Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2022, 03:09 AM   #1

Purchasing a used Class A Motor Home

I am new to RVing and to this site. A friend told me about checking this site out. So here I am hoping to get some insight and help before jumping in.

I am in the process of purchasing a lightly used Tiffin 2010 34 tga Allegro.
It has 10,000 miles on it and 450 hours on a 7K generator. Ford V10 motor with three slides. I have looked at this unit 4-5 times and have not seen any evidence of leaks and the roof looks good. Units on the roof all are in good condition as well.

Are there issues with the 2010 I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

John
Noah22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2022, 04:16 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
what's the asking price? Yrs ago i got a used Class A DP. 2000 Itasca. Wasn't bad. ended up replacing tires, (Check DOT date on tires). Gen Rule over 7 yrs replace an doesn't matter if look new or not. Also mine has Basement AC. ended up getting a new one , a yr into owning .
How was it used, lived in or traveled with. -= amt of use .
Old 12-07-2022, 04:49 AM   #3

62,900 lightly used in excellent condition.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:11 AM   #4

This is what I told our neighbor when she asked for our help in finding an RV. She did her homework, and ended up with a nice used RV a a reasonable price.

As a newbie to RV'ing, you need to look long and hard at a lot of RV's to get a grasp on the quality of this unit compared to other units on the market. Go to all kinds of RV lots and look at as many RV's as you can. This will give you a basis of the good, the bad, and the ugly. This unit your are looking at may be a great buy, but it also may not. There are so many hidden problems with RV's, it's difficult to find a clean well performing RV. Terms like "gently used" are designed to make a potential purchaser feel good about the unit at the get go. Your best bet is to find a unit you like, and get an outside inspection done. Yes it will cost you some $$$, but could also save you much more in repair bills later after purchase. Don't let your emotions drive your purchase. Let the facts drive your purchase. If you have a friend who is an experienced RV'er, ask for their help and advice as well.

Good luck.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 07:01 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah22 View Post
....Units on the roof all are in good condition as well.

Are there issues with the 2010 I should be looking for?

John
How was the MH used by the previous owner. Was it a snowbird RV resort queen (hence the low mileage) or privately, locally owned? In either case, as someone else mentioned, if the tires are original, they'll need replacement.

Your profile shows that you're in Florida. I help a guy replace RV air conditioners in Florida. In the last month, we've replaced 9 ACs on RVs that are 2015 or newer. All the Rvs are in a snowbird resort and aren't used in the summer. Florida is rough on air conditioners. You said that the roof units are in "good condition". Did you take the covers off of the ACs and check the coils for corrosion?

One last thing, the 2010 Tiffin is now 13 model years old. It can be very difficult getting a loan on an RV over 10 years old. How do you plan on paying for it? Just something to consider.

Sent from my SM-A515U using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Rockwood27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 09:54 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi John! Welcome to IRV2! Were sure glad you joined the gang here!

Hope the deal works out for you!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 01:40 PM   #7

Run a car fax on it.. get 2 independent inspection.. 1 for coach one for chassis.. get compression test on engine.. save 20% back for repairs and mods .. New tires and all fluids.. I mean all must be flushed.. Do you work on vehicles ? If not.. plan to.. Where would you store it when not in use ?
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 12-07-2022, 06:11 PM   #8

Thank you all for your quick replies and very good feedback. It is not a private sale. It is a local dealer here in Florida. I had a friend get involved to help with all the items y'all suggested inspecting and operating all the appliances and other cooling/heating units. He is an experience MH person and a life long trucker prior to that. Tires are not original. One owner who was/is a snow bird. I'll be on the roof Friday an will check the AC units on pulling the covers to check for any rust, but both AC works great. We'll do additional inspections before moving forward. I enjoyed all your comments and feedback. Thanks so much and I hope continue with communications as I move forward with this new adventure.

John
Old 12-08-2022, 05:33 PM   #9

I do not think $62,900 is a bad price if: the tires are no more than a couple years old, the slides work flawlessly, all the plumbing, heating and cooling systems work without any issues, and there is not visible damage inside or out. It is now a buyers market for RVs and continuing to accelerate in this direction. The dealer knows this. They read the RV industry report research publications. They will not admit it and will give you every reason why this is not the case, but it is! Given what you have presented, and the state of the industry and economy Id take ten grand off their asking price and make that deal.
Old 12-09-2022, 04:50 AM   #10

Thank you so much for your response. It is very helpful. All items you mention work flawlessly. The tires are 7 years. No cracking in excellent condition. That said I am going to make an offer as you suggested and include new tires as part of the offer. As for a buyers market you are the third person to mention that. Again thank you for your opinion it means well to me. I am meeting at 9 this morning with the sales person. We’ll see how it all goes. I may become a 1st timer today.
Old 12-09-2022, 06:50 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah22 View Post
Thank you so much for your response. It is very helpful. All items you mention work flawlessly. The tires are 7 years. No cracking in excellent condition. That said I am going to make an offer as you suggested and include new tires as part of the offer. As for a buyers market you are the third person to mention that. Again thank you for your opinion it means well to me. I am meeting at 9 this morning with the sales person. Well see how it all goes. I may become a 1st timer today.
Good luck. I jumped in head first as well. In fact it sounds like you are doing more research than I did. I've learned a ton from this forum. Not sure where I'd be with this adventure without this forum. Good luck!!!
Part Timers-Looking Fwd to being Anytimers
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 08:14 AM   #12

I am not sure what year they started having issues with the leather cracking/peeling. I bought a 2015 32SA and was lightly used. There was only 1 small spot on the front chair that was just starting to crack. We use the motorhome quite a bit and within a year every chair/couch is now peeling.
PD Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 04:43 PM   #13

We purchased a used 2011 Open Road TGA, we did have to reupholster the couch and captain chairs. I also replaced a water pump and hydraulic pump. No other issues .
SuperDuty12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 12:19 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Don't forget batteries...

In addition to tires, you will probably have to replace the batteries too. I recently upgraded to Lifeline AGMs.

Good Luck, Jerry

Tags
class a, motor, motor home