. Less if you go to Mexico. Keep in mind paint increases the re-sale value of a RV.
Having a RV facility remove decals will cost approx $1K. It is not an easy operation but can be a DUI project with the proper tools and patience.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:46 PM   #4

We ordered new ones from Tiffin. Can't remember how much, but they were worth it to keep the exterior looking good.
Pa Uon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:16 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We were at Red Bay in February and I saw the Allegro Open Road decals on the shelf.
They were priced about $36 each. I wish that I had bought a set, as my 2007 Allegro decals are starting to crack.
mtaiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:24 AM   #6
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
The UV rays of the sun dries, fractures and eats decals. The problem escalates as you travel southward into areas like AZ and TX. Storage under cover slows the process. If the decals are removed, you will see a shadow of where the decal was.
It comes down to co$t, individual preference and personal pride in your RV. Some replace the decals with identical ones or cover the shadows with custom made decals every 3-6 years. Others like me chose to cover the shadows with a custom paint job. A partial paint can cost $10K and a full RV body paint begins around $30K. Less if you go to Mexico. Keep in mind paint increases the re-sale value of a RV.
Having a RV facility remove decals will cost approx $1K. It is not an easy operation but can be a DUI project with the proper tools and patience.
I'm not sure that you would want to be working with the tools or on your RV after drinking. Save the drinking until after you're done.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 09:31 AM   #7
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
My decals have started peeling off. Can I buy new ones, or will they peel off in a couple years? Rig is parked outside. Thanks for any help.
We had the same issues with our 2004 30DA. I looked into replacing the graphics with new ones from Tiffin. After I called and priced a new set I thought I would look at other options.

For the cost of purchasing new vinyl decals and doing all of the work myself I found I could get the old peeling and fading graphics removed and painted back on for about the same cost. We had that done last August and am VERY happy with the results. It's basically the same lines as the original decals with a few minor adjustments suggested by the paint shop to make it look a little smoother and updated.

There is a thread on here with some before and after pictures if you look and are interested.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #8

Commercial Member

RE: removing old vinyl. Heat gun and pull slow. BUT if already broken up you may consider using plastic razor blades. Just ordered some on eBay. Haven't used them yet but seem like they would lower chance of damaging the paint.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:01 PM   #9

I would prefer to paint it rather than put on decals that might fall off again. I'll try to find the photos. That idea about plastic razor blades is good, too. Thanks!