Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2022, 02:10 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Power steering fluid leak 4 hours from home

I am at a campground in Show Low, AZ, about 4 hours from home(Tucson). I noticed a large damp spot under the rig this afternoon, about 8-10 inches in diameter. Upon further inspection under the rig, the fluid is pink and I believe is coming from my power steering fluid canister near the back of the rig, but I can’t see exactly where. While under there, I did get dripped on, so the leak is still active. I still seem to have plenty of fluid when I checked the level. Today is Sunday and I’m supposed to drive home Wednesday. Is it safe to do so as long as I can maintain adequate fluid levels, or do I need to try to get help before going home? I was already scheduled to go into a Cummins service center next week for annual maintenance. Any advice appreciated. There is a diesel truck service in Show Low but I don’t know if/when they could get to it. It would probably mean that I would have to decamp, unload/lose most perishable food and send my 4 dogs home w a friend.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2022, 02:15 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If your fluid level is ok it would appear that your leak is minimal. It takes very little fluid to make an 8” circle. Ideally I would want to locate the source but by what you describe I would stick to your plan to go home although I would plan a stop after it running a few minutes and then again about a 1/2 hr down the road.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2022, 02:32 PM   #3

Don't make any go/no decision until you absolutely identify the source of the leak.

Could be you just need to stop every 25 miles or so to check fluid level. Could be something about to let loose and you would loose all fluid and power steering and do a lot of mechanical damage (hydraulic pump running dry.....).
Old 11-27-2022, 02:35 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Check the tightness of the hose clamps on the bottom of the reservoir. Ours was leaking a little until I tightened the clamps.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:21 AM   #5

Where is the leak or puddle on the ground while facing your engine? If it’s on the right side toward the rear it might be your reservoir has a loose line. If more towards the center and rear of the engine, check your transmission oil cooler assembly. It’s a long narrow silver box looking thing with hoses coming in each end. I had one where the weld cracked and was dripping. Depending on the type of antifreeze you use it could be pink. Put a clean piece of cardboard under your coach and it’ll help you Id the source of the leak better.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 05:35 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorse6 View Post
Where is the leak or puddle on the ground while facing your engine? If it’s on the right side toward the rear it might be your reservoir has a loose line. If more towards the center and rear of the engine, check your transmission oil cooler assembly. It’s a long narrow silver box looking thing with hoses coming in each end. I had one where the weld cracked and was dripping. Depending on the type of antifreeze you use it could be pink. Put a clean piece of cardboard under your coach and it’ll help you Id the source of the leak better.

I don’t believe the Allison fluid is red.
jlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 02:10 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmitchmd View Post
I am at a campground in Show Low, AZ, about 4 hours from home(Tucson). I noticed a large damp spot under the rig this afternoon, about 8-10 inches in diameter. Upon further inspection under the rig, the fluid is pink and I believe is coming from my power steering fluid canister near the back of the rig, but I can’t see exactly where. While under there, I did get dripped on, so the leak is still active. I still seem to have plenty of fluid when I checked the level. Today is Sunday and I’m supposed to drive home Wednesday. Is it safe to do so as long as I can maintain adequate fluid levels, or do I need to try to get help before going home? I was already scheduled to go into a Cummins service center next week for annual maintenance. Any advice appreciated. There is a diesel truck service in Show Low but I don’t know if/when they could get to it. It would probably mean that I would have to decamp, unload/lose most perishable food and send my 4 dogs home w a friend.
RESOLUTION: a mobile diesel mechanic came out and found that there was a very loose clamp at the power steering pump, ready to come off. He tightened it and all is well. I had tightened the clamps at the canister, to no avail. I did not see this clamp when I was under there checking things out. It’s a very tight fit there and I’m not very familiar with these things. Very glad he could come and very glad it didn’t fall apart while I was driving through the mountains! I look for leaks as part of my pre-check and there were none so I don’t know when this started. Thanks everyone for your input, especially the advice not to move until it could be identified.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:01 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to Dsrtrider
power steering leak

That must be the clamp that is near the passenger frame rail on the hose that goes to reservoir . Mine was leaking there also . I had to get a concoction of a flex socket and ratchet and extension to get it tight they installed that clamp at a weird position. I have a 37AP also
Dsrtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 06:43 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsrtrider View Post
That must be the clamp that is near the passenger frame rail on the hose that goes to reservoir . Mine was leaking there also . I had to get a concoction of a flex socket and ratchet and extension to get it tight they installed that clamp at a weird position. I have a 37AP also
That’s exactly where it was. I’m going to Cumins next week for annual service and will have them recheck, but he said he got it tight. It was sort of hard to get to and he said it was almost off. I got lucky.
Old 11-29-2022, 10:05 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
RESOLUTION: a mobile diesel mechanic came out and found that there was a very loose clamp at the power steering pump, ready to come off. He tightened it and all is well. I had tightened the clamps at the canister, to no avail. I did not see this clamp when I was under there checking things out. It’s a very tight fit there and I’m not very familiar with these things. Very glad he could come and very glad it didn’t fall apart while I was driving through the mountains! I look for leaks as part of my pre-check and there were none so I don’t know when this started. Thanks everyone for your input, especially the advice not to move until it could be identified.

Glad to hear it was a simple repair. In hindsight I feel that I gave you bad advice to go ahead and hit the road. Personally I would have done what others advised and rectified the leak before driving but it sounded like you weee more hands off then I am but regardless you did the right thing by calling in a Tech.
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 05:12 PM   #11

Commercial Member

Quote:

#1. confirm the leak isn't a broken hose or hose coming off the tube connection. PS fluid is available at autoparts stores. A qt isn't that expensive so #2topping off the ps reservoir isn't a problem. #3 Don't over fill. There is usually a level indicator "rod" on the cap. #4 depending on location od PS resivoir and steering head the hose may be long and in need of better support as it might just be a small leak with a small hole where the hose wore through. Hose from pump to PS head is high pressure but I think the return is low pressure.

Find the leak first.
Old 12-06-2022, 05:41 PM   #12

I had a nearly identical experience on my first trip with my new Tiffin. I had a very large pool of pink liquid under the engine after my first day of driving. It turned out to be coolant leaking for a very loose hose clamp on a coolant hose. It was very easy to fix, but should have been completely unnecessary if the coach had been inspected properly before leaving the Tiffin factory. I had the same thing happen with a windshield washer hose on the front of the coach on the same day.

I've been very unimpressed, so far, with the quality of some of the areas of the coach so far. Loose hoses. Missing screws. Little things that become very annoying.
halleeng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluid, leak, power, steering