Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2020, 12:51 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
PS captains chair not moving fore or aft.

I went to move the PS front seat forward before pulling in the PS slide. When I did, it hardly moved. So, I tried moving it toward the rear. You can hear it trying to move, but it moved maybe a 1/16th of an inch, max. So, it is pretty much stuck in this one position.
Has anyone else had this issue? Maybe a wire or something is caught in the transport mechanism?
Fortunately, it was far enough forward to not keep the slide from operating.
Thanks for any suggestions.
JohnCZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2020, 12:16 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
If you're hearing sounds and you are getting a slight movement. It's not electrical. Look for something binding or stopping the movement.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:45 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
If you're hearing sounds and you are getting a slight movement. It's not electrical. Look for something binding or stopping the movement.
Thanks TonyDi.
Yes, I know the issue is not electrical. I hear the motor trying to move the seat. I just mentioned the wire could be the "something" getting caught in the transport mechanism.
Probably a bad post on my part. Just something I need to closely inspect under the seat.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:45 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think the seats ride on two sets of rails that might be your problem. Both sets of rails, left and right side are mounted on the pedestal. The other set of rails are mounted on the seat support structure. With both sets in place, the rails guide the seat fore and aft as the electrical switch is actuated. Attached to the rails are some, I think three sets per rail pair, plastic spacers. These spacers keep the rails gliding straight and allow free movement of the seat. Until the spacers get broken or dislodged. Then, the rails will bind and not allow any movement of the seat. I think that may be your problem.
I took my seat apart and salvaged enough spacers to allow one set at each end of each rail pair. The seat works fine now.
I tried to locate a set of those spacers and could not find any. The other fix was to buy new rail sets to replace the defective ones, $500. Now, my Mom might have raised a fool, but I think it was my brother.

The disassembly was easy, just cumbersome. How long my method of fixing the jammed seat will last, I don't know. It is working fine now.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:16 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks rvbiker45.

I'll look for what may be binding it. But, not get into too cumbersome of a job. I'm still under warranty.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:10 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
As noted in my earlier posts, definitely not an electrical issue. I took a closer look underneath while operating the Forward/Aft switch. As typical with these seats in cars, there is one motor that turns a long threaded rod on each side of the seat to move it forward or backwards. The threaded rod toward the DS of the coach turns, and slightly moves the seat either way. The threaded rod on the other side appears to be stuck, no movement here at all.
Cannot see anything binding up the one threaded rod. Looks like this may need to come apart to find the issue.
Again, since this is under warranty, I'll just add this to our list for a visit to Red Bay.
Did I see on here that there is a time limit for repairs at Red Bay during your first year?
Old 11-09-2020, 09:07 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCZ View Post
As noted in my earlier posts, definitely not an electrical issue. I took a closer look underneath while operating the Forward/Aft switch. As typical with these seats in cars, there is one motor that turns a long threaded rod on each side of the seat to move it forward or backwards. The threaded rod toward the DS of the coach turns, and slightly moves the seat either way. The threaded rod on the other side appears to be stuck, no movement here at all.
Cannot see anything binding up the one threaded rod. Looks like this may need to come apart to find the issue.
Again, since this is under warranty, I'll just add this to our list for a visit to Red Bay.
Did I see on here that there is a time limit for repairs at Red Bay during your first year?
If you’re under warranty you used to be able to stay at the service center campground for free, not sure about now. Once you sign in at the center( which is a must as soon as you get to RB!!) if you’re lucky you can get into the service center campground, if not plenty of others. Tiffin will send someone out to your site wherever it is ( you tell service center where you are ) to determine what needs to be repaired on your coach. It could be a regular bay or one of the smaller speedier bays that are usually limited to 3 hrs. Whatever your needs, you will not be kicked out after 3 hrs if you are under warranty.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:29 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks much, Gary!

Tags
air