RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 7
Phaeton heat prob

We are traveling and now our gas heater won't work that worked fine yesterday. We own a 2016 - any suggestions? Electric heat is not keeping up.
__________________

Almondette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Skip426's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Powell River, B.C.
Posts: 19,238
Welcome to iRV2.

Do you have the owners manual for your RV's furnace ?
If not there may be a copy in the " Files " drop box , blue bar near the left end , under your welcome message.

Does the fan run ?
Do other propane appliances work ?
Do you have full 12.5 volts showing on your coach battery monitor ?
__________________

__________________
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:35 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
DeWat's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,160
Agree about checking other propane appliances to see if they work. Also if you are not already aware, the propane heat (if you don't have an all electric coach) is controlled by the front and rear thermostats only. The center thermostat only works you center air conditioner/heat pump (electric heat). If you do have an all electric coach and neither the front nor rear heat is working, you might have an AquaHot problem.
__________________
Dewey & Sharon
Southern Maryland suburbs of DC
2019 Entegra Anthem 44F
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 3,744
OK, we know you have a 2016 Phaeton. You have 2 gas furnaces (front and rear) or you may have the optional AquaHot system. Can you tell us which system you have as troubleshooting is really different between the two.
__________________
Roger & Mary
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V (Sold)
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (Sold)
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 7
We have the option of electric or gas heat. Are you telling me that "gas" is powered by aquahot (we did not realize this if so)? We do have probs with consistent hot water when using aquahot for the shower (we have been taking it back to service for a year now and keep being told it's ok). The "gas" heat kicked off again last night.
Almondette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 10:55 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
DeWat's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almondette View Post
We have the option of electric or gas heat. Are you telling me that "gas" is powered by aquahot (we did not realize this if so)? We do have probs with consistent hot water when using aquahot for the shower (we have been taking it back to service for a year now and keep being told it's ok). The "gas" heat kicked off again last night.
If you do not have an "All Electric" coach, then you probably have a propane furnace... in that case, [GAS] = propane powered furnaces and [ELEC] = roof heat pumps. If you do have an all electric coach, then you will have two gas settings... on the thermostat, [GAS] = AquaHot heat and [ELEC] = roof heat pumps. The additional setting is the AquaHot switch itself. The AquaHot switch, [GAS] = AquaHot (hot water & heat) powered by your diesel fuel, and [ELEC] (the lightning bolt) = AquaHot (hot water & heat) powered by an electric heating element in the AquaHot.

Finally, the AquaHot's electric element is not as "productive" as the diesel burner. So when it really gets cold, the electric element may not be able to keep up, requiring you to turn on the diesel burner. As Roger (LuvLabs) has already said, you would be better served if you give us the details of your coach other than just a 2016 Phaeton.
__________________
Dewey & Sharon
Southern Maryland suburbs of DC
2019 Entegra Anthem 44F
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:00 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
garykk's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 1,908
I am assuming you are using the propane furnaces in the MH. What is the outside temp when this occurs? It is not uncommon for the propane regulator to freeze up when a large amount of propane is being used in cold weather. Propane from the southern states will freeze up whe used in cold climates because of the mixture they use. Another problem with the regulators is oil from the propane can clog them. I would look at the regulator.
__________________
2018 Allegro Bus 37AP
2014 Phaeton 40 QBH (sold)
2018 Jeep Recon
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:38 AM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
If you do not have an "All Electric" coach, then you probably have a propane furnace... in that case, [GAS] = propane powered furnaces and [ELEC] = roof heat pumps. If you do have an all electric coach, then you will have two gas settings... on the thermostat, [GAS] = AquaHot heat and [ELEC] = roof heat pumps. The additional setting is the AquaHot switch itself. The AquaHot switch, [GAS] = AquaHot (hot water & heat) powered by your diesel fuel, and [ELEC] (the lightning bolt) = AquaHot (hot water & heat) powered by an electric heating element in the AquaHot.

Finally, the AquaHot's electric element is not as "productive" as the diesel burner. So when it really gets cold, the electric element may not be able to keep up, requiring you to turn on the diesel burner. As Roger (LuvLabs) has already said, you would be better served if you give us the details of your coach other than just a 2016 Phaeton.

We do not have propane we have an all electric coach with aquahot. Is this the additional details needed? We understand the electric element is not as productive as the diesel. For hot water we run both gas and electric. If it helps the temps here are in low to mid 50s.
Almondette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:40 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
I am assuming you are using the propane furnaces in the MH. What is the outside temp when this occurs? It is not uncommon for the propane regulator to freeze up when a large amount of propane is being used in cold weather. Propane from the southern states will freeze up whe used in cold climates because of the mixture they use. Another problem with the regulators is oil from the propane can clog them. I would look at the regulator.
We do not have propane. We have all electric with aquahot
Almondette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:43 AM   #10
Community Moderator
 
Spk64's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 10,528
Phaeton heat prob

See if you have any error lights on the AquaHot control box. This will be located in the compartment with the AquaHot.
__________________
Steve
2002 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095
Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:13 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
garykk's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southern NM
Posts: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almondette View Post
We do not have propane we have an all electric coach with aquahot. Is this the additional details needed? We understand the electric element is not as productive as the diesel. For hot water we run both gas and electric. If it helps the temps here are in low to mid 50s.
This is what's confusing us, you keep saying gas when in fact you have an all electric coach which heats with either electric or diesel .
If you are running the aqua hot on both electric and diesel, you should have plenty of hot water. When domestic hot water is called for one or the other is diverted, heat or domestic, can't recall which.
__________________
2018 Allegro Bus 37AP
2014 Phaeton 40 QBH (sold)
2018 Jeep Recon
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:33 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 3,744
With the temps in the 50s, your heat pumps should be able to supply more than enough heat. If you have electric floors, they should be able to supply more than enough heat.

For the heat pumps to work, you will need to set the thermostats to Heat ELEC and set your temperature for the coach.

If you want to use the AquaHot for heat, you need to set the front and rear thermostats to Heat GAS and set the Aqua Hot controls to ON and Diesel (or ON, ELEC, and Diesel). You would use the same setting for unlimited hot water.

If you have a unit with three A/C units, the thermostat for the center unit will not work with the AquaHot - it is only used for cooling and the heat pump for heat. It will have a GAS setting but it is not functional.

Still confused?
__________________
Roger & Mary
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V (Sold)
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (Sold)
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:32 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 7
Sorry I have not been as clear as I could be this is all new to us and we certainly appreciate your time and patience with our issue. The button for aquahot is marked "gas" so to be clear we have the option of electric or aquahot. And we do have 3 thermostats- but we did not realize our rear thermostat also had aquahot heat so thanks tons for sharing that. We have been in high winds until recently so now wondering if that effects the aquahot burner (as I actually had a more consistent water temp in the shower last night!) and if so is there a work around that would help it work better providing us hot water during these winds?
Almondette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
DeWat's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almondette View Post
Sorry I have not been as clear as I could be this is all new to us and we certainly appreciate your time and patience with our issue. The button for aquahot is marked "gas" so to be clear we have the option of electric or aquahot. And we do have 3 thermostats- but we did not realize our rear thermostat also had aquahot heat so thanks tons for sharing that. We have been in high winds until recently so now wondering if that effects the aquahot burner (as I actually had a more consistent water temp in the shower last night!) and if so is there a work around that would help it work better providing us hot water during these winds?
Good information, and no, winds should not affect your AquaHot burner since it's completely enclosed in a chambered cabinet. As already mentioned, if you're running the AquaHot on "gas" (diesel), then you really should be able to overcome the coldest of conditions. The "gas" position on your front and rear thermostats is what will cause the AquaHot to provide heat (the AquaHot must also be on gas, electric, or both). It is starting to sound like you might have a stir pump problem, but your 2016 might be new enough that it doesn't use the trouble proned stir pumps. One thing that might help you narrow the problem down is to determine if you're not getting heat at both the front and rear, or if it's just one end where you're having the problem. A couple things to also remember; 1) when you call for hot water the AquaHot will give the water priority heating over the heated air, so you may feel cooler drafts when running hot water, and 2) our front caps are not really that well insulated, so you will sometimes still get cooler drafty air when driving from the colder outside air penetrating the front cap.
__________________

__________________
Dewey & Sharon
Southern Maryland suburbs of DC
2019 Entegra Anthem 44F
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heat



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kwikee jacks prob ron55 Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 12 11-11-2008 02:24 PM
Raptor 08, 5thWheel Keystone 3600L-Generator Prob ErWeGO Toy Haulers Discussion 4 07-15-2008 08:54 AM
Wt prob answered eandy Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 4 08-04-2006 02:59 PM
Bit of an over weight prob W22 eandy Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum 6 07-26-2006 04:50 PM
Powerline Energy Mgmt System Prob Matt1616 Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 8 04-12-2006 04:35 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×