Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2015, 09:21 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Red 33aa

Can you tell me if the Red 33aa is a good motorhome to purchase? What are the pros and cons. It would be a 2016 Thanks Hal
Hal3848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 04:57 AM   #2

You need to think about your own situation about how many people and how much gear you plan to have in the MH. Also, what vehicle you might want to tow. Nothing is mechanically wrong with the MH. Dave
Old 09-10-2015, 11:23 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I think it is nice (really like the interior space) but it has limited basement storage. You need to consider how you plan to use it and if that limited space is going to be an issue.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 02:36 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
We have one, and really like it. Floorplan works for us perfectly, and unless we wanted a bath and a half don't see a need to go larger. Wife wanted to feel comfortable driving, another reason we didn't want to go 'Bigger is Better'. We primarily didn't want larger, because we want the flexibility to put it into many small parks....and getting over 35' starts to limit access. Have already been in a number of smaller locations, some just wouldn't be possible with larger.

Just got back from a 10 state, 4K mile, 5 week trip, and it worked great. Moved my daughter out west, and packed the MH outbound with a complete bedroom set, kitchen table and 4 chairs, two LR chairs, cedar chest, all of her clothes, and complete kitchen gear.....and all of the wifes and my clothes for our trip. Towed her car on a tow dolly, and used that as our toad outbound. We filled every nook and cranny, but she was completely set up in her new 1BR apartment when we left. Only things we bought out there was a LR sofa, and an area rug.

If I was going to permanently live in a RV, then I'd want to go as big as can get and have as much storage as possible for all my home things. For all of our travels and camping, haven't found a need for anything more.

We keep the MH loaded up and ready to go at all times, and we have a number of empty cabinets and about a third of the storage basement empty. Back closet has minimal in it, under bed has nothing in it, drawers under the dinette have nothing in them...... so all those spaces are available as well.

I love the maneuverability, and personally don't need any more than we already have.

(But, I'm sure a 45' would just be a spectacular ride............)
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 09:05 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
We love ours too. We don't have the washer dryer, so lots of storage that we are happy about. I also like the ease of driving it.

We especially like the layout, the L couch, and spacious set up. We would only need larger if we were full timing. But spending 3 weeks at a time in it has been really great. We don't bring more than our needs, and we don't feel crowded at all. The extra wide slides really make for a large living area.

No problems in 7000 mi., glad it has fit easily in state parks. Oh yeah, 10mpg is really good too. We go about 42mph up steep hills, which is fine for us. I'm sure some like to go faster, in which case the new 360hp engine would be great.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 06:19 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
We find the drivers seats more adjustable and therefore practical than the L portion of the couch, so just twirl the front seats around rather than pulling out the L extension. We too also get exactly 10mpg, but I have not tried any different driving habits yet to see if I can improve upon that. Just put it into econ mode, roll, and set the cruise.

We have the W/D, and find we pack less clothes now.

Move up to the 37PA if you want a larger bathroom and more basement storage, downside is less maneuverability and more cost. It has the same floorplan.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:29 AM   #7

Love ours!!we travel with a greyhound, so we don't pull out the L part of the sofa, and move the chair over there. The dog gets the chair spot.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:35 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Kiawah and Peace Owl, we are contemplating trading off the Navion and getting into a 33aa. What kind of speed are you driving to get the 10mpg?

Thank you!

2014 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
dogs162910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:20 PM   #9

Dogs, if gas mileage is important go to Tiffin website - they just posted the info on the 2016 Breeze with the Cummins new V8 diesel. Dave
Old 09-14-2015, 05:46 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
If traffic permits and is light, I'll set the cruise at 65. Wife will set it a little slower at 60-62. Otherwise I'll match whatever speed the heavier traffic is moving at, which is usually anywhere between 60-70.

I'm actually in Camp Freightliner class in Gaffney, and tomorrow they're going to talk about motorhome MPG tips. We'll see what best practices are then, I guess.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
We went from a 2012 navion 24 iq to the Tiffen diesel. There is a huge difference in comfort and space. Our mph is mostly around 62, and up a steep grade 42. Havnt towed a car yet, but from what I have read is the mpg drops to around 9.5 or better, depending on the hill climbs. Every trip we go on from here involves a steep grade, so we are very happy about the milage.

I do not know what difference the 360hp engine makes as far as deisel milage.

There is a learning curve for parking compared to the Navion, and we use RV parks more often. I do miss the freedom the navion gave us as far as parking anywhere. But so far the comfort, quiet drive, storage, and no more head banging on the cupboard corners have won the test!
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:44 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I've got many miles with a tow with my MPG average. When hauling my daughters stuff NC to CO, pulled her Camry out. Just got home, pulled our CRV down to Clemson SC, then up to Gaffney, then home to NC. Drove the whole trip home tonight on cruise control at 65, slowing only a couple times for heavy traffic, construction zone, police induced backup, a hill, etc.

Freightliner class indicated the best operating spot of the engine/transmission should be at 1780 rpm. I checked tonight and at 65 mph my RPM is at 1725 ....so coincidentally that's right around where I normally comfortably cruise.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:00 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Intuitively I would suspect the better gas mileage would occur more near 50 or 55 since we're pushing a big box refrigerator down the road. I think I have to be up near 62 to be in 6th gear though, so perhaps the added inefficiency of the wind drag is overcome by the efficiency of 6th overdrive.

Didn't buy this to try an maximize efficiency, bought for the floorplan and feature/function. I drive where it's most comfortable for me, making the progress I need to make with the safety I like to have. Mileage is an afterthought, and it is...what it is.