Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2015, 10:40 AM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Rails and slide floor repair question

We are buying a 2012 Allegro Bus QGP. If the rails or slides do need to be replaced at Red Bay will there be any additional issues as a result of this work?
Rattles, leaks, any information would be appreciated. I will call Red Bay and check the vin number tomorrow to see if our new bus is affected.
Bowiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2015, 10:45 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowiesmom View Post
We are buying a 2012 Allegro Bus QGP. If the rails or slides do need to be replaced at Red Bay will there be any additional issues as a result of this work?
Rattles, leaks, any information would be appreciated. I will call Red Bay and check the vin number tomorrow to see if our new bus is affected.
I have not heard of any problems after the repairs are completed. If your coach was built after 3/1/12 it's unlikely to need any of the modifications.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowiesmom View Post
Any 2012 should already have the latest slide design and wet bay. After March 2012 will have the latest roof material. I think that they actually used 3 different roofs in 2012.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:28 AM   #4

Regarding the roof rail replacement . The method that was used at one time involved driving wood wedges under the roof edges after cutting the radius rails off. In some cases later on the roof developed cracks which necessitated a trip back to Red Bay for a total roof over replacement. Many discussions on TRVN owners forum which you might go to and search or discussions.
Agree that the 2012 you are considering MIGHT be OK but might NOT !

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #5

We are looking at a 2011 Tiffin Open Road 32BA.
After hearing of the roof problems and the slide and wet bay floor problem, we are having doubts.
Are these problems going to happen with all the coaches before 2012?
Is it possible that roof might be okay?
If it is not possible to take it to the factory for repairs, what would be the cost involved to do the repair?

So, what are the signs to look for on the 1. Roof 2. Slide floor. 3. Wet bay floor?
Appreciate any input or suggestions.
Thanks, Iver.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topman View Post
We are looking at a 2011 Tiffin Open Road 32BA.
After hearing of the roof problems and the slide and wet bay floor problem, we are having doubts.
Are these problems going to happen with all the coaches before 2012?
Is it possible that roof might be okay?
If it is not possible to take it to the factory for repairs, what would be the cost involved to do the repair?

So, what are the signs to look for on the 1. Roof 2. Slide floor. 3. Wet bay floor?
Appreciate any input or suggestions.
Thanks, Iver.
Will all 2007s have these issue's?
RVBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:07 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you are buying a used coach, call Tiffin with the VIN # and see if the repairs have been made. I believe the years for these issues are 2008 to 2012 although the wet bay may go back a bit further. Tiffin Service can tell you if you are covered for repairs or not.

Here's your check list:

Wet bay floor - if you have a plastic wet bay and wet bay floor, nothing to worry about. If the bottom of your wet bay is wood, look under the coach for sagging or soft spots. Use an awl or screw driver to probe for soft wood.

Front slide floor (driver's side) - look under the slide. If it is plywood, look for soft spots in the front corner. Test with awl or screwdriver for soft spots. If it is metal, it was either built that way or the repair has been completed.

Roof rails - if your coach was built after May 2012, you will have the latest resin formulation. 2012 coaches may also have the gen 2 resin which may or may not exhibit problems and will need to be inspected. Even coaches prior to this with the gen 1 resin, may or may not exhibit problems. Roof rails with problems will have very fine vertical scratches (like cat scratches) in the rails.

These repairs have a limited life span that Tiffin will do the work at no charge. If you have any of these problems you should call Tiffin Service and discuss with them. At the very least, you will get the repair required noted on your VIN number and it can be repaired when you get to Red Bay or another location that can do the repair.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:11 PM   #8

Thanks for the information:

On our 2011 Allegro Bus the slide out floor appears to be a white - almost vinyl like material. Does not feel like plywood - is the plywood in question? Would it look like plywood on the non-upgraded units?

I got an e-mail from Tiffin validating the 6 yr warranty on the three issues you mention - But, we have not seen any evidence of the roof rail scratches/cracks. Do you know if this is an issue with all Allegro Bus's - or just a "lucky" group? I have a call into Tiffin to see if they suggest the upgrade on units that do not show the problem - do you have any inside info on what they may come back with. We have over 18 Months to get it done - so no real time crunch at the moment.
tkilpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:51 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBuddy View Post
Will all 2007s have these issue's?
I checked out our new to me 2007 Phaetan 40QSH and happy to report it has the metal rails and no cracks. The wet bay is plastic so no rut. All slides are in excellent shape no warp or rot .
RVBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 08:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBuddy View Post
I checked out our new to me 2007 Phaetan 40QSH and happy to report it has the metal rails and no cracks. The wet bay is plastic so no rut. All slides are in excellent shape no warp or rot .
I am a real newbe - How can you tell that it had metal rails?
tkilpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:57 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
By sound. Just tap with a screw driver and you can tell if it is metal or fiberglass. The big three, roof/cap rails, wet bay and drivers big slide floor generally affect 2008 thru early 2012 builds. My recommendation is that when the warranty period gets close, even if you don't see a problem, take it to Red Bay for a check and replacement. Since many know of the problems I think you would have a harder time trading or selling it.

I knew I had the roof rail problem but my own checks didn't show the wet bay. When we took it in they checked and a more rotten wet bay would be hard to find. Could out you have to crawl under to the middle to really hit the rot. Anyway we checked out on the DS slide floor but failed the others.

Tiffin will only replace for free during the warranty period so watch that. This affects all models I understand.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 06:58 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The wet bay floor in our 2006 Phaeton was changed twice. 1st in 2010 with the same material. which failed and 2012 with the new composite floor system. The 1st change out took 3½ days with the crew removing "everything" in the wet bay and re-plumbing the entire bay. The 2nd time was less than 3 hours from start to finish. Our wet bay floor failure appeared to be a cracked nut on the shower drain which was found in 2012.
Teacher's Pet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, slide