Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2023, 06:18 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Possible changes in Red Bay

Just got back from Red Bay getting 43 of 46 items addressed on my Phaeton. Was there about 2 weeks. Waited ~5 work days before work started. Disappointed on a few items, but overall was satisfied. Techs and Tiffin employees were great as always.

In talking with Tiffin employees concerns are up. Changes continue to happen. I was told that the on site parts store by front office may be closed. The parts store is one of my favorite places to spend time in Red Bay. I spent ~$500 this trip getting spare parts for my new coach.

Was told that the employee were asked to vote on whether to close the customer lounge or the parts store. Announcement may be this Monday.

Been 2-3 years since I was last at Red Bay. Tours were happening at factory this trip, a lot of 5th wheels were being worked on (but none at campsites), no more sandwiches made at downtown Tiffin general store and the Rattlesnake Saloon is closed December & January (darn). I got there ~1/6 and Tiffin RV lot was ~50% occupied. When I left on 1/20 RV lot was ~20% occupied. Campgrounds around town had low occupancy too. A good time to get RV worked on.
BeachedTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2023, 08:21 AM   #2

Closing the lounge OR closing the store seems a strange trade off.

I can understand closing the downtown lounge. The lady is very nice, but there are not a lot of people there.

Closing the lounge at the repair center seems counterproductive
Jerryss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 10:36 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Georgie Boy Owners Club
We were in Red Bay about the same time (Jan 3-13) and agree it is a good time to get work done.

I wonder what lounge they are thinking of closing? The one at the end of the service bays is already 1/2 the size it was last year. They've put in offices on one side.

I was under the impression that the Allegro Club owned the downtown lounge. If that is the case maybe it is not a direct Tiffin decision. We were at the downtown lounge (now called the Tiffin General Store) for 4 days in the pet friendly side. Each day there were anywhere from 3-6 couples with their cats and dogs using that side and some in the main part as well.
Sir Tyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 06:15 PM   #4

Whatever they do, I really, really hope they don't close the store! Both times we've been to Red Bay we spent probably $1K there each time, and actually saved a bunch of money in the long run on what we bought (some of it in advance of the need).
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:06 PM   #5

I was only a matter of time before Thor changed things and mucked up a great company.
kg6vvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6vvo View Post
I was only a matter of time before Thor changed things and mucked up a great company.
My thoughts exactly! While we have heard "nothing will change" with Thor's acquisition / merger (?) I have been awaiting the no change changes. Tiffin probably has to send Thor so much $$$ every month or quarter.
NorCal Hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 05:36 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6vvo View Post
I read about closing some of their manufacturing of trailers of some sort in Redbay , also layoffs coming if not already . Fewer techs to assist also when calling .
Old 01-31-2023, 08:56 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to millerj Send a message via Yahoo to millerj
The word is out in Florida that the quality of Tiffin Motorhomes has plummeted. I've seen a couple of posts about quality issues with new coaches. They better turn it around quickly or their reputation will be toast.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:16 PM   #9

Foretravel Owners Club
I Have a Brand New New New .. Mountain Aire..Parked Next Door.. After talking to the Owner, found that He has normally traded His Tiffin's in every 4 or 5 Years and is on a first name basis with Mr Tiffin...He said that after inspecting several coaches built since Thor took over the Tiffin manufacturing.. He inspected and bought the Newmar..
He went on to say that for now, it's just the little things that arn't up to snuff, but after owning so many, He can tell the differences of floor plans, components used and quality of build..sad me thinks
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 05:53 AM   #10

We just left Red Bay and I was concerned about the changes too. Many of the independent techs that rely on people coming to Red Bay for work on Tiffins are worried also.Awhile back I was glad that Winnebago had bought Newmar, now I so wish they had bought Tiffin instead. Below is an article I wrote for RVtravel.com.

https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-industry...-tiffin-1089b/
Nanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:04 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
You have to look at the past history of Thor acquisitions. They will buy a company with reasonable service and quality and in a matter of months turn down the quality of customer service and product quality control. Would you have really expected any difference with their acquisition of Tiffin?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
You have to look at the past history of Thor acquisitions. They will buy a company with reasonable service and quality and in a matter of months turn down the quality of customer service and product quality control. Would you have really expected any difference with their acquisition of Tiffin?

Ken

Quality control was a problem long before Thor took over. Anyone that spent time at the repair facility prior to Thor certainly knows this.
KenJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 06:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJr View Post
Quality control was a problem long before Thor took over. Anyone that spent time at the repair facility prior to Thor certainly knows this.
Have to completely agree with you. We had (past tense) a 2017 31BR Breeze. Nothing but constant repairs or improvements. Not sure when the downhill slide began, but it was definitely before THOR was involved. We had a THOR and heard the reviews of Tiffin. Only to find out that there wasn't much difference other than in the esthetics. Even cabinet construction was similar with the exception that Tiffin's face frames were better made.
MevetS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:35 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenJr View Post
I agree as well. I've seen the Thor change at Airstream and Jayco and haven't seen any issues related to their purchases by Thor. On the other hand, Newmar's seem to be getting more quality issues as well but that too began prior to the Winnebago purchase. Management changes happen in any acquisition, as is the case with both Newmar and Tiffin, but any reductions in quality have started long before the companies were sold. Sadly, it's just happening in every manufacturer lately, although some are more extreme than others.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote