Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Possible purchase of 2008 Phaeton 40QDH

I have a deposit on a 2008 Phaeton 40QDH that has 23,000 miles on it.
My first impression while looking at this coach was that it had some rough use.
I have had it inspected by a third party. He found things like the main TV doesn't work, the cupboard hinges are way loose, window blinds broken, paint or panel on exterior panel blow wiper cracked, the windshield has 2 separate cracks, they took out the washer & dryer and left the space in array, large paint chips in a couple of areas on the exterior, batteries have corrosion and the acid has eaten holes in the battery compartment inside door.
These are just a few things. Would you go ahead with the purchase of a MH in this condition? Price aprx. before T&L $161,546. I'm thinking that's a lot of $$ for something with these kinds of issues. My 2007 SOB with just about 25,000 miles does not have any issues like this.
Appreciate your replies. Thanks
Linda
LRuiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2010, 09:52 AM   #2

I think that is too much for that coach in that condition. My 2006 40 QDH was only $168,000 brand new. I hope you can get your deposit back.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'd pass on that one. With that much neglect you just have to know he probably took care of his engine and chassis the same way.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I did pass on this MH. And, I WILL get my deposit back!! Maybe another Phaeton will come along?? Had my mind made up that if I purchased another MH, it would be pre-owned but now I'm thinking real hard on that.

Thanks
LRuiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Not sure how tight your budget, but we just purchased a brand new 2010 Phaeton 40QTH on the Powerglide chassis with options for about $23000 more than you were going to pay for the 2006.
sfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #6

Dont get discouraged, there are plenty of GREAT used deals out there, its a buyers market. Take your time, the right RIG will come along, Gene
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #7

I just purchased a 2008 Beaver Contessa Westport 42, 12K miles, very clean. Although I did have to clean up the battery trays. I can tell, but most probably could not, that two bay doors were repainted. The unit listed for $355K new, I paid just under $200K. You may be paying too much, but maybe not. Get the seller to replace the windshield and clean up the battery tray. I assume you have the drive train inspected--it's really the most critical part. Assuming it's in good shape, $160K may not be too much. NADA list is $216K+ for your unit.

It's still a buyers market, but sales are picking up. FYI, there was and still may be a new 2008 40 footer at Camping World Roanoke VA for $199K. Where I bought my unit, Independence RV in the Orlando area, they may still have a new 2008 Newmar 42 fully loaded for about $110K off sticker.

Best of luck,
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote