Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2021, 04:09 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Phaeton 40IH - Sewer Smell in Half Bath

There is a persistent smell in the half bath of our Phaeton. Not a slap you in the face smell, but a lingering slight odor that we can't seem to get rid of. I'm not sure if it is black or gray water (because our xxxx don't stink ). Seriously though, it's just enough of an odor to be a nuisance.

Does any body have this issue? Have you solved it?

I see the sink drain has an in-cabinet vent but that cabinet doesn't seem to have a concentrated smell so I don't think that's it.
RH_RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2021, 04:47 PM   #2

We have on occasion. Use a bit of Fabuloso in both the toilet and the sink drain. Clears it right up. Might want to check if you have odor in the wet bay which is right below the half bath. If you do, might be he cap over the drain pipe. Last thing is I never leave my sewer hose hooked up. You get a lot of smell back from he sewer drain. I empty my tanks, rinse the hose, then unplug from the sewer and the rv.
Tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:50 PM   #3

Driving? At rest?

I saw a really good post on here where someone had determined that traveling with sloshing water in the grey tank created a vacuum/pressure surge and sucked or blew the the water out of the p-trap on the lavatory. I'll buy that. Short of refilling the trap, their solution was to travel with the sink stopper closed and enough water standing in the sink to create a seal over the drain. Worth a try. P-traps can also evaporate in storage. Make sure to run a little water at each sink if they haven't been used.

Check tightness on the toilet bolts and seal ring....possible that could have gotten rolled or was never installed properly.

May be some other causes others can chime in with.

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 05:51 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have that situation right now, but it is only when driving. I've narrowed the culprit to the toilet seals.

At first, it seemed to be coming from the clothes washer. So, I rinsed the gray tank with a dishwasher detergent pod, and a good drive. That didn't get rid of the smell. However, this last trip I thought it was coming from the toilet, so I put TP on the bowl to help seal it around the seals. It helped.

Is water staying in your toilet bowl? Ours isn't, the first sign the seals are going.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:34 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
All good ideas, thank you. P traps are full as we have been using the sink regularly. Toilet held water for a week between trips. I too only hookup sewer hose to drain then decouple. My drain cap seems to seal fine.

I think I have narrowed it down to one of two sources: gray water tank needs cleaning and it vents into the half bath or the water in the fresh water tank stinks and smell is emanating from the p trap.

I recently purchased the rig and haven’t cleaned either of those tanks yet. Previous owner used untreated well water and I think I’m catching whiffs of that. I already did a deep clean of the black water tank. I use dawn and cascade treatment for that - never used the chemicals and never had a smell or other problems in previous RVs. I just rinse very thoroughly every time. Thankfully, I have full hookups here at home where I keep it.

I will properly clean both of the tanks then see what happens. I love the fabuloso cleaner idea. I’ll also check to see if p traps empties after the next drive. Stay tuned...
Old 05-04-2021, 09:40 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
I find with that small bath I have to regularly use Mr Clean or Pine Power in the toilet. There is an AAV (Air Admittance Valve) high up under the sink that vents the gray tank. These are a common failure item and easy to replace. When they fail it allows odors from the gray tank, which can be just as bad or worse than the black, into the coach.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:57 PM   #7

Air admittance valve is the most likely culprit. It looks like a black cap on the tallest pipe under your sink. Less than $10 at Lowes or Home Depot.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:53 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
It’s definitely the gray water tank. I’m sure the previous owner left the valve open when in use and let debris build up. I’ve flushed the tank once and it’s already better. I’ll run some bleach through it in a final flush to more thoroughly clean the tank.

My understanding is that the AAV is to vent the pipe to allow water to drain and should minimize any gas exchange from the tank so I guess I need to also replace the valve this weekend since the AAV should not let the fumes in to begin with.
Old 05-07-2021, 06:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH_RVer View Post
Its definitely the gray water tank. Im sure the previous owner left the valve open when in use and let debris build up. Ive flushed the tank once and its already better. Ill run some bleach through it in a final flush to more thoroughly clean the tank.

My understanding is that the AAV is to vent the pipe to allow water to drain and should minimize any gas exchange from the tank so I guess I need to also replace the valve this weekend since the AAV should not let the fumes in to begin with.

I bought a 2015 Phaeton last June. First time we used it was for staying three months in Florida where we very quickly found out the AAVs needed replacement. I installed the Oateys since they seem to have a better track record.

I do seem to get some smell when we flush after the tank is about 1/2 full. Had the same issue in my prior coach.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:59 AM   #10

Grey water tank can stink like a black water tank if not clean. We too had recurring stink problems before I did a thorough cleaning of both tanks. Now there is no odor to speak of from either tank. If you coach has multiple grey water tanks, be sure to clean all of them. Also, there can be a slime buildup in the p-trap area under the sinks which might also smell.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
phaeton, smell