Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2019, 05:49 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Rear Jack need help retracting

2000 Allegro Bus on Freightliner XC with HWH Jacks. Over a two yer period the left rear jack started partial retracting., A little help with a pry bar would get it up. Over time it would not retract at all without help. I replaced the springs and that worked for a few trips now back to not retracing with out help. Now the right rear jack has started the same symptoms. I have used WD 40 as well at other lubs with no improvement. Reading a trouble shooting piece I see there are valves that can be a problem. Looking for others that have had this problem and possible fixes.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2019, 07:14 PM   #2

We had a similar problem a year ago. Our jack retraction would definitely improve right after I did the WD-40 wipe down, but would go back to it's slow or "no" way after a few days of activity. This told me it was definitely the cylinder. I took it to Tiffin Red Bay and they replaced the jack. I watched the replacement and asked them for the old part (jack cylinder). They were happy to give it to me and when I got home I took it to a local hydraulic shop. They replaced the seal and a few other parts for a bit over $100 and I now have a first class spare. We use the jacks a lot (over 105,000 mi on the rig) so this is a big deal. I got a lesson on how to change them and a good spare. Worth the Tiffin cost for the new cylinder.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:21 PM   #3

Same problem on my 2007 Dynamax. I found that if I exercised them often they worked but, if I left them extended for a month or so good luck. I also cleaned and lubed the rod ends often. I always traveled with a pry bar just in case.
bhammond1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:32 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Go online and download the HWH troubleshooting manual for the model unit that you have. It is an excellent publication and a must have if you are using the HWH products.

Just guessing...but I think it will have you locate the solenoid cluster, there are 4 solenoids, one unit for each jack. It will probably have you open the solenoid and determine if the jack will fully retract. If so, the cylinder is probably OK and the springs are OK. The issue might be a solenoid that is not opening fully to allow the fluid to return to the holding tank.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:06 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbiker45 View Post
Go online and download the HWH troubleshooting manual for the model unit that you have. It is an excellent publication and a must have if you are using the HWH products.

Just guessing...but I think it will have you locate the solenoid cluster, there are 4 solenoids, one unit for each jack. It will probably have you open the solenoid and determine if the jack will fully retract. If so, the cylinder is probably OK and the springs are OK. The issue might be a solenoid that is not opening fully to allow the fluid to return to the holding tank.
Thanks Richard
Old 08-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
We had a similar problem a year ago. Our jack retraction would definitely improve right after I did the WD-40 wipe down, but would go back to it's slow or "no" way after a few days of activity. This told me it was definitely the cylinder. I took it to Tiffin Red Bay and they replaced the jack. I watched the replacement and asked them for the old part (jack cylinder). They were happy to give it to me and when I got home I took it to a local hydraulic shop. They replaced the seal and a few other parts for a bit over $100 and I now have a first class spare. We use the jacks a lot (over 105,000 mi on the rig) so this is a big deal. I got a lesson on how to change them and a good spare. Worth the Tiffin cost for the new cylinder.
Thanks, Richard
Old 08-19-2019, 09:51 AM   #7

Had that issue on our '99 Suncruiser. HWH rebuilt the jack for just over $100 and it worked perfectly after.
f18sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:52 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
FWIW, I am not a fan of WD40. I use a silicone lube on my leveling cylinders whenever I have them extended for a long period of time or when they start to retract slow. So far, so good.
Tahoejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoejeep View Post
FWIW, I am not a fan of WD40. I use a silicone lube on my leveling cylinders whenever I have them extended for a long period of time or when they start to retract slow. So far, so good.
Fan or not, I would think a manufacturer (HWH) recommendations would be a better choice than a shot in the dark with some other substance that may be causing long term damage that could cause failure of all jacks. They designed the cylinders, seals and wipers so they should know best.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
Fan or not, I would think a manufacturer (HWH) recommendations would be a better choice than a shot in the dark with some other substance that may be causing long term damage that could cause failure of all jacks. They designed the cylinders, seals and wipers so they should know best.

+1...
f18sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help