Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2020, 04:56 AM   #1

Potential 2014 Phaeton Purchase - Maintenance Issues

We are looking at a 2014 Phaeton 40QBH that hasn’t had maintenance since 2017 for oil, etc. and from what I can gather hasn’t had full chassis maintenance at all (slack adjuster, etc.). Most concerning is the coolant SCA has never been checked. (I spoke with the facility that was doing the work and am not sure they realized the coolant needed testing)

The owner has taken ill, which is why it hasn’t been maintained the last couple of years and I don’t think he knew about the coolant test requirements to begin with.

I am less concerned about the oil than the coolant as this can result in permanent damage to the cylinder sleeves. I can check the coolant now but that doesn’t tell me if damage has been done over the years.

Does anyone who does their own maintenance know how quickly the SCA levels drop?
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2020, 07:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
We are looking at a 2014 Phaeton 40QBH that hasn’t had maintenance since 2017 for oil, etc. and from what I can gather hasn’t had full chassis maintenance at all (slack adjuster, etc.). Most concerning is the coolant SCA has never been checked. (I spoke with the facility that was doing the work and am not sure they realized the coolant needed testing)

The owner has taken ill, which is why it hasn’t been maintained the last couple of years and I don’t think he knew about the coolant test requirements to begin with.

I am less concerned about the oil than the coolant as this can result in permanent damage to the cylinder sleeves. I can check the coolant now but that doesn’t tell me if damage has been done over the years.

Does anyone who does their own maintenance know how quickly the SCA levels drop?

I have a 2016 Dutch Star that I purchased used in September 2018. I checked the sca concentration at that time and it was good. I did annual maintenance again the in October of 2019 and it was still good. The coach was built in April 2016 and I currently have 18,000 miles on it. My sca concentration has been good for about 3 1/2 years.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:34 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
When was the last time the coach was started and driven? You best bet is to make your purchase contingent on an inspection of the engine and chassis at a Freightliner service center of your choice. It sounds like it needs a complete servicing.*
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 08:06 AM   #4

FL manual states 60 months/60K miles it's due for major PM. This includes coolant and fluid changes. Most folks go with an AOT type coolant that eliminates SCA check. The last one I had done on a DP started at about 2400.00 (2014). But if parts are required than add that and hours.
Old 03-04-2020, 10:46 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
The '14 Phaeton should have a wet sleeved ISL450. Just a thought, but with that said, would an oil analysis help in this area (if damage has already started)?
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If the coolant has never been tested and no one has added anything, test it, if it’s low, pass on the purchase.
Cummins is a real stickler about the testing etc. there are a few horror stories on this site about Cummins turning down warranty service.
For those with OAT, it still has to be tested every 6 months for freeze level and PH.
For those with Old World Global ELC , they sell test strips that are easy to use, basically a pass/fail.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:58 PM   #7

IMO the coolant should be changed, but a low SCA wouldn't bother me. The coach is no longer in warranty and has not been driven, so SCA doesn't really matter because its purpose is to prevent pitting in the liner that is caused by the shock wave produced by combustion. No driving = no combustion.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:14 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Agree with Ernieh! [emoji41]
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:35 PM   #9

I would find a Freightliner service center and have a thorough servicing of all fluids and filters. Expect to spend a grand or a little more. It is worth the piece of mind.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:08 PM   #10

Here is my go forward solution prior to purchase. I made an offer for the coach that will include the full 48 month chassis maintenance at Gaffney. However, prior to this, I will hire a private inspector who will draw coolant an oil samples and send them out for testing. Based on test results I will move forward to the next step for purchase. The owner hasn’t yet accepted the terms of the offer, but I feel for me it’s a logical progression that protects me going forward and I will pay the inspector which shows the current owner I am moving in good faith.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:52 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds fair to me.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:12 AM   #12

Oh well, moving on. Current owner is underwater and refused my offer, wanting me to basically pay a high value so they can pay off their note. Don’t think they are going to be able to sell it unless someone new to RV’ing buys it not knowing the situation.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:27 AM   #13

You might check back with him in a few weeks. It's not likely he will sell it for more than it's worth and you can remind him that it needs service.

But I think you are wise to move on, many more to choose from.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:06 AM   #14

Just to be nosy, what was the asking price?
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, phaeton, purchase