Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #1

Questions re: 06 Allegro Bus 40PDQ

We are considering a 2006 Alegro Bus 40PDQ. 400hsp Cummins.. has a Freightliner chassis. I am really trying to do my homework and research this rig as much as possible.
Does anyone know the model number or name of the chassis that Tiffen was putting in the 2006 Alegro Bus 40PDQ ? I studied the Tiffen brochure for this coach and all it says is Freightliner... I was told by the salesman that it is the same as a Spartan.. But i am asking him for the manuf model name/number but meanwhile ...until i can find out from him...can anyone give me pros and cons on this chassis please? What the model name or number might be etc please?
Does anyone know of any recalls on this Rig? Especially the chassis? Or where to go online to look for recalls?
Is there Anyone out there who currently owns this specific rig or had one that would be willing to give me their opinions on this rig please? Any thoughts on the pros and cons of Independant Front Suspension? Does a rig with it handle
better..ride smoother etc than one without If the rig doesnt have it should at be a deal breaker. I realize there are a lot of questions here and i want thank everyone ahead of time who helps me out here with the benefit of their experience and knowledge! Any input is very much appreciated!
Pusherdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #2

You need to go here and register and ask. When I was looking and thinking about a Tiffin I registered and asked a lot of questions. Big problem on some was the roof rail, wet bay, and leak in the left front slide, but they all have there problems.
A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork • Login
or here
A Part of the TiffinRVNetwork • Index page
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #3

Questions 2006 Alegro Bus 40QDP

The rig we are considering is a 2006 Alegro Bus 40 QDP 400 hsp Cummins
Does this engine require the use of DEF?
And has what is called a...SMART WHEEL... REFERING TO THE STEERING WHEEL... Can anyone please tell us what a smart wheel is ?
It also has side view cameras..operated with the turn signals. Are these easy to use and of much benefit?
It has a solid dining room table that doesnt have a support to the floor under it..salesman says it is mtd on a steel slide mech that is strng and extends with a leaf. Anyone had experience with one to know if they are strong and hold up well?

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of IFS?
All comments and help is very much appreciated!
Old 11-23-2013, 10:40 PM   #4

Pusherdiva There is a section in RV Forem at top of page for all different chassis. they may be helpful
Larry Ogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:24 AM   #5

Thanks Larry and 2 Stroker ! Appreciate your help and input very much.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:01 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No DEF. Smart wheel is the steering with the wiper controls on it and I believe the cruise control also. They just call it a smart wheel.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
If you live in the eastern US I would opt for the Freightliner chassis. The factory service center in Gaffney, SC is absolutely the best service facility I have ever experienced, conveniently located. Service after the sale means a lot.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherdiva View Post
We are considering a 2006 Alegro Bus 40PDQ. 400hsp Cummins.. has a Freightliner chassis. I am really trying to do my homework and research this rig as much as possible.
Does anyone know the model number or name of the chassis that Tiffen was putting in the 2006 Alegro Bus 40PDQ ? I studied the Tiffen brochure for this coach and all it says is Freightliner... I was told by the salesman that it is the same as a Spartan.. But i am asking him for the manuf model name/number but meanwhile ...until i can find out from him...can anyone give me pros and cons on this chassis please? What the model name or number might be etc please?
Does anyone know of any recalls on this Rig? Especially the chassis? Or where to go online to look for recalls?
Is there Anyone out there who currently owns this specific rig or had one that would be willing to give me their opinions on this rig please? Any thoughts on the pros and cons of Independant Front Suspension? Does a rig with it handle
better..ride smoother etc than one without If the rig doesnt have it should at be a deal breaker. I realize there are a lot of questions here and i want thank everyone ahead of time who helps me out here with the benefit of their experience and knowledge! Any input is very much appreciated!
Go to Freightlinerchassis.com click on see rv chassis then click on built on freightliner. Go to Tiffin (not Tiffen) then previous model. Pick 38 and 40 Allegro Bus 2006. That should give you all the info you are looking for. You will have to look under the front end to see if it has independent front suspension. They came both ways.
Shadow0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan and freightliner chasis are not the same from what I am told. Freightliner uses 4 air bags for the suspension I believ that spartan uses 6. Some people say spartan has a better feel for the road. I drove one and I did not like it. the suspension might have a better feel for the road but had to nursemaid it. The freightliner you just kind of pointed and sat back. there are fans of both chassis types. Like chevy and ford everyone has their favorite. Drive both and see which one you like.

If you are looking at one particular unit look on the wall behind the drivers seat there will be a metal plaque it will have the chasis serial number on it. You can get that serial number and look up any information on it.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:40 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Smart wheel has light dimming, cruise control, wipers all on the steering wheel easy to reach. You really want a smart wheel it is a very good thing.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:53 AM   #11

We have an 05 model which we have been living in for 5 years now and love it. Our only regret is we didn't get an 06. The differences are this. Computer pull out tray in front of the passenger's seat. A full drawer pull out as part of the kitchen setup. The big thing is the side opening bay doors. 06 was the year they went to them and that makes all the difference in the world. The older we get the harder it is to crawl under the bay doors and get your stuff. There are three weak points on the unit. The radius rails between the roof and side cracking, the wet bay floor rotting, and the floor under the drivers side slide rotting. With an 06, the roof radius rails are still made of aluminum so they are ok. They are still warrantying the wet bay floors (we had ours replaced last year at no charge, and the slide floor, which will run about $2000 to replace. We had ours done (it needed it) and as we had an 05 it was not covered any more, but after they finished the job, (this is at the Tiffin factory in Red Bay Alabama) they reduced my charge to $1400. They did a great job, and now everything is in great shape. I would be hard pressed to buy a new bus that has any more function. Prettier maybe, but this one does all the things the new ones do. I did replace my TV's, 46" Samsung in front and my surround sound, but the unit drives great, and has the two stage Jake (compression) brake which really helps on the rocky mountain grades. Good luck and hope you get a deal. Steve
steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #12

Great Info!

Thanks so much to everyone for the great help! Really appreciate it!