RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 95
Purchasing a 2007 Phaeton 40 QSH any known problems?

Folks,

Getting ready to purchase a 2007 Tiffin Phaeton 40 QSH with 49K miles and I was wondering if there were any known problems? The coach is a one owner and was garage kept so the paint on the outside looks nearly new. Inside looks pristine as well.

The tires are new Michelin's as of 10/2015 so brand new. It has the Cat C7 350 motor with the Allison 3000 transmission. I believe it has the Onan 7.5KW genset.

Dealer is going to pull a full service, oil, filters, etc. and go through all of the systems to do a function check. Scheduled to pick it up this Thursday and have allowed as much time as necessary to go through all of the operation and maintenance procedures with the dealer. They said it will take several hours...

I have owed a E450 32' class C and a 44" 5th wheel so I have some experience that will translate but I am sure being diesel and a bus some will not.

Anything that can be shared based on knowledge I am lacking would be greatly appreciated. Always good to learn from those who have been there done that.

Scott
__________________

csdavis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 01:30 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
steved44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 190
Tiffins of that age have what they call the "big three", things to check. They have been fixing them with no charge, but an 07 might be too old to get a freeby. The roof rails (where the roof curves to meet the sidewall), they have cracks, especially the black ones. Ours is an 07, not black, and have been fine. The wet bay floor (the floor under the fresh water tank) was rotting so they replaced them with a plastic material. You can just look and see if the floor is wood or not. And third the floor under the drivers side front slide was not sealed well on some. Usually happens on the front edge of the slide. We had an 05 and had to have the wet bay and slide floors done. Our roof rails were fine. Yours may have been done already by the previous owner, but those are the main items to check. Good luck, our coach has been a great one. Steve
__________________

__________________
07 Tiffin Allegro Bus 42QRP
08 Dodge Dakota toad
Sea eagle 10.6 inflatable
steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:32 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved44 View Post
Tiffins of that age have what they call the "big three", things to check. They have been fixing them with no charge, but an 07 might be too old to get a freeby. The roof rails (where the roof curves to meet the sidewall), they have cracks, especially the black ones. Ours is an 07, not black, and have been fine. The wet bay floor (the floor under the fresh water tank) was rotting so they replaced them with a plastic material. You can just look and see if the floor is wood or not. And third the floor under the drivers side front slide was not sealed well on some. Usually happens on the front edge of the slide. We had an 05 and had to have the wet bay and slide floors done. Our roof rails were fine. Yours may have been done already by the previous owner, but those are the main items to check. Good luck, our coach has been a great one. Steve
That is perfect thank you!!!
csdavis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:05 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 398
Be sure to run the generator for some time, loaded with both a/c cooling, and also heating. Check ac's and heat pumps for correct operational levels at the same time.

If you have hydro-hot as an option, check the fluid level in the expansion tank first thing upon arrival. If it's out of range you may have a high $ problem. Then fire up that system, starting with the electric element, check for hot water, then fire up the diesel for a full checkout of the heating system. It takes a while to get warm water on the element alone.

Have a tech check hydraulic pump fluid levels in your presence, and show you where the tanks are: 1 for jacks; 1 for slides on passenger side. You want those serviced correctly when you leave the lot. They may be well hidden!

Be sure to take your Dish or DirectTV receiver along, from home so you can ensure the operation of the Kingdome, which is likely installed. I wouldn't worry so much if there's a Winegard Travler upgrade installed.

If you have a Norcold propane/electric reefer installed, have it run for hours to be sure it is working. Be prepared to get rid of it for a residential model ASAP. We replaced ours because it quit cooling, and mainly because of fire danger.

If you have the dishwasher, be sure to run it a couple full cycles and check for leaks.

We have a 2007 Allegro Bus, bought used in late 2010. We love the Tiffin but have had major expense on hydro-hot, KingDome, Norcold, and dishwasher.

We kept the Bus on the Good Sam Extended Warranty, and I recommend you look at that.

How's the time to catch these issues, do a very thorough acceptance inspection. Get registered with Tiffin so they know you own your rig. The techs in Red Bay, parts and service, are very helpful and only a phone call and VIN number away.

Where are you located?
Larrikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:28 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
vsheetz's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 14,602
A call to Tiffin and they will readily check if they have status of the 'big three' being done to the coach. Just need the VIN # (actually just the last six digits).
__________________
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:12 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 95
I really appreciate the information today is the day I pick up the coach so pretty excited but this is all good information.

Scott
csdavis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:55 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
steved44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 190
Congratulations, on your new baby! Those "07's" make fine busses! Enjoy!
__________________
07 Tiffin Allegro Bus 42QRP
08 Dodge Dakota toad
Sea eagle 10.6 inflatable
steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #8
Member
 
jroan's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pearl Mississippi
Posts: 90
Scot - I have a 2007 Phaeton 40QDH and we have 56K on our coach and have been very happy with it. We purchased it Aug 2006 and of the big 3 the wet bay floor had to be replaced. The roof rails so fare have no cracks (something I check once a month) the Driver side slide was good each time it was checked (I think because the coach has been stored inside since new ).
There is one item that you may won't to check and that is the air filter ,which on my coach is a 3 year requirement for service.
Good luck on your purchase and safe travels.

Jroan
__________________
Jerry & Anna
Retired Navy - 55 yrs Aircraft Mechanic/Pilot
2007 40 Ft Tiffin Phaeton, 2016 Ford Explorer
jroan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 05:02 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 95
J

I had to take the uinit back to the dealer, there were several issues which are being addressed.

Dash air was not very cold.
Driver side front slide not going in/out correctly.
Cruise control poweres on but not setting to hold speed.
Frig not running on propane (rv style not residential) works on AC only.
Drivers side camera not working this was a known problem part on order.

I mentioned the dash air during my initial test drive and the salesman told me it would be fixed and it was not. Also during my walk around the hydralic manifold under the passenger side front headlight had fluid on it [read leaking] and they checked that the lines were tight and sprayed it off with cleaner. Told me someone might have over filled it. Could have something to do with the hydralic slide not working properly.

When I took it back to the dealer the next day I was half expecting some push back since the coach does not have a warranty. What I got was an apology and a loaner car to drive home [Caddy!] full of gas and told not to worry about refuling it. So far Tennessee RV just east of Knoxville has been great to deal with.

All that being the case I did have a chance to drive it through downtown Knoxville TN on I-40/I-75 during rush hour and it did great. Still getting used to taking corners vs my RAM3500/Toy Hauler but once this punch list is cleaned up I think we are really going to be pleased with the coach. Looking forward to a month long trip out west next year before my son goes off to colledge.

Scott
csdavis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 06:04 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by csdavis62 View Post
J

I had to take the uinit back to the dealer, there were several issues which are being addressed.

Dash air was not very cold.
Driver side front slide not going in/out correctly.
Cruise control poweres on but not setting to hold speed.
Frig not running on propane (rv style not residential) works on AC only.
Drivers side camera not working this was a known problem part on order.

I mentioned the dash air during my initial test drive and the salesman told me it would be fixed and it was not. Also during my walk around the hydralic manifold under the passenger side front headlight had fluid on it [read leaking] and they checked that the lines were tight and sprayed it off with cleaner. Told me someone might have over filled it. Could have something to do with the hydralic slide not working properly.

When I took it back to the dealer the next day I was half expecting some push back since the coach does not have a warranty. What I got was an apology and a loaner car to drive home [Caddy!] full of gas and told not to worry about refuling it. So far Tennessee RV just east of Knoxville has been great to deal with.

All that being the case I did have a chance to drive it through downtown Knoxville TN on I-40/I-75 during rush hour and it did great. Still getting used to taking corners vs my RAM3500/Toy Hauler but once this punch list is cleaned up I think we are really going to be pleased with the coach. Looking forward to a month long trip out west next year before my son goes off to colledge.

Scott
We are also working with Tennessee RV and are very interested in how things pan out for you. We had asked to see that coach but heard "someone" had beaten us to it. Glad it's working out for you. Anxious to hear your final verdict.
Jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 07:01 PM   #11
srh
Senior Member
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,302
csdavis62: It looks like Tennessee RV is treating you fairly at this stage. They sound much better than Buddy Gregs - Buyer be ware when you deal with BG!
Hope all goes well with your plans. Safe Travels!

PS: There is a 2007 Phaeton listed at PPL w/ sale pending!
__________________
srh
srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:15 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah View Post
We are also working with Tennessee RV and are very interested in how things pan out for you. We had asked to see that coach but heard "someone" had beaten us to it. Glad it's working out for you. Anxious to hear your final verdict.
So far they have been good will let you know.
csdavis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:28 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin View Post
Be sure to run the generator for some time, loaded with both a/c cooling, and also heating. Check ac's and heat pumps for correct operational levels at the same time.

If you have hydro-hot as an option, check the fluid level in the expansion tank first thing upon arrival. If it's out of range you may have a high $ problem. Then fire up that system, starting with the electric element, check for hot water, then fire up the diesel for a full checkout of the heating system. It takes a while to get warm water on the element alone.


Have a tech check hydraulic pump fluid levels in your presence, and show you where the tanks are: 1 for jacks; 1 for slides on passenger side. You want those serviced correctly when you leave the lot. They may be well hidden!

Be sure to take your Dish or DirectTV receiver along, from home so you can ensure the operation of the Kingdome, which is likely installed. I wouldn't worry so much if there's a Winegard Travler upgrade installed.

If you have a Norcold propane/electric reefer installed, have it run for hours to be sure it is working. Be prepared to get rid of it for a residential model ASAP. We replaced ours because it quit cooling, and mainly because of fire danger.

If you have the dishwasher, be sure to run it a couple full cycles and check for leaks.

We have a 2007 Allegro Bus, bought used in late 2010. We love the Tiffin but have had major expense on hydro-hot, KingDome, Norcold, and dishwasher.

We kept the Bus on the Good Sam Extended Warranty, and I recommend you look at that.

How's the time to catch these issues, do a very thorough acceptance inspection. Get registered with Tiffin so they know you own your rig. The techs in Red Bay, parts and service, are very helpful and only a phone call and VIN number away.

Where are you located?
Just saw the question. .... Knoxville TN
csdavis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
kb9tf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Southern Illinois
Posts: 141
I recently bought a 2008 and had to have the wet bay floor replaced. I thought it looked like a plastic one but it was not. It runs from the wet bay all the way across the bottom to the other side. You need to look at it from the underside and if it is bad you can see it sagging. The other thing was our Norcold fridge quit and found out that it had not had the safety recall done on it. After they did the recall it is working fine again. It would run for about 20 seconds and quit. I guess the high temp cutout switch was opening and shutting down the unit. If that has not had the recall parts put in it could overheat and not shut down and burn up the MH.
__________________

__________________
Ron KB9TF
kb9tf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
problems



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Purchasing a Phaeton 2008 fisch Tiffin Owner's Forum 6 10-15-2015 05:28 PM
Mystery problems ruffian Monaco Owner's Forum 7 09-24-2014 05:17 PM
2011 Phaeton 40' QBH any known problems? rekfish Tiffin Owner's Forum 12 09-15-2014 06:37 PM
Purchasing 2007 Monaco Camelot JRPA iRV2.com General Discussion 3 07-09-2014 06:37 PM
Phaeton 42ft Meurigd Tiffin Owner's Forum 4 02-10-2014 07:28 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×