Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2021, 04:21 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Pusher runs cool

I'm driving from San Diego to Georgia in a 2013 Phaeton 40 QBH Been on the road for a week going thru the desert, using my dash AC while driving. Today, while driving from Grants, NM to Santa Rosa, NM, it was cold so I turned on my heater and noticed it was not getting very hot. Later, I noticed the temp gauge was not on the middle line like it usually is, but is on the next line down toward cold. Its not in the blue area, but on the line between the blue area and the middle line. I have no idea what these lines mean. I also don't know how long its been running this way.

Is this something I need to be concerned about, and if so, what should I do about it?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2021, 04:30 PM   #2

What were the outside temps and were you going mostly level or mostly down hill or mostly climbing. All those things would affect temps, though generally the thermostat in the cooling system controls the fluid temps to make it reach operating temps unless dealing with extra cold temps and mostly down hill...

Next time you stop get one of those infrared temp readers at any place that carries variety of tools. Those come in handy to check component temps and even spot check temps inside the rig to find cold spots or hot spots are the case might be!
Old 05-12-2021, 04:31 PM   #3

Rare but perhaps the previous owner or your last coolant service center omitted the thermostat as in a thermostat delete.
Old 05-12-2021, 04:41 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
[QUOTE=Diesel-Lover;5749095]What were the outside temps and were you going mostly level or mostly down hill or mostly climbing. All those things would affect temps, though generally the thermostat in the cooling system controls the fluid temps to make it reach operating temps unless dealing with extra cold temps and mostly down hill...

Outside temps in the 50's with fog part of the time. Terrain was mostly up and down hills, but going down about 2000 ft in elevation overall, running at 63 mph on cruise control towing my CRV.
Old 05-12-2021, 05:01 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I'd guess that either the thermostat has been removed or that it is stuck open.
But there is an assumption that the gauge is right. As suggested above, get one of the non-contact thermometers and check the temp on the engine itself - especially going in and out of the radiator.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:11 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Well, I've had this rig for nearly 3 years now and never noticed the heat gauge showing cool, so I guess the thermostat is stuck open. I'll take it to an RV center and have it checked. Thanks for your replies.
Old 05-12-2021, 08:14 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronik145 View Post
Well, I've had this rig for nearly 3 years now and never noticed the heat gauge showing cool, so I guess the thermostat is stuck open. I'll take it to an RV center and have it checked. Thanks for your replies.
Thatís my guess as well fwiw.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:09 PM   #8

One of the optional displays on your LBCU is coolant temp. I would display that so that I could read the temp to the nearest degree. Also, you can test the accuracy of your temp gauge with a test that is also a function of the LBCU.
Old 05-13-2021, 06:35 AM   #9

Harbor freight has two classes of that touchless infrared thermometer, get the higher range measure capable one. It will come in handy in many places.

When the rig is running measure the temp incoming to the radiator as well as out going that would tell you where the thermostat is set if at all. similarly you could also check the temp of water going into the heat exchanger for the dash heat going in and coming out vs radiator for another data point. Logically the engine temp sensor should be on the engine and radiator circuit and not on one of the ancillary circuits.

There is a shut-off for coolant going to the front heat exchanger perhaps its partially off or some such. Our had a ballcock on that branch so that it could be shut down from the circuit for use of the diesel fired heater to heat the rest of the coach, we further had a shut off that only circulated the block so that only it could be heated before wheels up from a cold park without an electrical connection. Those diesel heaters are available in water heat or air heat and are great to augment the systems specially when mobile and wanting to conserve the propane given that we have lots of diesel on hand and its more heat per gallon than propane.

Not to be outdone I have seen units with wood or pellet stoves in their units.. great ambiance but generally in motion its a tough situation with those, though it can be done with some art and science!
Old 05-13-2021, 07:29 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Itís either the thermostat or the fan is stuck in high. When you stand outside can you heard the fan?
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 09:46 PM   #11

If the fan clutch fails it puts the fan on high all the time - the previous response regarding checking to see if the fan is on high while you were outside of the motorhome on an initial start would be your first clue that you may have a fan clutch problem
azcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:21 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
The second symptom you can notice is the fan clutch should start out on high when you first crank the engine. After a short time, it should slow down to low speed so it's not as noisy. I've had two fan clutches fail and the symptoms are the same, the fan never slows down and the temperatures run cool all the time. You might want to invest in a ScangaugeD to be able to monitor the temps all the time.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:10 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Thank you for mentioning the LBCU. I'd never heard of that before (there's a lot I have to learn about this RV), so I looked it up. So much info that I never knew I had access to. Thanks!
Old 05-14-2021, 08:14 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks to all of you for your replies. I've learned so much about my rig just from the things you've written, and that's invaluable. I'm on my way to Amarillo today, and there's a Cummins place there that's close to my campground, so I plan to stop there if the problem persists during my drive today. Because of all your replies, I have a better understanding of the possible issues that's causing this problem.