Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2016, 06:08 AM   #1

Purchased new 2016 32 SA - what should I look for?

Guys,

the wife and I just arranged to purchase a new, 2016 Allegro 32 SA with every option I wanted, and a few I didn't really want (CB prewire? Seriously?), but it is a beautiful coach and we traveled 2 1/2 hours to look at it -- and the wife said to buy it.

We pick it up in 2 weeks and will spend a couple of nights at the dealership's hookups to check it out after we do our walk through and orientation. Anyone have any pointers or issues to watch for that they found?

It has a residential fridge and inverter - how do you check the inverter?

This is a really nice coach, coming from an ACE, and it beat-out a Winnebago 33C for consideration. Really looking forward to camping in it.

ALSO: Pointers on Tiffin support?

Finally: Those of you who purchased a rig a long distance from your home, did you find a local place for warranty issues or do you take the hike back to the dealer with a punch list periodically?

Looking forward to our stint as Tiffin owners...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2016, 09:04 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Oh View Post
Anyone have any pointers or issues to watch for that they found?

It has a residential fridge and inverter - how do you check the inverter?

ALSO: Pointers on Tiffin support?
Congratulations on your purchase!

Ours had a few options that we didn't think we would like at first, but grew to love. I wish mine had come with the CB pre-wire. I had to wire it for a CB antenna.

Since you will have a couple of days, just thoroughly check over everything such as fit, finish, workings, etc. Below is a PDI list that may help. Not everything will apply, but there is a lot to look for on it.

If you want to test the inverter, just disconnect from shore power with the inverter turned on (Magnum control panel). If the fridge is still running, then it's working. You can also test which outlets are inverter powered that way. The TVs, AV cabinet, and Microwave should be powered.

Tiffin support is awesome! They can help with questions and issues that come up even after your initial warranty runs out.

If you are going to use DISH network satellite, then you will want to request a special blaster and IR repeater from Tiffin. They will send it for free if under warranty.

We have had very few issues with our Tiffin. Maybe we were just lucky compared to some, but we'll just knock on wood and thank Tiffin!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Delivery Checklist.pdf (149.0 KB, 728 views)
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:53 AM   #3

Join the Tiffin Owners Club after you pick up unit. We have only been to one Tiffin Rally, but you get a lot of info at the rallies. I had some suspension upgrades done to my unit after driving it some. If you plan to go to Florida for the winter for a few weeks, you might want to have a bypass installed on your propane tank line so you can have an external 20 or 30# bottle. It was cold enough to run furnace in Feb. 25 miles north of Tampa. Have fun, Dave
Old 05-09-2016, 08:06 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Before you leave the dealer, make sure that everything works. Turn on the furnace, run the heat pump, run the water heater on both gas and electric, run the water system on pump and city water, make sure you know how to run the slides in and out, use the leveling system, turn on the windshield wipers, and so on. In other words, learn how to use everything before you leave. If anything doesn't work, have it fixed to your satisfaction before you sign the papers.

Tiffin support starts with the Service Department. Don't be afraid to call them and ask questions. Always have your VIN handy when you call.

You should also consider joining the Tiffin RV Network (it's free). It's run by and for Tiffin owners. (this board does not like the URL to be published, just Google it)
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Does your 2016 come with the 6 speed transmission?

LT Dan has an excellent check list. Thanks for that. On the plumbing checks, I found a crimped line to the black tank. It would have prevented the flush system from working properly. It took the dealer about 20 minutes to fix it, but saved me some grief

On the black, gray & fresh water tanks check, be sure to fill them all the way up and let them set for an hour or so. Then check for leaks everywhere, especially at the service bay. We had a slow leak in the black tank that was out of sight up stream from the dump valve. It only leaked when nearly full. Easy fix, just a clamp tightening.

Regarding service, our purchase dealer was 6 hrs away & we have never been back. Tiffin is real good about working with independent RV service centers & we had a couple of problems fixed by independents.

You're going to love your Tiffin.

Happy camping.

Dave
Caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:43 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Congratulations on your new rig...
Others have covered the must do list...also recommend joining The Tiffin RV site.
Lots of advice over there..
We bought from a dealer that was 225 miles away..have never been back. Any repairs I needed I did myself and Tiffin just sent me the parts...knock on wood we have had nothing major and certainly are enjoying our Tiffin..
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:34 AM   #7

Thanx for the responses everyone!

I will join the Tiffin site and I already have my Tiffin Visor!

Lt Dan: Awesome PDI list! I do use DISH network satellite! I'll have to remember to request the blaster and IR repeater from Tiffin.

Alegro1x: Which suspension upgrades did you do? and why? My ACE drove me nuts and I fear any suspension issues - but the 32SA seems to drive really, really nicely, no issues with tracking or wandering, and the vibration issues I had in my ACE don't even seem to exist so far. I'll know more after we finish the purchase and take it on a real trip.

Thanx AGAIN everyone. I'm really looking forward to this rig!

best.

Dave
Old 05-09-2016, 11:42 AM   #8

and ONE More thing!

When you purchased the new rig, did you just leave the stuff in the old rig when you went to pick up the new one and transfer? or did you unpack all or most of the stuff from your old unit and reload when you got it home?

Old 05-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When we bought our Phaeton, we traded in the other MH. The dealer reserved two campsites next to each other in a nearby campground. We actually walked over to the dealer, picked up the new MH! parked it next to the old, transferred our stuff, called the dealer and a tech picked up the old MH...
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswelld View Post
Does your 2016 come with the 6 speed transmission?

LT Dan has an excellent check list. Thanks for that. On the plumbing checks, I found a crimped line to the black tank. It would have prevented the flush system from working properly. It took the dealer about 20 minutes to fix it, but saved me some grief

On the black, gray & fresh water tanks check, be sure to fill them all the way up and let them set for an hour or so. Then check for leaks everywhere, especially at the service bay. We had a slow leak in the black tank that was out of sight up stream from the dump valve. It only leaked when nearly full. Easy fix, just a clamp tightening.

Regarding service, our purchase dealer was 6 hrs away & we have never been back. Tiffin is real good about working with independent RV service centers & we had a couple of problems fixed by independents.

You're going to love your Tiffin.

Happy camping.

Dave

Caswelld,

Yes, it has the 6-speed tranny. I checked out the tow-haul mode first thing and it worked like a charm. I plan to peek under the slides to check for the issues you mention, now that you mention it!
Old 05-09-2016, 04:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
When we bought our Phaeton, we traded in the other MH. The dealer reserved two campsites next to each other in a nearby campground. We actually walked over to the dealer, picked up the new MH! parked it next to the old, transferred our stuff, called the dealer and a tech picked up the old MH...

Thanx Gary. Our dealer said they'd park the new and the old side-by-side on their pads (actually a gravel lot with 50/30amp boxes along a guard rail) and i could take my time and swap out my stuff. I'm probably going to do that, but was just curious if there's a rationale for not doing that....
Old 05-09-2016, 04:21 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Congratulations on the new coach. You are going to have and create many wonderful experiences.

Service will depend upon your dealer. In our case our dealer is really good. I mean really good so we will only let his staff do the work. We have to travel 1800 miles one way but the coach was built to travel. Not only do they do good work they treat us like family. For us it is a no brainer.

We either do the work ourselves or 'save' the work to take to them.

If you do not like to travel or can find a dealer who will treat you as well and do good work a local dealer could be an option.

Needless to say there will come a time when you will not be home or near your dealer when you have an issue. Then all bets and preferences may be off as the task may be to simply get on the road.

Good luck with your new coach.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:49 PM   #13

The walk thru can be a lot to take in. On youtube there is an hour or so video of a walk thru on a new 15 or 16 36LA can't recall off hand, I watched that before i flew out to mississippi to get our 2016,,32SA, a lot of the items are the same so when we got there a lot of it was review, also my wife video'd on the I-phone all the electronic/ inverter descriptions so that I can rewatch when I forget how something is suppost to work,,,,,,,

My only complaint on the 32SA is that I have torn off the moulding on the slide behind the drivers seat. You have to make sure the drivers seat is moved completely forward so that when you extend the slide it doesn't rip off the moulding.I think they have realized that it is a design flaw because there is 1 screw with velcro holding it in place.

The sumo springs have been a nice improvement as well, looking at getting the safe-t steer stabilizer shortly...
Old 05-09-2016, 06:49 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
We got our 2016 31SA last November. We love it and took it to Wesley Chapel FL. Quail Run RV Park. The drive from PA to FL was great. Handling was superb. I only heard of one thing, with the clearance of the driver seat and the slideout for TALL people, NOT MY PROBLEM.

Good luck and ENJOY!
tjvogtiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase