Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2020, 04:52 PM   #1

Question Power Issues

We have an 06 Allegro Bus. We have had an intermittent issue with power which has now become regular. We have a Surge Guard Model 34560 protector and an Intellitec Transfer Relay 00-00803-400 50 amp. We have intermittently had a power loss, generator works fine, and last year when the issue raised its ugly head turning the generator on would close the link with the power and it would be fine. Last Saturday we had this happen again but nothing so far has worked. We replaced the Transfer Relay, still doesn't work. What happens is : The surge guard has a light for each line, an error light that flashes until the power comes on and a power light. At this time, when hooked into shore power the green light for one line comes on and the other does not. The power connection never completes the circuit. What does anyone think the issue might be? The inverter is original, the surge guard is several years old. Could it be one of them? Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Kay Knott is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2020, 06:26 PM   #2

I'm not a big fan of that brand myself but let's assume it's working. If the green light is out, that's telling you that there's no voltage on that leg. So, get a DVM and measure that voltage. But only if you're comfortable working with 240 volts AC. If you are not, call an electrician. If you're in an RV park, you can ask their handyman to measure for you.

If it turns out that Surge Guard is bad, you can bypass it fairly easily while you wait for a new one, or an electrician can bypass it for you.

If it were mine, I'd assume it was trying to tell me that there's one leg of the 240 volts that's missing and I'd check that first.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I'm not a big fan of that brand myself but let's assume it's working. If the green light is out, that's telling you that there's no voltage on that leg. So, get a DVM and measure that voltage. But only if you're comfortable working with 240 volts AC. If you are not, call an electrician. If you're in an RV park, you can ask their handyman to measure for you.

If it turns out that Surge Guard is bad, you can bypass it fairly easily while you wait for a new one, or an electrician can bypass it for you.

If it were mine, I'd assume it was trying to tell me that there's one leg of the 240 volts that's missing and I'd check that first.
Agree^^.

If the surge guard is wired in the coach, the issue may be with the power cord. You may wish to check the continuity of each wire in the cord.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:52 PM   #4

Thank you for your response. A friend suggested I try bypassing the main cord and reel, which I did, and that was the problem. a bad connection someplace. Will try and find someone to look at it and see if it can be repaired, until then we will get another extension cord and bypass the reel. Dumb us, we left our extension cord at home knowing we wouldn't need it and thinking our problem had been resolved. A simple solution maybe, but could also be an expensive one. Again, thank you for responding to my query. Have a great day. Kay

On the positive side we got to do some dry camping for a few days.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:18 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There is a good chance that it’s the reel. They have been known to have dead spots from arcing. Try moving the reel a little bit and see if power is restored.
Arcing usually occurs when the reel is operated when plugged in to a power source.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:37 PM   #6

Thank you, we'll have to check that out. The reel had been secure but came loose, and we recently had it re-secured. What is most odd is we were stationary, and had been for a week, then woke up one morning without power. We replaced the reel once back at Tiffin, a few years ago. Thank you for the suggestion.
Kay

Tags
power