Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2020, 03:48 PM   #1

Radio has no power

2018 Allegro 36la. Today powered on the radio. Set up navigation, worked for about 10 minutes then the screen went black. Turned it off then back on, worked for about 5 minutes then went dark, no sound or anything. Now when trying to turn it on, nothing happens, no response at all. Ideas?
Oceans29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2020, 04:05 PM   #2

Hi Oceans29; Well, that's not good. Most of the radios have an inline fuse in the power wire on the harness that plugs into the back of the radio. Some even have a fuse in the 12V fuse center for the coach. The fact that it came on and went off and then came back on and now nothing does not sound to good in my book. Could be a failure inside the radio itself, but only guessing on that. You do have other 12V power in the coach, correct! Also do you know if your radio is powered by the house or chassis batteries as this might be a place to start to look if something else is not powered up. These are just some guesses on my part and I hope this gives you some more places to look. Good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 04:48 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Checked connections and fuse but could not find any issues. I will check into the batteries, but I think everything is fine.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:22 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Fixed?

so what was the outcome? Replies help others.

TIA

snickers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:13 AM   #5

Finally found out there is a bad connection where the wiring harness plugs into the back of the radio. Harness has plugs on both ends. Can not find a replacement yet. Ordered a Garmin lmt rv 770 to replace it. Not sure right now where or how to fix. Scheduled to be in Red Bay beginning of September.
Old 06-26-2020, 05:13 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceans29 View Post
Finally found out there is a bad connection where the wiring harness plugs into the back of the radio. Harness has plugs on both ends. Can not find a replacement yet. Ordered a Garmin lmt rv 770 to replace it. Not sure right now where or how to fix. Scheduled to be in Red Bay beginning of September.
My 2018 Open Road 36la is currently in the shop for the same exact problem. Service writer says he spoke to both Tiffin and Kenwood. Both suggested a new wiring harness and wondered whether the device gets too hot....Still not sure what they are going to do and how long they are going to take to do it......We bought our coach new (ugh...what I have learned since!) in Feb 2019. The radio went out in Feb 2020 on a long voyage.

Also, a ? for you, do you notice that the Kenwood is tied into the Chassis battery and that after a week or more being idle, the device has to initialize each time you turn it on resulting in you having lost all of your preset radio stations..... I don't understand that????? Any thoughts from the peanut gallery? Trickle Charger?
Reyfeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 11:35 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyfeo View Post
My 2018 Open Road 36la is currently in the shop for the same exact problem. Service writer says he spoke to both Tiffin and Kenwood. Both suggested a new wiring harness and wondered whether the device gets too hot....Still not sure what they are going to do and how long they are going to take to do it......We bought our coach new (ugh...what I have learned since!) in Feb 2019. The radio went out in Feb 2020 on a long voyage.

Also, a ? for you, do you notice that the Kenwood is tied into the Chassis battery and that after a week or more being idle, the device has to initialize each time you turn it on resulting in you having lost all of your preset radio stations..... I don't understand that????? Any thoughts from the peanut gallery? Trickle Charger?
I take it you turn off your chassis batteries. Do you have it plugged into shore power when parked? If so, the batteries should be being charged.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:47 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
I take it you turn off your chassis batteries. Do you have it plugged into shore power when parked? If so, the batteries should be being charged.
Thanks for the reply....Unless I'm mistaken, the Allegro Open Road 36la gas pusher does not have a chassis battery cut-off switch. I have rented a covered bay with 110 power which is on a timer to charge for two hours a day....... Only have had the coach since last March so if there is a chassis cutoff, I've never used it.
Old 06-27-2020, 09:15 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyfeo View Post
Thanks for the reply....Unless I'm mistaken, the Allegro Open Road 36la gas pusher does not have a chassis battery cut-off switch. I have rented a covered bay with 110 power which is on a timer to charge for two hours a day....... Only have had the coach since last March so if there is a chassis cutoff, I've never used it.
Maybe I’m mistaken but doesn’t your Mh have an inverter/ charger.? I just leave the Mh plugged in 24/7 and the inverter keeps the batteries charged.
Does your Mh have the Spyder system?
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:16 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the reply.....Yes, the Open Road has an inverter/converter but I thought it only inverts to send power to the 110 receptacles and other systems and converts shore power to charge the house batteries. I'm still on the steep learning curve!!!! I didn't think it had any connection to provide power to the Chassis batteries.
As for Spyder control, I do not think so....I have flat black panels...small ones in the bathrooms and a larger one in the bedroom that can control various devices by switching between different screens..... None of those panels has any kind of logo indicating Spyder!
Old 06-27-2020, 06:32 PM   #11

Going through the exact same thing with my DNX571TR now also. Started cutting in and out on a trip through SC. Checked all the connections, fuse, etc., and touching the harness on the back recreates the problem. Now it has no connection at all.

I am not surprised, the factory installer at Tiffin fastened the main wiring harness so tight to the bottom of the dash it has been pulling hard right on the radio wiring harness and on the back of the radio since day 1. I don't think its a Kenwood issue.

It was only a matter of time.

Sorting it out myself right now.

Paul
StaRVGazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:31 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Let us know what you figure out, Thanks.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:41 PM   #13

Here's what I have so far:

I removed the top dash access panel and pulled the wiring harness plug from the radio, sprayed CRC electronic cleaner on the plug (harness end) and the radio socket as well. I also relieved some of the stress from the harness by moving the zip tie locations. Plugged it back in and it came back to life.

This narrows down the issue to either the Tiffin x Kenwood harness or the plug socket on the Kenwood. This at least allows more trouble-shooting if needed. I don't think it is the plug on the Tiffin end of the harness.

I jiggled all the wires and couldn't recreate the problem. I went on a 20mi round trip road test on various roads and the turnpike. No cut outs although I did manage to disconnect the right turn camera line connector in the process.

If it happens again and its the harness connector at the radio I will reach out to Tiffin to see if they can fabricate a longer Tiffin x Kenwood harness for me. If not, I found plenty of connectors for my radio online from Ebay, Amazon, and Kenwood direct ranging from $9 to $15. Here is an example:

https://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-Harne.../dp/B079QMQ7NK

I could get one and splice into the Tiffin x Kenwood harness using crimp-on connectors and make it longer.

I seem to recall that someone on this forum did a nice post on this.

If you want to take a shot at this yourself here is some info.

Top access panel:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1062.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	291296

Remove access panel, it is attached with velcro:

Name:	IMG_1063.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	291291

The big white plug is the Tiffin end of the Tiffin x Kenwood wiring harness (right center), the black plug left of center connected to the radio is the Kenwood end of the harness.

Name:	IMG_1064.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	291292

Close up of the harness plug at the radio looking down from the top. The black one with the multicolored wiring. The push-release tab for the plug is underneath on the bottom of the plug. Not seen in this photo:

Name:	IMG_1065.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	291297

Grasp the Kenwood plug from top and bottom, make sure to press the release on the bottom, rock side to side and pull out.

Name:	IMG_1066.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	291298

Either clean as I did or try re-inserting to check the connection. If you have a digital voltmeter you can check for power and ground at the kenwood (black) plug. The 12V power and 12V ground are clearly tabbed on the wires on the Tiffin side of the Tiffin connector to allow tracing the line. Note also that immediately next to the Kenwood plug socket is the bayonet fuse socket and fuse mounted to the back of the radio......just in case you are getting power to the plug but no radio you can check the fuse. Heads up, you'll need a mirror and a fuse puller.

Paul
Old 07-08-2020, 10:52 AM   #14

Happy to report that after the above post I put another 100 or so miles on it and no radio cut out yet. Some bumpy roads, a few bridge transitions, but nothing extreme.

Paul

Tags
no power, power, radio