Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2022, 05:36 PM   #1

Phaeton Three Heat Pumps & Furnace Control

Our 2015 Phaeton has three air conditioners with heat pump. I seem to recall if the middle heat pump thermostat setting was 5 degrees more than ambient temperature it would start the front furnace. I know the front thermostat will do that and the rear thermostat will start the rear furnace.

We had a thermostat failure on the front air conditioner requiring replacement. Since the original thermostat is no longer made, we upgraded to the Micro-Air WiFi thermostat. We liked it so much we upgraded the other two. However, the middle thermostat wonít start the furnace and I canít recall correctly if it ever did.

Does anyone with the same setup know if the middle thermostat will operate the furnace?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2022, 07:08 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
On ours the middle thermostat does not control the furnace, only the front thermostat does. I'm pretty sure that's the way all Tiffin LP models are designed. When our front A/C quit, I replaced it with a non heat pump model so the front thermostat only controls cooling and furnace. The middle one is heat pump and cooling only. I also have the Micro Air upgrades and love 'em.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 09:40 PM   #3

Can you guys share more about the thermostat upgrades?
offroadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 10:32 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadr View Post
Here's a website link Micro Air and a nice installation video
BobGed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 06:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
On ours the middle thermostat does not control the furnace, only the front thermostat does. I'm pretty sure that's the way all Tiffin LP models are designed. When our front A/C quit, I replaced it with a non heat pump model so the front thermostat only controls cooling and furnace. The middle one is heat pump and cooling only. I also have the Micro Air upgrades and love 'em.

Thanks. I suspected that was the setup but just couldnít recall when the old thermostats were installed and the new one wouldnít turn on the furnace.

The thermostats were one of our best upgrades and I can now keep any eye on the coach for the dog without using my separate thermometer that we previously used.
Old 09-27-2022, 06:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadr View Post

Several YouTubers have $15 discount codes. I have read that they also do a Black Friday cyber Monday sale as well, but didnít want to risk them not arriving before we head south for the winter.
Old 10-11-2022, 06:00 PM   #7

Our 2017 Phaeton has three AC’s but only two furnaces. The middle therm does not have a furnace to control even though it looks like it. The advantage is that if the temp is close to 40 degrees outside we use the middle therm to turn on the heat pump without a furnace starting.
Nanci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, furnace, heat, heat pump, phaeton, pump