Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to SDPilot
Pure sine wave inverter question

My new 33AA came with a 2000 watt modified sine wave inverter. I would like to swap it out for a pure sine wave model. Is there a down side to going to the 2800 watt model? Will it draw more power then the smaller one when using the same appliances?

Mechanics I understand. Electronics, not so much.

Thanks,
Charles
2014 Allegro Red 33AA
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #2

There are differences in efficiency of conversion from 12V to 120V between pure and modified Square wave inverters and there are differences in quiescent (standby) current but it isn't going to be huge one way or another so within a few percent, a given largish appliance is going to draw the same current out of the batteries regardless of the inverter.

That said, since it is the total draw per day that is important, if the inverter is on 24/7 but isn't in use for a large load more than a few minutes each day then the difference in standby current can add up to quite a few amp-hours each day. This difference can also apply where the appliance is a very small load and is on 24/7 such as a non-operating microwave or clock.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks, Tony, for the response. Forgot to mention, we also have a residential fridge, which probably draws some power all the time.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:57 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why do you want to go to a sine wave inverter? If for wanting to power TV and other AV equipment, then suggest to consider to install one or more small point if use inverters. More efficient.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:08 PM   #5

We ditched the Not-So-Cold and had the Samsung 197 RR installed and at the same time had the Magnum 2812 inverter and new control panel installed just because things run better on PSW plus it is on all the time. I will be installing an auto gen-set start if the batteries get to low.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:01 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is what I used to think: MSW inverters were more efficient than TSW inverters.

This is what I found when I finally got the old Round Tuit and did the research.

I compared two different XANTREX models, one was a 1.5KW True sine, with a peak efficiency of 89-90 percent
The other was a 1.5KW MSW with a peak efficiency of 90 percent.

So, running the same appliances.. Odds are the draw will be identical.
YOU may, however, wish to upgrade the 12 volt wires a bit.. Just to play safe.. My prosine, shortly after install by Camping world, lost it's mind (The display said "Prosine Memory Error") Xantrex recommended taping the two power (Positive and negative) wires side by side to reduce inductive "kick" when the thing starts up.. I also upgraded the cable a size or 2.. The result is the replacement has lasted 8 years and the only problem I've had with it was when the batteries died of old age.. (Technically NOT an inverter problem). Replacement batteries fixed that of course. Other than the OFF switch, and later the ON switch, never touched the inverter.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:24 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
An often overlooked difference between Modified and True SW Inverters is some products will not operate on MSW. Before I learned that lesson I cooked 3 heating pads my DW uses and one heating blanket. Found that some small appliances didn't work. The microwave worked but it sounded really bad when operated on the MSW.

The beauty of the True Sine Wave inverters is they will run anything as long as you don't exceed its capacity.

Go for it! But unless you need a larger inverter I would consider staying with the same size.

Dan Leininger
Old 04-24-2014, 11:12 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think it would be worth it. If you use the microwave on inverter it will actually probably save battery as it will cook faster. I would also go for the 2800 watt inverter to give you an extra margin in capacity. It will just be an over all better solution. You should be able to sell your MSW inverter easily.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:28 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We had to change our 2000W Magnum inverter because it "went south". We changed it for a true sine version and stuck with the 2000W replacement because the 2000W has got a "built-in" breaker. Anything bigger would appear to require a breaker outside the unit, and this need to be added.

I am like you: Mechanics is easier to understand that electrics, but I am learning as I go along

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
My two cents worth about MSW and PSW inverters is that if ALL of the stuff you plan to run off of the MSW inverter works properly without burning up then there is no reason to spend the money to switch.

However, if there is one device that absolutely needs a PSW inverter than do it.

If not then the money is better spent on installing additional batteries that will provide you with more AH's the inverter would use to run your devices.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I thought my inverter had gone bad and was going to have to get a new one ( found a broken input wire) The difference between a xantrex 2500 watt modified sine wave and a 3000 watt pure sine wave is only 150.00 not really much of a decision.

What I worry about going from a 2000 watt to a 2800 watt is the output circuit breakers. I do not know the brand you are talking about so I will use my experience doing research on a xantrex. The 2000 watt has 15 amp breakers. The 3000 watt xantrex ( xantrex does not sell a 2800 watt psw) has 30 amp breakers. The wiring in my 2005 allegro bus is 14 gauge which is not made to handle 30 amps. You are now getting into the area of having a bigger circuit breaker than wiring capacity. I was going to deal with that by putting in a small breaker box and running the output from the inverter wire to the coach through 20 amp breakers but having the extra capacity if I needed it from the inverter. There might also be a problem with the input when you are using shore power. Xantrex 2500 watt and larger inverters are dual in dual out. This means on you have 2 separate input legs and two separate output legs on your inverter. I assume two separate legs means one leg from each side of the 50 amp shore power cable. 2000 watt inverters are only single leg in double out. The entire input to the inverter is only going through one leg.

As far as pure sine wave verus modified sine wave. With the small difference in price that you have currently it is foolish to buy MSW unless you really have to worry about pennies.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:08 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
My two cents worth about MSW and PSW inverters is that if ALL of the stuff you plan to run off of the MSW inverter works properly without burning up then there is no reason to spend the money to switch.
Well Richard... All the stuff you have TODAY.. But what about tomorrow.. One forum member in one of the forums I frequent purchased a night light.. Yes, a night light.. Worked fine on shore power.. On MSW inverter power... FLAME ON. It caught fire.

Or the heating pad you buy for that tired muscle (Boy do I have those today) Someone in this thread commented on that.

Or perhaps you wish to listen to an AM radio.

Or perhaps you are parked next to me and I do use an AM radio.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:23 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks to all that replied to my question. I think I will check the wiring size and breaker size, and if they are all compatible with the 2800 Magnum Pure Sine Wave, I will go with that. If not, I will get the 2000 watt version.

And I learned a lot from your answers.

Charles
Old 05-07-2014, 02:16 AM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I replaced my old Freedom 2000 W MSW inverter with the new Magnum 2800 W PSW. I was amazed at how much better the entire electrical system worked in our coach, and how much less power was being demanded of the batteries.

Obviously PSW is much more efficient than MSW!

So. Based on my experience, I think you can't go wrong making the move to the Magnum 2800 PSW inverter.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter