Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2017, 01:48 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Phaeton 40AH Slide out Issue

My Phaeton has been in garaged storage since late June, other than a couple of day trips for service. I check it every couple of weeks. Today I noticed the front passenger side slide sticking out about 4 inches, more at the bottom than the top. I fired up the motorhome and tried pulling it in but it's still out about an inch and a half, still more at the bottom. Any ideas on what happened? I haven't had a chance to do much investigating, but I really don't want to extend it all the way and have it get stuck without knowing what's going on first.
Thanks!
David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Electric it hydraulic slides? Either way a first call to Tiffin would probably be a good first contact.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If Tiffin has not changed the configuration on the Phaeton, that slide is hydraulic and if it crept out, chances are a solenoid is defective or there is a leak in a line. When we first got our Phaeton, I found several fittings that were loose and or leaking a bit. Check the compartment with the hydraulic pump and solenoids, if the bottom of the compartment is wet, you have a leak. HWH makes the unit. If you don’t have a manual, you can download one online.
There are releases on the solenoids.
Perhaps give HWH a call, sometimes you are lucky and will get a good tech to walk you thru troubleshooting.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:30 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I did call Tiffin this morning and talked to Cory. You're right Gary, he said it could be a defective solenoid or a leak that is letting air into the line causing the slide to slip out. The correction procedure is to run the slide all the way out and hold the button down for about 5 seconds, then run it back in and hold the button for another 5 seconds. That will purge the air out of the line and possibly fix the problem. It might take a few days for the slide to slip out again if it is a defective solenoid. If it is, slides and jacks are covered under a TWO year warranty. Good to know. He also said it's OK to drive to coach with the slides ALL the way out, as in if you have to move the motorhome to reach a dump drain, water hose, or power pole if you forgot to check before you parked, not that I've ever done that before Thanks for your replies to this post, always good to know there's some tech help available when Tiffin isn't.
David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:46 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
That brings up a memory of my slide problem when I was at Red Bay. The main hyd slide was stuck all the way out. A Tiffin tech drove it to the service center bay with the slide extended and they fixed the problem.. I would have never thought you could move a rig with the slide extended.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:26 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
2016 Phaeton Real Electric Motor Slides

For everyone's future reference . . . My bedroom slide was shifting slightly to one side while extending & the lagging side would catch up at the end of extend cycle & seal properly eventually. Tiffin slide motor synchronizing procedure: Close slide. Press & Release Extend button momentarily. Press and HOLD Retract and let motors whirl, make noise, etc until silence. Repeat 3 or 4 times. Motors should then be in-synch.

Hoping you never have this problem . . .
JT-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:37 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT-RV View Post
For everyone's future reference . . . My bedroom slide was shifting slightly to one side while extending & the lagging side would catch up at the end of extend cycle & seal properly eventually. Tiffin slide motor synchronizing procedure: Close slide. Press & Release Extend button momentarily. Press and HOLD Retract and let motors whirl, make noise, etc until silence. Repeat 3 or 4 times. Motors should then be in-synch.

Hoping you never have this problem . . .
The hidden secret to keeping the electric slides in sync is to hold down the extend/retract button approximately 3 to 5 seconds after the motors have stopped.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out