Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2020, 05:47 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Pipe and tank freeze on 2012 Phaeton 40 QBH

I recently purchased a used 2012 Phaton 40 QBH And wanted to ask other owners of similar Motorhome as to a safe outdoor temperature that can be endured before pipes, or tanks freeze.

Your experiences with this would be appreciated. Thank all of you who assist me.

Jerry
jerryd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2020, 08:39 AM   #2

Depends on a few things. Is the coach cold soaked? In other words, what has been prevailing temps up until this plunge expected? Also, is the coach inside or outside and what's the wind expected at or near the low temp expected? Of course, are you in it, or is it sitting alone, and if alone is there any other supplemental heat available? Things like running the LP or electric hot water heater, the main house inverter, and even the LP refrigerator all add heat inside, so that gives you a bit of a cushion. Generally, I don't get too excited until temps are expected to be at 27 or below for 2-3 hours and the coach is outside. Even there, you're plumbed with Pex and it can take some freezing. The elbows, fittings and T's are where you may see trouble. Also, full tanks cool a lot slower than just about empty ones. Open cabinet doors so as to not create cold spots. That'll help. Of course, you're depending on the weatherman in the end, and not all forecasts are created equal. Some are good and some have worn out their dart board long ago. Finally, close all slides. That gives less surface area to lose heat through and less seal area to leak heat out and cold air in.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:44 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryd13 View Post
I recently purchased a used 2012 Phaton 40 QBH And wanted to ask other owners of similar Motorhome as to a safe outdoor temperature that can be endured before pipes, or tanks freeze.

Your experiences with this would be appreciated. Thank all of you who assist me.

Jerry
Pigman has a great practical answer. My answer depends on how we are using the coach. I have 3 different modes, others may have more or less.

1 - Traveling when nighttime temps drop below freezing. I remove the water pressure regulator from the pedestal and drain the water hose. If the coach is comfortable for humans, the internal plumbing is safe.

2 - Parked at home between winter trips. Mode 1 and a drop light with incandescent bulb in the wet bay connected to a freeze protect switch. I also set the heat pumps on 45 degrees (lowest setting) and use electric oil radiator heaters in the large storage bay, master bath and kitchen. The heat pumps rarely come on. If the heat pumps won't maintain, the coach automatically shifts to the propane heaters. This is all reversible in about 15 minutes to allow winter trips.

3 - Full winterization - The Tiffin owners guide process with the pink stuff -OR- use compressed air to blow out all the plumbing. I used the antifreeze once and did not like it so now I use compressed air for the pressure lines and pink stuff in the P traps.
Larry F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 07:23 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry F. View Post
Pigman has a great practical answer. My answer depends on how we are using the coach. I have 3 different modes, others may have more or less.

1 - Traveling when nighttime temps drop below freezing. I remove the water pressure regulator from the pedestal and drain the water hose. If the coach is comfortable for humans, the internal plumbing is safe.

2 - Parked at home between winter trips. Mode 1 and a drop light with incandescent bulb in the wet bay connected to a freeze protect switch. I also set the heat pumps on 45 degrees (lowest setting) and use electric oil radiator heaters in the large storage bay, master bath and kitchen. The heat pumps rarely come on. If the heat pumps won't maintain, the coach automatically shifts to the propane heaters. This is all reversible in about 15 minutes to allow winter trips.

3 - Full winterization - The Tiffin owners guide process with the pink stuff -OR- use compressed air to blow out all the plumbing. I used the antifreeze once and did not like it so now I use compressed air for the pressure lines and pink stuff in the P traps.

Larry
Can we use compressed air with Aqua-Hot? I thought I read somewhere NOT to blow out lines with Aqua-Hot!

With AH just use RV Antifreeze ?
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 05:37 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you Larry,
I was planning on being in Virginia during December, and just want to insure that the water tanks and piping on this Motorhome will not have a freeze and potential rupture. I have no in-depth knowledge yet, I will soon on the most vulnerable locations , water heater, heating system, ect . Thank you all for your advice.
jerryd13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:12 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryd13 View Post
Thank you Larry,
I was planning on being in Virginia during December, and just want to insure that the water tanks and piping on this Motorhome will not have a freeze and potential rupture. I have no in-depth knowledge yet, I will soon on the most vulnerable locations , water heater, heating system, ect . Thank you all for your advice.
From this post, I assume you’ll being living in the MH? If so, you have little to worry about. Your rear furnace heats the wet bay so keep it on when nights drop below freezing. Some folks even put a small electric heater in the wet bay or a 100 watt lightbulb.
Just remember to take in your water hose on freezing nights and have enough water in your tank for the night and early morning.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:35 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Jeff, I don't have an Aqua-Hot so I can't say. Someone will probably jump in that winterizes theirs. The Aqua-Hot manual probably has a recommended process.
Larry F. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
phaeton, tank