Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #1

Cool Rear of the motor home swing back and forth

the swing of the rear makes the front swing also stabilize needed??????
33 ft 2000 allegro bus
Spud22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2014, 11:59 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
air pressure?
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:30 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

First check how you have it loaded. Do you have excessively heavy things in rear compartments? Next you need to weigh RV and adjust tire pressures to specifications of tire manufacturer for that weight.
If it's still squirrelly, I'd consider alignment and inspect that all suspension parts are tight and you don't need new bushings. Good luck with it. Do the above before buying sway bars, new shocks, etc.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ride height? Bad air bag? And others mentioned...
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:44 PM   #5

It isn't possible to respond since you didn't provide what make chassis you have. My initial thought is that you need a rear track bar (Panhard bar). Whether you need, or can even install, on the front depends on whether you have a solid axle or independent suspension since track bars can't be installed on independent suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud22 View Post
33 ft 2000 allegro bus
Old 03-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Could be just driver driving habits. When I first got our first coach, I had a real hard time keeping it in a straight line and tended to over steer almost constantly causing the rear to kinda sway back and forth.

I eventually learned to not look at the road so close in front of me....in fact, I found that if I looked out several hundred yards that I was able to make less steering adjustments and reduce the amount of the coach moving around.

For me it was juat a matter of getting use to the coach and how it traveled down the road.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are several things that affect this... First: Check suspension, and tire pressure (make sure the pressure is the proper pressure for the load the tires are carrying.. NOT necessarly the pressure on teh sticker and not likely the one molded on the tire, You must weigh the rig (All 4 corners) to get the right pressure)

And finally, On vehicles with leaf suspension it is possible for the frame to "Wag" a bit right and left over the axle.. There is a device you can add that stops this dead.. It is called either a Trac Bar or a Pan Hard bar (Two names, same hunk of steel)

On cars with STRUT suspension it is standard and it is not needed on the front of vehicles with independent front suspension.

But it is on the rear, and on the front with single beam front suspension

And it helps big time.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:27 PM   #8

When I had that problem it was bad shocks, replaced them problem solved
chastho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:00 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanerd View Post
Could be just driver driving habits. When I first got our first coach, I had a real hard time keeping it in a straight line and tended to over steer almost constantly causing the rear to kinda sway back and forth.

I eventually learned to not look at the road so close in front of me....in fact, I found that if I looked out several hundred yards that I was able to make less steering adjustments and reduce the amount of the coach moving around.

For me it was juat a matter of getting use to the coach and how it traveled down the road.

Ron
This same action helped us in a much smaller MH than Ron is driving.
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:15 AM   #10
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud22 View Post
33 ft 2000 allegro bus
A DP that short should not have much rear overhang, so I wouldn't expect that much of a handling problem. If there is, I suspect you have another issue. The following is a list of possibilities:
  1. Check loading. Have the coach weighed as loaded for travel. Preferably weigh all 4 corners.
  2. After doing #1, balance your load as much as possible then adjust tire pressures according to the tire manufacturer's inflation chart.
  3. Check alignment.
  4. Check shocks; and if you have air bags, check them for proper inflation.
  5. If all the above don't solve the problem, consider adding a rear track bar.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote