RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2019, 05:06 PM   #1

Rear AC

Just recieved my 2019 Olegero Open Road. In talking to several dealerships about upgrading from a 13K AC to a 15K AC all said it was unnecessary. My front unit blows and cools well and when running the bedroom AC there is very little comming out of the duct. If I just run the bedroom AC i can feel a little coming out of the front vents. Any advice would be appreciated.

Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2019, 05:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
Just recieved my 2019 Olegero Open Road. In talking to several dealerships about upgrading from a 13K AC to a 15K AC all said it was unnecessary. My front unit blows and cools well and when running the bedroom AC there is very little comming out of the duct. If I just run the bedroom AC i can feel a little coming out of the front vents. Any advice would be appreciated.
I have a 2018 - 36la. I ordered it with front and rear 15k btu heat pump ac. Glad i did. When really hot out, two 15k are better. Also, during the day i set the rear to be primary to keep noise down in front. At night i turn the rear ac off and just use the front. Much less noise in bedroom so easier to sleep. Only downside is you need to be cognizent of amps being used if on generator (not an issue when plugged in). If you leave the battery charger set to use 30 amps and are heavily charging or using microwave, toaster, or some coffee makers and both ac units you can pop the gerator breaker for one side of the service as total draw will exceed generator capacity. This is important if you leave a pet behind and rely on the AGS.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:24 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
We are getting ready to order a 34pa and its surprising to me that the 13k is in the rear and there is no upgrade. My current rig has 15.5k both front and rear. It makes me nervous. I've heard of folks with cooling issues in these.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:55 AM   #4

Rear AC

We have a 2015 32SA and have always had problems with the AC's cooling. It is hard to keep the coach below 80 when it is hot. When it is really hot out we keep the dark out and solar shades down. The front AC does not cool the coach very well, the rear seems to push it out better, then I have the ceiling fan on to help blow the cooler air up front. It's livable but definitely not the best cooling system we have had in other units. We have had it looked at and were told that it is normal for these to only cool down about 10 degrees from outside temps.
julie pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderson2228 View Post
We are getting ready to order a 34pa and its surprising to me that the 13k is in the rear and there is no upgrade. My current rig has 15.5k both front and rear. It makes me nervous. I've heard of folks with cooling issues in these.
You can special order two 15k btu heat pump ac. It is an "off price sheet" upgrade. The upcharge for the 2nd 15k heat pump is the same as the first one - about $500 list last year. Talk to your dealer or call Tiffin (Danny Ingram I believe).
Old 06-20-2019, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis123 View Post
I was running one AC at a time on 110. I plugged into the 50 amp service and everything is fine. 93 degrees outside temp, sitting totally in the sun and after an hour with both units running and set on 70 the inside temp is 70 and the compressors kicked off for about 15 minutes and then kicked back in
Turned them down to 68 and at 68 inside i had the same results. Very happy with the results on 50 amp.
Dennis123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:24 PM   #7

I've never had much of a problem with the 15 and 13 setup. Sometimes
i've needed to run the fans on high. If you can get a 15 in the rear, it's probably a good idea. Dave
allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:43 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I have a 2018 34 PA, live in Arizona. Mostly a bit disapointed with rear AC cooling. Works well in cooler weather but even in the local mountains where it is cooler, the rear compressor never cuts out. Eventually I turn it to fan only and if its too warm I close some of the front vents to push more of the front air to the rear vents. At some time I'd be looking for a better unit for the rear. Certainly interested in any solutions posted here.
LouLacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:45 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouLacher View Post
I have a 2018 34 PA, live in Arizona. Mostly a bit disapointed with rear AC cooling. Works well in cooler weather but even in the local mountains where it is cooler, the rear compressor never cuts out. Eventually I turn it to fan only and if its too warm I close some of the front vents to push more of the front air to the rear vents. At some time I'd be looking for a better unit for the rear. Certainly interested in any solutions posted here.
This probably isn't the rear compressor its the spider wire panel firmware. You are probably running version 2 and need version 5. Call the spyder wire folks and they have a guy there i forget his name that has helped with this, he is one of the engineers and he can send you the new card and help you update it. It's not a big deal to update it.
Old 06-28-2019, 08:20 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I'm going to try to answer all your questions in one post.

In Open Roads, the rear A/C unit is rated at 13.5K BTU. If you custom order your Open Road, you can request that the rear unit be upgraded to a 15.5K BTU heat pump. Buying off the lot - you can discuss with your dealer the cost of upgrading to a 15.5k BTU unit with heat pump - probably will cost you around $1500 to have done. In most of the country, the 2000 BTUs of extra cooling probably isn't worth the cost but here in the Southwest, it might be.

Open Roads, in general in the A/C mode, do better controlling the temperature if you turn both units fan to On and set the temperature somewhere in the mid-70s. Since there is a common air duct between the units, this helps equalize the temperature throughout the coach. Try it, you might be surprised.

A major area of heat gain in all motorhomes are the windows. So awnings out, shades down, use of Reflectex on selected windows and so on will help keep you cooler.

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote