Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2016, 01:14 PM   #1

Picking up 2017 Breeze this week

What should I be concerned with in the walk through? After reading a few posts on tiffin I am concerned. Does anyone else out there have a 2017 with the new Cummings? Thanks
Breeze2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2016, 06:47 PM   #2

Hope you like it. Probably should know where Cummins RV service centers are, if you have a problem. They can work on most everything on the MH. Several of the members of our Good Sams camping club have used them.
Old 10-16-2016, 06:24 PM   #3

Posts on Tiffin?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:17 AM   #4

We have a 2017 Breeze and have made several short trips and one long loop down to Florida. We are averaging 11.5 mpg and just love the coach. We had a class C on an E450 chassis with almost no storage and the typical jouncy ride from the rear leaf spring suspension - the air suspension on the Breeze is wonderful. Just had to add a little DEF at 2200 miles - Wal Mart sells 2.5 gal jugs for under $8. Just be sure the jug has the factory seal intact! The Cummins is VERY quiet and pulls the Breeze well in the mountains near our home.
geraldnkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldnkathy View Post
We have a 2017 Breeze and have made several short trips and one long loop down to Florida. We are averaging 11.5 mpg and just love the coach. We had a class C on an E450 chassis with almost no storage and the typical jouncy ride from the rear leaf spring suspension - the air suspension on the Breeze is wonderful. Just had to add a little DEF at 2200 miles - Wal Mart sells 2.5 gal jugs for under $8. Just be sure the jug has the factory seal intact! The Cummins is VERY quiet and pulls the Breeze well in the mountains near our home.
Thanks, could you email me at jhale@silverstar.com
Breeze2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:57 AM   #6

I looked at a 2017 yesterday.
One thing that stood out was the lack of height in the storage bays due to the frame being pretty close to the floor of the compartment. Has that been an issue for you?
mattschilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 07:57 AM   #7

Just the opposite for us. We came from a Jayco Class C and after transferring over all our "stuff" from the Jayco we still had a complete empty bay in basement storage and after several trips, adding "necessary" items we still have many cabinets/drawers inside that aren't used. Keep in mind we are not full timers so we don't carry as much as some folks do. But lack of storage shouldn't be a concern on any current Tiffin coach. Also note that when Tiffin redesigned the Breeze for 2017 they raised the overall height by 6" with all that extra space going into the basement storage as the floor was raised up off the frame rails. I keep quite a bit of "stuff" laying on top of the frame rails. Hope this helps! Also average 11.5 MPG in summer driving (63 mph). I ran into a Cummins Mobile Tech at the Tiffin Service Center and he was telling me that while Cummins published the horsepower for the ISV 5.0 at 275 I think - he consistently saw 320 horsepower to the rear wheels on a chassis dyno.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:20 AM   #8

I have always understood that the HP to the rear wheels drops considerably as it is consumed by the transmission and driveline. Never heard of a case where it was higher then the stated HP of the engine. Is this possible? ( I have been wrong before.)
jo333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:21 AM   #9

Dyno HP

You are correct on Net engine HP vs. HP to the rear wheels. The Cummins Tech was stating that for reasons unknown to him Cummins had published HP numbers well below what he had witnessed with a Breeze on a chassis dyno. The only aberration I can think of is that the unit he saw may have been the prototype test Breeze that Tiffin made (the Gray Ghost) and the engine that Cummins installed may have been allowed to produce more HP than subsequent production engines....however that was not the impression I got from our conversation - nor from driving our Breeze.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:46 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Anyone have insight or rumor on the 2017 Tiffin 31BR ??? It has a new chassis manufactured by Tiffin with a cummins engine and Allison transmission...My understanding from sales rep is that Tiffin decided to build their own frame vs frieghtliner so the RED would sit lower and deliver cleaner torque and performance...Any info would be greatly appreciated...We like the coach but are being cautious...Thanks...

David & Joan
2016 Winn 29R
Jeep wrangler toad
scdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:46 AM   #11

I'm sure others will chime in with more/better info. But here goes. Tiffin has been building their own chassis for several years and Breezes have all been built on their in-house PowerGlide chassis. As they redesign Phaetons for example they have been giving the new design the Tiffin PowerGlide chassis and SmartSlides (the RED has neither of these). The RED, last time I looked was still built on a Freightliner chassis that has to be generic as it is used by multiple customers - some even for school bus use and still has a straight beam front axle. I have no ideal what "clean torque" is. But if you look at power to weight ratios, even at the posted HP and Torque the Breeze actually has more power per pound that it has to carry than some of the more luxurious coaches. When you factor in that the Breeze actually produces 320 HP vs the posted 275 it's even more amazing (I got this number from two different Cummins Tech guys who were involved in the Tiffin/Cummins/ISV 5.0 project).
So...not having a Freightliner chassis is viewed as a plus by me - and Newmar, and Entegra, and Newell, and Foretravel........
Old 06-29-2018, 11:56 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Any updates on 2017 and 2018 Breeze’s? We’re considering purchasing a 2018 Breeze
bds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:48 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by scdave View Post
Anyone have insight or rumor on the 2017 Tiffin 31BR ??? It has a new chassis manufactured by Tiffin with a cummins engine and Allison transmission...My understanding from sales rep is that Tiffin decided to build their own frame vs frieghtliner so the RED would sit lower and deliver cleaner torque and performance...Any info would be greatly appreciated...We like the coach but are being cautious...Thanks...

David & Joan
2016 Winn 29R
Jeep wrangler toad
Stay tuned. We just purchased one in a desire to downsize. We should have it in service in a couple of weeks. Picked up a low milage (6000). The 31 left the impression that there was plenty of storage for our snowbird travels that only last 3 months or so. What we liked is the ability to put it into almost any location including parallel parking in a double space down town. Of course you have to remember to feed both meters.. We do a lot of COE, State Park and National Park type travels. Our old "beast" was not welcome in some of these locations. I liked the power glide and engine combination and have talked to a lot of owners who share by the Tiffin chassis. We are about to start the new adventure.
michealwhela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #14

Picking up 2017 Breeze this week

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealwhela View Post
What we liked is the ability to put it into almost any location including parallel parking in a double space down town. Of course you have to remember to feed both meters..

Yep, I've actually done this in my 2011 Breeze 28BR. We downsized from an Allegro Bus 40QSP for the reasons you have mentioned here and elsewhere. You will enjoy the Breeze!
markulmer is offline   Reply With Quote