Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #1

Hello Tiffin owners,
I am in the market for a recent model Tiffin DP coach. I have come to prefer Tiffin, obviously I don't have to convince this forum why I feel Tiffin units are best. I am considering a recent model Phateon, Bus or Zephyr.

Here is the catch: I have two kids, so I require bunk beds! I currently have a gas class-A motorhome with bunks. I want to upgrade to a Tiffin DP coach, but I still need bunks.

So I am looking for a way to "lightly modify" a Tiffin DP coach to add bunks to it. Tiffin makes a similar layout for the Phateon, Bus, and Zephyr that has the washer/dryer installed at midship, versus installed at the rear of the coach adjacent to the rear wardrobe. Using this layout, I am considering removing the rear wardrobe sliding doors and removing the adjacent drawer/cabinet entirely, and installing two bunks in that space. I know that puts the kids in the master bedroom with me, but I think other options for installing bunks in a Tiffin DP are limited.

I respectfully request your help please:

First, is this possible? What are the dimensions of the existing rear wardrobe? Is there enough depth to the back wall to accomodate a bunk? Are there any pipes or wires or obstructions that would prevent me from using this space for bunks?

Second, do you have any suggestions, or have you seen anyone else that put bunks in a Tiffin DP coach?

I sincerely thank you in advance for your assistance. I've got to get a Tiffin

Thanks,
Mark
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2008, 06:36 PM   #2

Hello Tiffin owners,
I am in the market for a recent model Tiffin DP coach. I have come to prefer Tiffin, obviously I don't have to convince this forum why I feel Tiffin units are best. I am considering a recent model Phateon, Bus or Zephyr.

Here is the catch: I have two kids, so I require bunk beds! I currently have a gas class-A motorhome with bunks. I want to upgrade to a Tiffin DP coach, but I still need bunks.

So I am looking for a way to "lightly modify" a Tiffin DP coach to add bunks to it. Tiffin makes a similar layout for the Phateon, Bus, and Zephyr that has the washer/dryer installed at midship, versus installed at the rear of the coach adjacent to the rear wardrobe. Using this layout, I am considering removing the rear wardrobe sliding doors and removing the adjacent drawer/cabinet entirely, and installing two bunks in that space. I know that puts the kids in the master bedroom with me, but I think other options for installing bunks in a Tiffin DP are limited.

I respectfully request your help please:

First, is this possible? What are the dimensions of the existing rear wardrobe? Is there enough depth to the back wall to accomodate a bunk? Are there any pipes or wires or obstructions that would prevent me from using this space for bunks?

Second, do you have any suggestions, or have you seen anyone else that put bunks in a Tiffin DP coach?

I sincerely thank you in advance for your assistance. I've got to get a Tiffin

Thanks,
Mark
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Mark,

you've got an interesting idea there with the conversion of the rear wardrobe and storage area to a bunk location.

We have a 43QRP with the mid-ship mounted washer dryer. This configurations leaves as you say the rear of the coach available in it's full width for bunks. Unfortunately, I'm not handy to my coach right now to measure the depth of the wardrobe area, but I can say that there isn't any wiring or piping run up the wall between the closet and wardrobe area.

The newer style (2008 up) electrical bay configuration in the closet would allow your lower bunk to rest on top of the electrical bay and place the higher bunk some distance above that. Building the design that way would cut down on the distance between the bunks, but still allow for some storage underneath the lower bunk beside the electrical bay. Depending on the age/size of your children, a very short bunk utilizing the closet only may be suitable without removing the wardrobe area.

Of course, a much easier solution would be to use the front sleeping area We travel with oru 3 children who sleep up front. With the queen size air comfort coil sofa bed on the drivers side , and the queen length jacknife sofa on the passenger side, there's plenty of room for sleeping 3. In your case, put a travelsack on each sofa and instant beds for the 2 kids.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:08 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
They do make one in their entry (35QBA Allegro) line.

Can't ya put a bug in Bob Tiffin's ear that customers want a bunk model in an upper level model? I've heard he listens to his customers.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote